Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40.24 ---> 42.06, Save compatibility  (Read 919 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
40.24 ---> 42.06, Save compatibility
« on: February 24, 2016, 02:35:43 am »

The new version has been out for a while now. Based on the wiki banner, saves from 40.24 should be compatible with 42.03 42.06.

For those who have done this, how has the game been so far?
Any major/minor bugs that have occurred?
Noticeable differences after the upgrade?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:35:13 am by Bearskie »

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: 40.24 ---> 42.03, Save compatibility
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:42:51 am »

Bugs are, well, 42. bugs. Tons of them.
New features require new world.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: 40.24 ---> 42.03, Save compatibility
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 04:58:50 am »

Saves should be mostly compatible back to .40 if I remember right. You shouldn't notice too many problems but this is Dwarf Fortress, so it's a question of when things will break, not if.
I'm assuming you mean backwards compatibility, as in, loading a save from .42.03 in .42.04, rather than the other way around. I've no idea how loading newer saves would work, or why you'd even want to do that.

New features require new world.
Usually, but there's a few exceptions that I can't think of.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: 40.24 ---> 42.06, Save compatibility
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 08:07:03 am »

Thanks for the feedback. Any other players who had first-hand experience with this?

Generally more concerned about game-breaking bugs experienced by those who migrated 40.24 forts to 42.06 and continued playing them. Eg. sudden crashes, save corruption, that sort of thing. If it is stable, I might be considering it for a certain succession fort.

EDIT -- I realized I was actually talking about 42.06, sorry.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 08:33:24 am by Bearskie »

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40.24 ---> 42.06, Save compatibility
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 10:51:18 pm »

The main problem is books and scholars.  While you can make libraries, temples. and taverns, I don't think you'll gain any visitors nor will you be able to make books.  You might get a few visitors, but "preforming troupes" and master/student relationships (for scholars) are generated in world gen and might need reactions to do so, which will not happen in a converted save.  Also, neither your caravan will provide books (since they weren't created in world-gen) nor will you be able to write them natively in your fort (since the paper making/book binding reactions will be missing).  Also, zombies will still be OP as fack (since that changes needs the zombies to have been made in 42.05/06). 

However, technically the save will be compatible.