Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "Momuz Uzolikal, Dwarf Clerk necromancer - New Arrival"... What?  (Read 9048 times)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Momuz Uzolikal, Dwarf Clerk necromancer - New Arrival"... What?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 09:16:18 pm »

On another note, the trade depot where the wagons spontaneously disappeared suddenly began spewing out miasma, which may have been a result of whatever caused the traders to flee in horror.
When the wagon scuttled, it dropped all it's stuff as forbidden.

If there was food, and you didn't unforbid it, then the dwarves will not have been able to move it to a food stockpile, and, miasma.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Redman the Communist

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:LIGHT] [SPHERE:HEALING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 01:10:37 am »

A fortress where the trade depots are carnivorous monsters, and a necromancer came to join the fortress to recite poetry at a bar. Now all you need is a clown to take over your fortress as a god, and you'll be in business for the most horrifying fortress across the lands.
A light cannot fade by darkness
it will shine even in the darkest corners of the world.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 04:22:31 am »

There was a necromancer fort somewhere over at community stories subforum, can't find it, though.
But, as far as I remember undead raised (sometimes spontaneously, assumed to be in tantrum / barfight or something) by dwarves are hostile to anyone alive. Now, if you also made everyone a vampire, THAT might be a viable solution.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 05:12:56 am »

Necromancers in the latest versions have the zombies in check with who's side they are on, so you can relax a little from a unintended corpse party, he's a member of your fort so forgeddaboutit.

The worst possible thing i could imagine for yourself occurring, is either a personal conflict tavern brawl/arguement near your butcher/corpse depository or a loyalty cascade that could spiral very quickly when the dead, comrades and all start to rise, though if you could catch your zombie animals/peons they should make excellent zoo exhibits since they are in effect immortal animals that dont need to be fed, being mindless animals too it should in theory be capable for you to trade them away at a profit.

Ahh. Neutrals im not sure how they'd react. Best to keep that guy burrowed from when you need him away from the outpost liason and tavern guests.

EDIT - Attach some war animals onto him, and when the war animals inevitably kick the bucket from age or injury they'll ressurect into better zombies than a base animal dying due to the war training, hunting animals might also make the zombies speedier, could be a factor to better charges if strength doesn't apply. Not to mention  the concept of a 'tame' undead forgotten beast potentially and other creatures.

Churn whatever is left behind in a weapon trap meat grinder to kill it once you re-trap your dead buddies.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:21:14 am by FantasticDorf »

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 02:43:42 am »

:o  I'm jealous!

I think you should do everything you can to make your undead poet feel at home. Maybe build him a corpse stockpile next to his favorite tavern? Also it sounds like this tavern needs a mascot. Maybe something small, rather harmless but with a fiesty attitude like a crundle.

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: nonsensical euphemisms] [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 08:10:28 pm »

So far, no progress on getting Momuz to GIVE US HIS SECRETS write about necromancy. On another subject however, a werepanda showed up.

(accidently forgot to move my cursor)

The story here is that the thing killed a cow, but reverted to human before I could even raise the gates, then began running in circles. Upon seeing a brewer in the open that was gathering fruit to make wine, he attacked them, at which point the brewer began beating the poor sod to death with a chalk scepter.

(This, by the way, went on for 8 pages.)

The militia then arrived and began setting upon the thing with pickaxes and arrows. And, as it turns out, I had previously assigned the dwarf who would become mayor to the squad, so he ALSO ran out of the fortress and began punching him, all while the brewer was continuing to bop the guy on the head with a stick.

(The "hammerdwarves" are actually miners, in this case.)

I assigned the necromancer to the militia for !!scientific purposes!! but the werepanda died before he could reach the rest of the squad, so I didn't get to see if it would work.

So yeah. I'll continue keeping you guys updated.

EDIT: A forgotten beast showed up, wandered around for a little bit, then left.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:58:19 pm by Prop42 »
@: You: "Can you tell me where I can find me?"
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 10:11:52 am »

Well, nevermind, everyone. The data got corrupted for no apparent reason whatsoever. Probably McAfee.

So, the conclusions of this... "experiment":

* Necromancer Dorfs can be friendly, productive members of society academia.
* Necromancer Dorfs are stingy with their knowledge and don't seem to be interested in writing about LIFE AND DEATHtm.
* Werepandas are liable to revert to normal immediately upon entering the map.
* Wagons react violently with dead bodies, resulting in unhappy traders and trade goods strewn across the depot.
* NOT MENTIONED: Dorfs can fall several Z levels into a cavern through an Up/Down staircase while chasing crundles.
* ALSO NOT MENTIONED: Crundles can apparently run across stale cavern air to reach staircases.

I hope we've all benefited from this absolutely useless knowledge.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:45:30 pm by Prop42 »
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 05:40:12 am »

Regarding the levitating crundles, I think they were probably just climbing. I've seen other cavern creatures do it, like GCSes, trolls, blind cave ogres, troglodytes, and once even a bunch of floating eyes.

Also, were you able to confirm what FantasticDorf said, that zombies reanimated by friendly necromancers are friendly?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 03:16:24 pm »

(words)

Also, were you able to confirm what FantasticDorf said, that zombies reanimated by friendly necromancers are friendly?

No. I tried to get the necromancer up to fight things, but I didn't get a chance to before Dorf Fort crashed and made my computer shit itself.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 06:56:11 pm »

We need to verify this.

It's a shame that dfhack hasnt caught up yet, otherwise I would suggest embarking on top of a necromancer tower, then imploding it. (kills all the hostile inhabitants, secures a tablet.)

the tablet could then be placed inside the library, and SCIENCE could happen.

We will either have to wait for another random necromancer migrant, or for dfhack to catch up, but undead raising military dwarves would be a fine addition to dwarven daycare.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2016, 07:40:15 pm »

There's a dfhack alpha for .06. In fact, there was even a second release of it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 07:48:29 pm »

I may have to perform some experiments then... I only need the embark anywhere plugin.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2016, 12:29:50 am »

Ok, I am pulling the 2nd alpha version of DFHack now.  I will begin the experiment.

Aside from testing if dwarves reading in the library can become necromancers, and testing to see if friendly necromancer raised zombies are hostile to other fortress residents, are there any other tests that you guys feel I should run?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 05:56:22 am »

Ok, I am pulling the 2nd alpha version of DFHack now.  I will begin the experiment.

Aside from testing if dwarves reading in the library can become necromancers, and testing to see if friendly necromancer raised zombies are hostile to other fortress residents, are there any other tests that you guys feel I should run?

> What makes a effective zombie, and how do zombies fit into the day-to-day cycle of fortress life away from combat (immortal zoo exhibits is a suggestion in that direction but it's up to you)
> Means of butchering friendly zombies via traps for enhanced meat/leather production
> Do zombies calm down after a loyalty cascade if the opposing side wins. (assuming there are any left and your necro has been struck down)

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 01:20:38 pm »

I'm honestly curious as to how this will work out.

Actually, couldn't one just modify the raws and make dorfs, by default, necromancers? Or, if its possible, make it so that every book includes the secrets of life and death, somehow? Doing something like that seems a lot easier.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 01:23:50 pm by Prop42 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3