Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Your Adventure Mode Building Projects?  (Read 33739 times)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: Your Adventure Mode Building Projects?
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2016, 04:43:59 am »

also climbing a tree eats all the speed your character can do and set you up for an in level ambush.

It's avoidable if you keep sneak/ambusher on so you can see the vision field(s) of whatever's in the tree before climbing. If you're underground, you should probably have sneak/ambusher on at all times, at least if you're by yourself. Otherwise you're playing the webbing lottery.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2016, 05:05:03 am »

also climbing a tree eats all the speed your character can do and set you up for an in level ambush.

It's avoidable if you keep sneak/ambusher on so you can see the vision field(s) of whatever's in the tree before climbing. If you're underground, you should probably have sneak/ambusher on at all times, at least if you're by yourself. Otherwise you're playing the webbing lottery.
also notice you can just jump out of webs and pick them back up and put them in any way you want on the camp site.
so you can have a giant room filled with spider webs if you want. and the stuff hangs in the air too so if you're a climber and want to add flair to a room.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2016, 02:30:48 pm »

Building a little township for my not-so-little rhinoceros man adventurer and his great horde of parchment sheets.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Building in the center-left with the divided rooms is a bunkhouse for my twelve companions, building beside it is the main hall/keep with my personal quarters on the second level. Two buildings to the north I'm not using at the moment. On the second level they support my balcony with fortifications.
Building to the south is a library, where I'm tossing all my books and bookmaking supplies. Third level is currently undeveloped, not sure how to proceed overall.

Creek/ponds freeze over at night, apparently. I guess it's a sorta temperate-warm climate. It is 23rd slate, so still spring.
Giant hamsters, jaguars, so on roam the area. loads of fun. I built
I've got another 18 z-levels to play with above the three I'm working with now.

Oh yeah, and I built a series of spaced-out pillars around the entire camp boundary, partly to remind myself when I'm about to leave the area. Thinking about developing actual walls, but that would require actual effort.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 02:33:32 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 01, 2016, 02:24:00 pm »

I totally did the spaced pillars around the boundary thing too!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2016, 06:18:43 am »

so just found out you can build floor grates in trees like a the old fortmode way of building roads in trees with minecart tracks. this opens up to adv tree forts
"body swapping and YOU!"

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2016, 10:23:02 am »

so just found out you can build floor grates in trees like a the old fortmode way of building roads in trees with minecart tracks. this opens up to adv tree forts

Now you can become a real elf. o3o

Wait, you'd logically need a way to transmutate pulled branches into logs...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2016, 08:21:58 pm »

Now you can become a real elf. o3o

Wait, you'd logically need a way to transmutate pulled branches into logs...
kinda funny you say that as I'm playing an elf during this discovery.
probably skip the middleman and just make a heave spawn logs.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:33:09 pm by Rumrusher »
"body swapping and YOU!"

Licoricemint

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2016, 02:31:03 pm »

Hi,

Sorry for being a noob. Is there a link or guide on how to actually build structures and gather the necessary material for them? I'm not asking for a detailed response as I know people hate writing. I'm just asking if there is already a guide that someone has written up.

Best Regards,
Licoricemint

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2016, 02:39:21 pm »

Hi,

Sorry for being a noob. Is there a link or guide on how to actually build structures and gather the necessary material for them? I'm not asking for a detailed response as I know people hate writing. I'm just asking if there is already a guide that someone has written up.

Best Regards,
Licoricemint

I STARTED to implment a guide for it in the adventure mode page on the wiki, but it's a rather involved subject to cover. Wasn't sure how to found it.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2016, 12:16:10 am »

Hi,

Best Regards,
Licoricemint
1. Stone axes
If you're an axedwarf or axe(wo)man, you have an axe and can ignore this.

2. Gathering materials
Similar to the above.

3. Starting point
Bogeymen are present by default. Since you're away from civilization and shelter, your first goal is to build a 2 tile shelter which is just two pillars and 2 floor tiles for a roof. You don't need a complete enclosure, just a roof. In fact, you actually just need 1 pillar/wall tile and 1 floor tile for a roof.

Now you're ready to experiment with however you want to build your structure in safety. Just keep an eye on the time it takes to complete a task as you'll need to head to your shelter before it gets dark out.

Licoricemint

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2016, 01:05:05 am »

Hi peasant cretin,

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Best Regards,
Licoricemint

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2016, 04:19:40 pm »

It also helps to drop by the local hillocks to pick up some drunks first. Building is much faster and it eliminates the bogeyman issue.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2016, 04:38:28 pm »

Hi peasant cretin,

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Best Regards,
Licoricemint

NP :)

It also helps to drop by the local hillocks to pick up some drunks first. Building is much faster and it eliminates the bogeyman issue.

This is true. I haven't recruited anyone for building, probably because I like that whole Henry David Thoreau build cabin in the woods effect. Solo building certainly is time consuming.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2016, 04:59:29 pm »

bogeyman issue could be solved easily by building a roof first and build the rest of the house under it.
going for a wall move up a zlevel floor will do it, takes 2 hours and if you start early enough you can save you some hassle.
that said ambushes are still a thing in this game and you can and will need to defend yourself from hostiles while building, best to build an escape room incase you end up ambushed.
and if all else fails setting up a Retire spot in the house is a good away to escape, you do lose out a good set of days but your character might be alive and you can switch over to another project or character.
"body swapping and YOU!"

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2016, 05:56:19 pm »

Yeah, I got the roof idea from your posts Rumrusher. Very helpful!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13