Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it still possible to embark as a dead civ?  (Read 4026 times)

Crowbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it still possible to embark as a dead civ?
« on: March 29, 2016, 05:04:01 am »

One of the two dwarven civilizations in the world I've been playing died out early in world gen; they made a few sites but got destroyed by bastard elves and a forgotten beast.

I'd like to "resurrect" them if that's still possible; roleplay as surviving members who'd been hiding out somewhere; playing a few forts and adventurers. I remember doing something like that in the past, but I don't get the option to select the dead civ at embark. If I reclaim one of their ruins, it gets taken by the other dwarven civ instead. I suspect that this is because there's not a single surviving member.

Is there some way I can force embark with the dead civ? Or hack a fortress to a different owner or something?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:09:28 am by Crowbeard »

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: Is it still possible to embark as a dead civ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 05:18:44 am »

If there's literally no one there and they're all dead, I don't think you'll be able to play as them at all.

When you say you played as a dead civ in the past, are you entirely sure? You could have been playing as a "dying" civ, which is on its last legs but still has a few people.

You would have got an embark message "Your civ is dying, your dwarves may assume important roles yadda yadda yadda".

As for hacking it, I'm not sure. Someone here probably knows, but undoubtedly if it does work you'll still run into problems and Fun due to the nature of a dead civ.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 05:54:20 am »

I guess you could name it the same as a dead civ, embark on their ruins and pretend those 7 are survivors...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 06:12:20 am »

An actual dead civ won't appear in the civ list to play. Remember though that  'dwarf' isn't a civ, a standard world will have several dwarf civs. You'll only get no dwarves if every civ has been reduced to 0 population.

That said, it's very hard to kill a civ completely unless you're playing small low-population worlds. Refugees and nomads can be found all over the place even when no more sites exist. While these groups exist, Dwarf Mode can be played.

Crowbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 06:57:41 am »

Thank you very much for the information and advice. I guess the time I remember the civ wasn't completely dead. In this world, the last member died in year 29.

Seems I'm out of luck with 'resurrecting' them.

I think it'd be a neat feature if an adventurer could declare allegiance to a civ and claim a site for them.

Well, I guess I can just set the population cap low and pretend, even if the game won't acknowledge it. :)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 07:56:05 am »

You can only play a civ that's actually dead if every dwarven civ is dead. If there's a single dwarven civ that's struggling/dying/<whatever term you want to use>... left all the dead ones are culled from the embark civ selection list. Struggling civs are selectable along with fully healthy ones, though.

It's quite difficult to actually get a dead civ, as they have a tenacious tendency to cling to existence despite the last dwarf or other civ member dying hundreds of years ago, and a fair number of forumites claim the traits of dead civs are incorrectly described as they play "dead" civs that are actually "just" struggling and haven't drawn a breath for a thousand years (and should be dead as a door nail according to any normal criteria). I've been trying to generate dead civs to play and actually succeed, but it takes a lot of failed attempts to get one.

The only way I've found to know if a civ is actually dead when all signs I know of indicates it is is to embark and check the civ screen. If it's completely empty the civ is dead, otherwise you'll find a dwarven civ entry that expands. This expansion may still say the civ has no important leaders, but you'll get a monarch and all the rest anyway. A dead civ's mother civ appears on the civ screen at the arrival of the first caravan, together with that caravan's civ.

The basic way to increase the chance of a dead civ is to modify the dwarven entry in entity_defaults.txt to set the max number of civs to 1, to ensure a single dead civ means all civs are dead. vjek's done some further experimentation recently, but I failed to find the post when I looked for it.

Legends mode tells of a struggling civ (as displayed by Legends Viewer):
- The civ has any sites left (including "slowly repopulating" ones)
- A monarch is appointed after the fall of the last site.
- The list of wars shows ongoing wars.
Even in the absence of these indications, at least 9 out of 10 candidates turn out to just take a nap. Absence of any dwarves at all in the world is a good start, but, again, is certainly not sufficient, and, I believe, not necessary (you can certainly have dwarven necros left, and I think members of other civs might be possible, although I haven't found such a case).

The above assumes you actually want a dead civ, and not just a struggling one, as well as knowing the differences between the two cases.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 11:10:24 am »

... The only way I've found to know if a civ is actually dead when all signs I know of indicates it is is to embark and check the civ screen. If it's completely empty the civ is dead, otherwise you'll find a dwarven civ entry that expands. ...
Yep, this has been my experience as well.  Check the civ screen at embark, blank screen means a dead civ.
There are other indicators, but none are as certain as this.

The main difference between a dead civ versus a dying civ is that with a dead civ, you don't get liaison visits or caravan visits.  However, IIRC, you will still get the first two hardcoded migrant waves in the summer & autumn after embark.  After that, though, you will be on your own.  No more help or visits.

This has some consequences though, given the game by default won't send goblin sieges until your fortress population reaches 80.  So if that's something you want, keep that in mind, Crowbeard.

I have a few templates for generating dead civ worlds, which are reasonably reliable if you're interested, let me know here or in a PM.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 12:08:49 pm »

When playing a dead civ I set all the goblin (and human and elf ones as well, just for the sake of it) invasion triggers to 1 and the megabeast one to 15. It can also be noted that you can still increase your pop through visitors (and gremlins! But that takes a while) becoming citizens (I don't know if residents count towards the pop triggers, though), but the best way to get a pop up to the 20 limit is to make use of pre honeymoon suites (and the other two limits should allow the gobbos to visit quickly anyway).

Crowbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 04:50:55 pm »

I have a few templates for generating dead civ worlds, which are reasonably reliable if you're interested, let me know here or in a PM.

Oh, I'd definitely like to experiment with truly dead civs. It's fine if there's problems and 'missing' features; having a different experience to usual is part of the fun. Would you mind sharing the templates here? :D

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 05:10:36 pm »

Oh, I'd definitely like to experiment with truly dead civs. It's fine if there's problems and 'missing' features; having a different experience to usual is part of the fun. Would you mind sharing the templates here? :D

Here's one with a dead dwarven civ, for certain.  Empty civ screen on embark.  Has ~10k goblins as well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you remove the seeds, it should generate dead-dwarven-civ worlds most of the time.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 05:16:31 pm »

What's important to note is that often, a civ will have "landless" members.  A civ can have all its home cities conquered, but still have some of its members living as vagabonds in the wilderness "somewhere". You can often embark with a civ that exists merely as a few scraps of vagabonds whose population is too small to send any real migrants.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Crowbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 05:39:52 pm »

Here's one with a dead dwarven civ, for certain.  Empty civ screen on embark.  Has ~10k goblins as well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you remove the seeds, it should generate dead-dwarven-civ worlds most of the time.

That's perfect. I very much appreciate you and PatrikLundell sharing your expertise in this matter. You guys rock! Thank you so much. :D

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 05:41:18 pm »

An actual dead civ won't appear in the civ list to play. Remember though that  'dwarf' isn't a civ, a standard world will have several dwarf civs. You'll only get no dwarves if every civ has been reduced to 0 population.

That said, it's very hard to kill a civ completely unless you're playing small low-population worlds. Refugees and nomads can be found all over the place even when no more sites exist. While these groups exist, Dwarf Mode can be played.

Exactly this. Restoring a dying civilization to its former glory and having the diaspora flock to your banner is quite satisfying.

It's also all the more tragic when something inevitably !!fun!! happens.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 08:48:21 pm »

so when in my world, in one civ there are no sites, but i could stil lselect them during embark-selection.
that civ would stil lhave vagabonds around? would this also mean i would likely lack some starting ressources?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 02:13:44 am »

nO. struggling civs send caravans, liaisons, and migrants (usually mostly void dwarves) just as a healthy one doeS. the only differences between a healthy and a struggling civ are historical vs void dwarf migrants and the high risk of being saddled with a monarch for a struggling ciV. also note that your healthy civ can immediately become a struggling one as invaders take over the mountainhome and no site more prominent than your own exists to take up the mantlE.

if there are other civs that do have sites are available for selection on embark the site less one is struggling, not dead, as dead ones are culleD.