Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "Momuz Uzolikal, Dwarf Clerk necromancer - New Arrival"... What?  (Read 8916 times)

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: nonsensical euphemisms] [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
"Momuz Uzolikal, Dwarf Clerk necromancer - New Arrival"... What?
« on: February 22, 2016, 04:23:04 pm »

Alright, I am... incredibly confused. So, my fortress was doing pretty alright, and a wave of migrants arrived... I looked through them and saw this:

I'm... honestly not sure if this is an intentional feature. I'm aware that necromancers can, shall we say, "visit" your fort, but aren't they supposed to... I don't know, have a pseudonym or something? Is this a friendly necromancer, whose undead allies will assist us with researching biology or something?

Looking through his relationships, he seems to be a completely normal dwarf, with family and, for some reason, apprentices, but he is without a doubt a necromancer, and is represented with the trademark pink N.

If anyone has any idea whats going on here, please let me know. I'll update the thread if there are any further developments.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:26:31 pm by Prop42 »
@: You: "Can you tell me where I can find me?"
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: "Momuz Uzolikal, Dwarf Clerk necromancer - New Arrival"... What?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:53:14 pm »

I wouldn't let him near a library with writing materials hehe
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:57:00 pm »

As far as I understand, that can happen, but it's fairly uncommon. I'd probably arrange an accident for the bugger, since they start raising undead when they think they are in battle, and, as far as I understand, they don't have the needed control over the undead to keep them off the living dorfs, and I think that includes the necro himself.
If the bugger has got a codex with him, check if it's one of life and death. Putting such an item into a library is a good way to ensure some future excitement. Whether that is good or bad depends on what you're looking for.

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:06:32 pm »

He doesn't have any form of codex on him, but he has incredibly good writing ability, and is a great geography and great teacher, and he seems to be completely passive.

I think I might just take the risk and throw him in the library. I'm honestly curious about what could happen. Having the entire fort be necromancers doesn't seem like much of a downside, considering how totally remote the location is. Theoretically, I could get my Dorfs to raise a small legion of undead chickens, barricade the things off, then release them in the event of an invasion.

I'm gonna try that. Wish me luck.
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

Redman the Communist

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:LIGHT] [SPHERE:HEALING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 05:18:27 pm »

This sounds amazing, I wish you the greatest of luck with your !!SCIENCE!! Battle Brother!
A light cannot fade by darkness
it will shine even in the darkest corners of the world.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 05:19:03 pm »

He doesn't have any form of codex on him, but he has incredibly good writing ability, and is a great geography and great teacher, and he seems to be completely passive.

I think I might just take the risk and throw him in the library. I'm honestly curious about what could happen. Having the entire fort be necromancers doesn't seem like much of a downside, considering how totally remote the location is. Theoretically, I could get my Dorfs to raise a small legion of undead chickens, barricade the things off, then release them in the event of an invasion.

Please post results. I'm curious, as I have heard of total necro forts, yet have never heard of a necromancer writing a book on the secrets of life in death whilst in fortress mode.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 05:20:39 pm »

This sounds amazing, I wish you the greatest of luck with your !!SCIENCE!! Battle Brother!
It...
Is a gOOOD pain

Blooood for the blodoooooood
God

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHA...

cough cough.

Yeah. Let the galaxy burn.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 05:39:51 pm »

Pretty sure a total necro fort turns into something like Ragnarok with everyone's zombies fighting each other and the other necromancers and this can only end in so much Fun that we just have to wait and see how it goes.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 06:12:40 pm »

Your dwarves will only raise zombies if they're in a fight, so if you keep them from harm you'll just have a bunch of unsleeping, uneating, undrinking, regular dwarves.

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 06:18:12 pm »

Well, so far, our friendly neighborhood necromancer has done absolutely nothing except sit around the bar drinking and reciting poetry. He hasn't even entered the library yet.

On another note, some merchants arrived, went to the trade depot, only for their wagons and goods to spontaneously pop of existence, while the merchants themselves ran out of the fortress terrified of something. Presumably, Momuz was angered by the presence of the traders, and set upon their wagons with telekinetic force. And by that I mean I have absolutely no idea what happened. Apparently Winterfurnace's trade depots are self-contained black holes, because several of the traders just vanished as well.

...This is going to be one of those forts, isn't it?

UPDATE: The wagon itself is listed under "Missing" in the units list.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 06:22:00 pm by Prop42 »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 06:31:40 pm »

Yup, wagons are considered units. They kind of have to be, since there's currently no framework for mobile structures. Makes for some amusing antics in other forum threads and the modding scene.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 08:00:35 pm »

The caravan vanishing happened to me too. I assumed it was because my trade depot happened tp be surrounded by 80 goblin corpses, and once I eliminated them, I never experienced this problem again.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 08:06:32 pm »

Well, he didn't write about the SECRETS OF LIFE AND DEATH yet, but he wrote... something.

...Yeah, I'm having doubts that this is going to go anywhere.

On another note, the trade depot where the wagons spontaneously disappeared suddenly began spewing out miasma, which may have been a result of whatever caused the traders to flee in horror.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:10:37 pm by Prop42 »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 08:25:46 pm »

Trader wagons (not the horses, the wagons) are very timid. If one catches sight of the corpse of a sentient being, it will be scared to death and go "pop!", dumping it's load on the ground. The other wagons and all the traders will then turn and head for the hills at tops speed. The result is a pile of stuff on the ground that is all forbidden, but can be claimed with d-b-c. Free stuff for you, but the traders will consider your fort to have been a loss for the year, and are likely to bring less stuff next year.

You can avoid this my making sure there are no corpses of sentient creatures (goblins/elves/humans/dwarves/kangaroo men/plump helmet men/whatever) lying around to be seen. This requires a corpse stockpile. Not just a refuse stockpile that accepts corpses, but one designated with p-y, apparently. It needs to be somewhere that the traders will never see it. You can have it on the surface and surrounded by walls (with a way in, obviously), or underground where the traders never go. If underground, it will create miasma, so use a door or diagonal passageway to keep it under control. You will also need to turn on refuse collecting from outside, if the corpse(s) are out there. That's done with o-r-o. Be prepared for a bunch of your dwarves to suddenly rush outside to collect all the stuff that's accumulated, painting the area around your front door green with vomit in the process.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 09:04:23 pm »

That certainly is about life! Not entirely sure about the death bit though.
Pages: [1] 2 3