Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swordworld - Etherwind (OOC)  (Read 550 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Swordworld - Etherwind (OOC)
« on: January 20, 2024, 06:09:38 pm »

Rumors have long been spreading about a foul storm. First, the sky would turn crimson red like sunset. This would be followed by blood like rain, or a rain of blood depending on who tells the story. Before long a cloud would roll through like a charging dragon cutting off all visibility. Those caught in the wind are said to be horribly corrupted - soul scarred - in mere moments. This storm is been dubbed 'the Etherwind', though who was first to name it is lost to history.

Once thought to be a fanciful tale adventurers tell each other around campfires to pass the time at night, the Etherwind has proven itself real by rolling through several frontier towns mutating entire populations. One town - Abyss Gate - was wiped off the map as everyone inside converted into Revanents so deep was their corruption. Etherwind sightings have become more and more frequent, and with few people being able to fight off the weather itself, the world is left helpless in the face of this disaster.

Adventurers have begun investigating the phenomena in hopes of putting a stop to it - looking to either find a way to protect people from the storm or to find and eliminate the cause at the root. You are one such adventurer. Will you be able to save the world from its corrupting influence?

What is Sword World?

Sword World is a Japanese RPG, think of it like DND but Japanese. We will be using Sword World 2.5. This version of the game isn't released in English, so we'll be using a fan translation. The setting will be home brewed since like 75% of the fun of being a GM is worldbuilding.

The game uses 2d6+Modifiers. Snake eyes is considered a critical failure, double 6s is considered a critical success. Beat the TN and succeed.

Combat is very JRPG like. Initiative is done by faction, so all PCs and enemies take their turn at once. We are using the simplified rules where there are three areas on the battlefield - reargaurd, frontline, and enemy's rearguard. Actions are like 3.5 DND, you get one Major Action, one Movement Action, and an arbitrary number of Minor Actions per turn. Magic uses Mana. Damage is done by a chart, rolling 2d6 and picking the corresponding damage number from the chart.

That is a basic overview, which I gave in hopes that you won't get scared away by seeing that the game has 3 core rulebooks. Mostly what you need to play is that information, knowledge of the spells your class has at your level, and picking out what feat you want from a short list. It is simpler than it looks! You arn't expected to read the rules for things that arnt' directly related to your character. If you want to use something outside the core rulebooks that is fine, but I've only read the three core books myself.

Character Creation

Discord for assistance. Open up Core Rulebook 1 and follow the character creation steps. Core 2 and 3 have additional classes and races as follows:

Classes:
Core 1 : Fighter, Grappler, Fencer, Marksman, Sorcerer, Conjurer, Priest, Artificer, Scout, Ranger, Sage
Core 2: Fairy Tamer, Enhancer, Bard
Core 3: Rider, Alchemist (More like...card game protagonist)

Races:
Core 1: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Tabbit (rabbit people), Runefolk (Robot people), Nightmare (Born corrupted), Lykant (Animal People)
Core 2: Lildraken (Dragonborn), Grassrunner (Halfling [Hobbit]), Meria (Plant People)
Core 3: Tien (Less-robot artificial people), Leprechaun

And this is a bunny with a gun. For inspiration. See you in Sword World adventurer!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
Re: Swordworld - Etherwind (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 03:45:33 am »

PTW/Interested/Bumping dis

Cowboy rabbit that are 1 meter tall are the cutest thing to come across my mind

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 03:24:54 pm »

Interested, but where would I get the rulebooks?  My device can't do discord. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 06:01:54 pm »

Two character sheets have been completed. We can probably start over the weekend if we get one more.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 12:41:17 pm »

I will try to get mine in.  Could you send me one of theirs so I can use it as a template?
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 11:28:04 pm »

Am participating in this.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 12:43:29 am »

IC is up! You all meet in an Inn. Play nice.