Machis
- 0 (0%)
Marth
- 1 (4.5%)
Rena
- 1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Let's Play Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Chapter Five  (Read 15968 times)

F.O.E.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Sheeda Seduces A Hunter
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 02:07:34 pm »

I suppose now would be a good time to post music, but we have an issue: I can't find any of the Mystery of the Emblem music on the Internet. So have the Shadow Dragon version of the same song instead. It sounds better, anyway.

Here ya go mate. Also PTW

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Chapter Two
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2016, 12:51:41 pm »

Thanks for the link F.O.E.!

Last time on Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, we reached the mainland and wrecked the Garda pirates with Oguma (and also took an unnecessarily long hiatus). Today we meet the next broken Mercenary and also some other people.

Travelling from the frontier regions to Akaneia, Marth's biggest challenge has appeared. The Samsufe Peak is a steep mountain that divides the peninsula into northern and southern regions. Since some unknown time, bandits made it their base, and they started attacking neighbouring villages and travellers. Raids, kidnaps, setting fires... Their crimes are known to many. In fear, the people called the mountain "Devil Mountain". And they called those gathered at Samsufe the demonic "Samsians"...

So apparently it's not the villagers' fault for naming it Devil Mountain. Dearest apologies, random... village guy in chapter 2.

Anyway, some people start running out of a fortress in some sort of mountain valley.

"I heard the Aritian knights have arrived towards the south. Now's our chance to escape. Please hang on, you can do it!"

"I'm sorry... But, I still haven't found my precious Relive staff... Julian! Forget about me and flee yourself! If it's just you, I can teleport you away to safety with my Warp staff."

"How is that going to help? Don't you understand why I betrayed them in the first place? ...Anyway. I will find that staff later. For now, let's just make our escape! Hurry! Go!!"

Just in the nick of time, because a bunch of bandits (and one classy-looking Mercenary) pop out of that clown car fort there.

Before we start the level, let's take a look at the power players here.

Haiman here is the chapter's boss. Not that tough, really. The game hasn't taken off the kiddie gloves yet. :v
Two things to note here are that A) Haiman's name no longer has an unfortunately placed "y", like it does in the Dark Dragon and the Blade of Light translation, and B) Haiman has Rena's Relive staff, meaning we're only one chapter away from having a functioning healer.

Julian is a thief. He picks locks (and bridges later ???). He has surprisingly good stats, but is hindered by his inability to gain weapon ranks.

Rena is a dedicated healer. In the original she would be our second healer, but to save space on the cartridge Mystery took out Riff, the healer we would've gotten in Chapter 1. I don't mind, because both of them suck in the long term and this is literally two games for the price of one because of the size-trimming of Book 1. Anywho, her Warp staff is broken to high heaven because it has infinite range. If you're lucky, you can one-round the final level with it.

Let's go.

Under the Flag - The game's player map theme. I like to imagine its cheery unfittingness to warfare is symbolic of Marth's gleeful Durhuan bloodlust.

Everything until we move onto the next book (e.g. for the next 18 chapters, inclusively) is listed under "Book 1", by the way.

First off, we get Rena and Julian out of there. They'll meet up with Marth's army in a couple turns.

This group has Oguma, Marth, Jeigan, Sheeda, and Gordon. Sheeda is the most critical element here.

The other group will work to clean up the pictured chokepoint in preparation for Marth's group. I realized in hindsight it would've made much more sense to send Marth's group up through the north for a pincer attack of sorts, but live and learn, right?

The enemy comes to meet Marth's army in the pass.

That classy-looking merc has a Kill Sword, which has a very high chance of getting a critical hit and ruining our fun. But more important is that Sheeda is nearby.

In the end our formation looks like this.

Meanwhile with the western front:

In which I forget that only Marth can visit villages.

We ought to be ready to face the chokepoint in a turn or so.

Now for the confrontation. First order of business:

Hi, Navarre.
"Swordfighter Navarre!"

"I have no business with women or children! Get out of here!!"
"Please, stop this unnecessary fighting... and lend your strength to us.
If you're unwilling, you can cut me down with your sword right now."

"...I won't point my sword at women. Since you risked your own life to request for me, I don't have a choice... I will lend my strength to you."

It was at this point I forgot to take a screenshot of his stats, so have it in text format:
LV 3
HP 19
STR 5
SKL 9
SPD 11
LCK 8
WLV 9
DEF 6
RES 0
MOV 7

Navarre is really good. His stats are super-high, he can dodge even better than Oguma, and he has a tendency to become a crit-machine. He singlehandedly inspired the Myrmidon class, and by tradition, almost every game with Myrmidons has at least one you have to recruit from the enemy side (e.g. Ayra, Guy, Joshua AND Marisa, Zihark twice.) He even became a myrmidon in the remakes!

With that taken care of, the violence begins.

The killing spree begins with another highly unnecessary crit from Marth.

Excellent work, Marth.

Next up is Oguma's job.

You people really hate thieves! o_o

Finally, I move Navarre up to stop that archer from shooting Sheeda.

The paladins and fighters have finally arrived at the chokepoint. These archers are guarding it, and I want to draw the enemies out one by one.

But Doga isn't here yet.

On the enemy phase, Oguma scores a mediocre level-up.

Gordon takes care of this guy. He'll probably eventually be outclassed by Kashim, who gets a free horse, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Hey, Strength? Not bad. There's hope for you yet.

Marth and Sheeda tag-team that hunter.

Now for Navarre's first real fight. The Kill Sword must be preserved, for it is a rare commodity that scores lots of critical hits.

Like so.

Next, we start advancing everybody to the west to take on Haiman's stronghold.

Doga is just barely in the range of this archer, and I intend to lure out the archer with him. Since he's practically invincible and all.

Of course, they didn't take the bait, so I moved him closer.

And again.

Instead he attracts Haiman's cronies who were guarding the castle with him. They can barely scratch him.

At long last, Marth reaches the village, where he is confronted by an old man.

"Hoho! You're looking very lively, young lad! It isn't an easy

What do think? It looks impressive, no? However... This Devil Axe is a cursed axe that draws blood from its user. It would be best not to use it at all!!"

Then why the hell are you giving it to us, you old loon?!

On the enemy's turn, Doga nearly kills this bandit...

...and Kashim finishes the job.

Abel and

Barts work together to finish off this guy.

Kain and Sheeda kill the other archer. We are only left with a couple bandits and Haiman. Sheeda is also something of a crit-machine. The reason we get so many crits is also related to the fact that the enemy team is literally not permitted to have a luck stat.

Around this point, Victory Nears starts playing. It's the "end-of-map" theme for this game that tells you you're kicking ass and almost done. (Which reminds me of a strange bit of trivia: almost every game after this has a song that serves this purpose, but Path of Radiance's absolutely awesome version, "Victory is Near", only plays in two chapters. Nobody's sure why.)

Sheeda kills the boss's left-hand man...

...and gets a very Sheeda-ish level for it. She has a spectacularly low STR growth that will greatly hinder her lategame viability.

Kain and Abel ride up to kill the remaining bandits before we take on Haiman.

Almost there!

Doga finishes one of these two.

Sheeda takes the other...

and gets free medicine for her efforts.

Gordon and, uh, Kain? Abel? take on the last non-boss guy.

Marth hands Navarre his spare sword to preserve the Kill Sword's uses. Worth noting is that you can buy more Rapiers, unlike later games, so Marth doesn't have anything to be afraid of only using the Rapier (until he gets the Falchion, that is, which is unbreakable)

I park Barts in front of the boss to gauge his strength.

They exchange complete misses with one another.

Oguma will have none of that.

oguma wai

Oh, and he got Rena's staff back, too. This will be greatly appreciated.

Haiman confesses his love for Oguma in his dying moments. How bittersweet ;_;

And that's that!

who are you
"We found 10000 Gold inside the castle, which the bandits left behind. With these we can make further preparations. Excellent! Tomorrow we will reach Orleans. Until then, please rest well."

(This is Morodof, Marth's tactician, by the way. Maybe he's Robin's great-great-great-great-great grandfather or something? In any case, I guess that means he's me?)

Next time on Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem:

Attack on Orleans
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Chapter Three
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2016, 01:02:12 pm »

Yissssss, I've waited for this update too long you bastard and I want moar.

Navarre so broek. Suprisingly Sheeda murders quite well, in my playthroughs she was really... bleh.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Chapter Three
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2016, 01:58:17 pm »

Somehow the camera man got popup ads on this old timey camera.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Forgive the pointers I left in there, please.)
Chapter 4 - Knights of Orleans
The plains to the north east of Akaneia are ruled by the Kingdom of Orleans. Since its formation, it has had a close relationship with the Holy Kingdom of Akaneia, to the north. Other countries have completely fallen, and one half of Orleans has been conquered by Macedonia. However the King's younger brother, Hardin, nicknamed the "Wolf of the Plains", continues fighting. It was also thanks to Duke Hardin that Akaneia's Princess Nina was able to arrive safely. It has already been several months since letters were sent, containing plans to defeat the Durhua Empire... But these sad cries for help were left unanswered. Facing the Macedonian army's elite forces, their fate is also reaching its end...

We're going to need 10 soldiers for this map, so I've put up a poll. Marth always has to come, and Rena is coming along for my own nefarious purposes, so pick 8 units.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:00:28 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

I'm all for Doga and Oguma. The rest are just kinda there. Tank with a beater? Love it
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTW
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Chapter Five
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2016, 12:40:02 pm »

"Jeigan?"
"Yes, my lord?"
"Is it just me, or does it feel like we've been marching to Orleans for a month?"
"Aye, my lord. I'm just as puzzled as you are."

You asked for it. Say goodbye to Jeigan, probably, I doubt he's ever going to find his way off that bench.

Now, then: pre-chapter opening conversation!
"Princess Nina, the Aritian army has appeared across the river."
"Huh? Is that true, Hardin? Does that mean Prince Marth has finally come...?"
"That's right. Now we can finally restore our army's strength. But, Princess Nina, it's going to be dangerous, so please wait inside the fort. We will come back together with the Aritian knights. Men, charge!"

Does this mean...?

HELL YEAH THE CAVALRY'S HERE

Let's have a run-down of this Hardin gentleman's army.

Wolf is a Horseman, a promoted hunter. He's not too bad, and there's apparently some sort of minor meme concerning him being an uber-unit in the remake. Kashim will probably turn out better if we give him time.

Zagaro is a pathetic knockoff of Wolf and the only notable thing about him is that in the original game he, Wolf, and Gordon all had this uncanny resemblance to one another. (read: palette swap)

These guys are pretty forgettable. I don't even remember if Roshe is good or not, but Biraku sucks.

This guy. This freaking guy. Hardin rocks. He's basically objectively superior to Kain and Abel and he's basically guaranteed a spot on our team. Plus he's got that badass mustache and inexplicable turban.

We also get to see plenty more of him in Book 2!

So anyway, Hardin's team here splits up; Wolf and Hardin head west to take on the peg knight up north, while the other guys head the other way to meet up with Marth's team.

Meanwhile, Marth, Oguma, and Navarre prepare to take on the enemies in the northeast while everybody else heads west to meet up with Hardin.

Oh, you!

On our turn, I note this gentleman hanging around by the bridge.

Let us take a moment to compare his Attack to Kain's defense.

Why is that guy even in their army?

We have a vested interest in this particular cavalier, so I've sent Hardin to lure the other two riders beyond his range.

Roshe and Biraku try to help.

Zagaro helps too.

Meanwhile, back on the Marth side of things...

Oguma or Navarre -- I forget which -- takes on this pegasus knight...

Barts strolls over to finish off this guy...

Navare or Oguma takes on this helpless archer...

And Marth nearly ends the northeastern threat.

Keep it up, Marth! You're making us proud!

Sheeda finishes what Kain started.

And takes a level in Yoda.

On the western front with Hardin and Wolf, I have a devious plan: lure the pegasus knight over using Hardin as bait, then have Wolf run in and finish the job.

I feel bad when I use good units as bait :c

Why can't you ever get timely crits Marth ;__;

Let's give Julian a kill for our own amusement.

Oh hey cool.

Somebody's going to appreciate this. Not sure who. Hardin?

Instead of trying to make Roshe or Biraku useful I just have Zagaro set up the kill for someone good.

Like so.

But Biraku wants that kill for himself. Damn it Biraku >:|

Kain will have none of this kill-stealing.

Excellent.

Also, Sheeda pokes a harmless priest.

Come on Sheeda, give us some Strength... :|

Just as planned! I really wish I didn't have to bench you for Kashim!

Nothing particularly interesting happens on the enemy phase.

Navarre will be finishing the job on this archer.

Curses, no levels yet :I

Marth will be making a beeline for the northern house, then stop at the southern one on his way back to the front.

Barts, Oguma, and Navarre all head over to rejoin the rest of the army.

Now to bring Kashim one step closer to Horsemanship.

Aw yiss.

Did I mention that Kashim has the unusual honor of being an archer who, upon promotion, loses his ability to use a bow indoors? The Dismounting mechanic causes that, so he'll use swords instead then. It also finally makes his Defence stat useful!

Anyway, four enemies left.

You can start up "Theme of Encounter" again.

"Yeah, it's me! When I was studying at Khadein, I heard war broke out so I came to look for your highness."
"Really...? Thank you. With you in our ranks, I can relax. You will help me, right?"
"Of course. Check out the might of my Excalibur magic that I learnt at Khadein."

And boy, will we ever see the might of his Excalibur magic that he learnt at Khadein.

You're a wizard, Marich!

As you might expect, Marich is squishy as hell but packs a punch. Since practically nobody in this game has a meaningful amount of Resistance, Marich is arguably even better than even the broken wizards in the series like Soren and Pent. We get an even better mage later, though, but Marich is still pretty good. Plus, Excalibur is specific to him, and I think it deals bonus damage to fliers.

Rena heals up Biraku. Which reminds me: Rena will be useless by midgame, unfortunately. Mages and Clerics both promote into Bishops and both can use staves and magic, and Rena's growths are pisspoor while the magic-users' growths rock. Plus, the really good magic users get exclusive weapons, while Rena and other dedicated healers have none of that.

Also, the knight standing up north is apparently an IronNite instead of a Macedonian or Grunian or whatever. Maybe there's a secret tribe of IronNites in the mountains that pledge their services to others in times of war o_o

Also, Sheeda can't actually hurt him. Oh well.

Marich checks out the armory on his way south and finds nothing of interest aside from the shopkeeper's suspicious resemblance to Hardin.

The IronNite will have none of this 'meaningful damage" nonsense.

At long last, Marth reaches the southern house. Some random villager speaks to him:
"Kid, what are you looking at? You haven't seen many rural towns like this? Now that you mention it, I remember the time I went to Peraty. I was really shocked when I first saw a Mamkute... An ordinary looking old man suddenly transformed into a gigantic dragon. That was really... surprising.
Well...
I knew that the dragon tribe had some survivors. But I didn't expect them to be so impressive. Huh...? Oh... This? I found it there.
I don't know what it is, but you don't see many glowing red stones like this, right?"

"See you, kid. I hope we can meet again."

This guy is an absolute genius, handing glowing red rocks to strangers.

Marich pulls out his Blizzard tome to save uses of Excalibur...

...and scoffs at the silly boys in metal pants.

Several times.

You'll also note I moved Rena into the middle of a field over there. Why, might you ask? You will see soon.

Now, let's look at the boss.

Nothing special. That NiteKiller will never be used meaningfully.

Whose?

Meh. He didn't look important anyway.

Yes I did.

Because I left Rena out in the middle of a field, the cavalier I left alive went after her! Oh no!

The tone of this conversation is dramatically changed by our friend here's attempt to brutally murder his sister.

"Ah, Rena!? Why are you here...?"
"I was captured by the Devil Mountain bandits, but the Aritians rescued me. But, brother, why are you in the army?"
"After you fled from Prince Misheil, Macedonia became more and more ruthless. The prince despised me, so he forced me to join the army and fight here. I detest fighting, but if I don't cooperate, they'll execute me. I don't really have a choice."
"No, brother. You should have been brave and walked on your own path! It was Macedonia that was wrong, for allying with the Durhua Empire and causing its people to suffer. What they're doing is deplorable. Brother, it's not too late. Come with us, and join the Aritia Alliance. Everybody will welcome you, because they're all good people."
"...Really? I understand. Since I'm going to die anyway, I might as well die a glorious death. However I heard that you flatly denied the prince's proposal. My life is going to be hard with a sister like you. That said, you're still a woman. Are there any guys that take your fancy?"
"Huh...? No, there's nobody..."
"Huh? I was so sure there was. Nevermind, you've already reached the age to freely love. But, remember what I am about to say: Never fall in love with a thief."
"...Huh...? But..."
"...Okay, that's good. Well, Rena, don't push yourself too hard. I'll just go and say my farewells to the Macedonian army."

HINT

HINT

Machis's only redeeming feature is that his portrait isn't an exact clone of Biraku this time. That is to say, he sucks.

So anyway, that's everything. All we have left is to seize the castle.

"Oh, Prince Marth, you came at the perfect time. Princess Nina has almost arrived here from the fort. However there are still many enemies in the castle. Please be careful."

"Have fun stormin' the castle!"

Next time on Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
"This Fire Emblem is the symbol of the Akaneia royal family. It is the proof of a conqueror, and given to the saviour of the world."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2017, 12:48:52 pm »

A long-awaited update draws near!

I finally managed to hook up an emulator on my new computer and am currently working through the first few chapters over. Since we're so early into the game nothing much will have changed, so I'm hoping I'll have a new update up relatively soon.

Unfortunately, this emulator doesn't have screenshot capabilities, so the screenshots will probably look considerably different because of the alternative way I'm taking them. It should otherwise be business as usual.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2017, 05:46:36 pm »

Alt+print screen is best friends with the program called paint. I use it all the time.

I was gonna do something similar to this with Genealogy of the Holy War (in hopes of it making you start this back up) but I'll let you take over since you seem to be the one with better knowledge about this series and you seem to make it more entertaining.

And, you know, you're probably 100x better than me at this since I can't get past the third stage of this game, embarrassingly enough...

I am SO happy you decided to pick this back up! :D

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2017, 06:36:55 pm »

Actually, I'm terrible at Genealogy. Last time I fired it up I somehow managed to get someone killed during the prologue.

Mystery is a really long game, anyway; it's a remake of the first game with the sequel appended to it. Something like 40 total chapters.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2017, 06:55:02 pm »

Actually, I'm terrible at Genealogy. Last time I fired it up I somehow managed to get someone killed during the prologue.

Mystery is a really long game, anyway; it's a remake of the first game with the sequel appended to it. Something like 40 total chapters.
I meant Mystery of the Emblem when I said "this game". I'm on chapter 2 of Genealogy and the perfectionist in me is trying too hard to get that blasted knight ring. And to be 100% fair, the prologue should've been a chapter all in its own. The maps in Genealogy are massive, even the prologue takes time to do. Its why I'm glad theres a setting to save every turn

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2017, 04:08:24 am »

Finally :V

Praised be Tawa.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2017, 12:28:33 pm »

PTW! Thank you for a fun playthrough. :D
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 2 [3]