Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: How many NPCs have you MERCILESSLY SLAUGHTERED, YOU MONSTER?  (Read 15989 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: How many NPCs have you MERCILESSLY SLAUGHTERED, YOU MONSTER?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 07:43:42 pm »

Playing Dynasty Warriors over and over and over probably equates to a million NPCs maybe in total? Halo and COD counts for another hundred-thousandish. Aurora4x takes trillions.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 07:58:16 pm »

Is this only counting what I did by my own hand or what resulted from my actions? For example, if I gen a DF world thousands die, as opposed to the hundreds that die in the course of one of my adventures.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 08:06:10 pm »

You can probably redirect blame to toady for those deaths~
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 08:15:05 pm »

Damn, then Toady is responsible for more deaths than anyone else in recorded history. He trumps Hitler. He's killed countless trillions...

And he still didn't kill all the hippies.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 08:45:12 pm »

And he still didn't kill all the hippies.
Which is why we must persevere. To end this righteous quest that the Great Toad One has started! KILL ALL THE TREEHUGGERS!!!!!!
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 08:53:44 pm »

Playing Dynasty Warriors over and over and over probably equates to a million NPCs maybe in total?

Depends. I've been playing DW8:XL coop with a friend for probably....the last 3 months off and on, going through the whole game in Free Mode. At 500 to 1000 kills depending on the mission, times let's say 15 missions per dynasty, x5 dynasties, that's only 75,000 kills at max per person for the entire story. It's seriously a lot of work to even kill 2000 guys in one mission.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 09:04:01 pm »

I retract my previous statement about killing 1000 NPCs a day taking forever. I didn't think about Dynasty Warriors, where plowing through 100 soldiers in half a minute is not uncommon.

Not to mention other games where large-scale warfare is involved.

... I guess this is why Undertale came to be.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 11:13:54 pm »

It's funny, I was actually contemplating today how the artificial lives we snuff out could very well be no different than our own. Seeing as we may be living within a computer program ourselves, we're essentially just snuffing out less advanced lifeforms of our creation.

Now while games like Aurora 4X have people as a simple spreadsheet number, we also look at numbers of people in real life the same way. Look at an AAR of a real battle and you'll see the dead, injured, and missing as a simple number on the screen. That's all they are to most of us.

I've recently begun to show mercy in games (except my recent CKII playthrough, don't look into the last couple pages of that topic) as a result of my recently evolving views on artificial intelligences, though I do have to actively think about it or else it's explosions and slaughter as usual.

Anyway, I'd say on a scale of zero to everyone, I've killed a few googles of folks.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 11:26:10 pm »

Here's another question. How many npc's in need have you heartlessly ignored? I mean your quest only asked you to bandage 10 bleeding people on that battlefield, once you were done with that 10th one all the others didn't matter, right?

Mmorpg characters are all sociopaths.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 11:28:27 pm »

Like two.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 11:30:01 pm »

Here's another question. How many npc's in need have you heartlessly ignored? I mean your quest only asked you to bandage 10 bleeding people on that battlefield, once you were done with that 10th one all the others didn't matter, right?

Actually, I do try and help others if I can by gamelogic.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 11:37:21 pm »

Hm... probably the one game of pandemic I killed off the world in would be the bulk of my NPC killing.  6 billion dead there, compared to maybe hundreds of millions everywhere else.  I tend to deliberately avoid mass murder.

Actually, I do try and help others if I can by gamelogic.

It's super annoying if you realize only after a while that they are being infinitely generated, amirite?

I remember a begger in fallout 3 I kept finding water from.  After like 10 bottles I started going through the quest log trying to figure out how many he needed.  The answer was there was no quest, he was there forever.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:39:28 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 11:52:59 pm »

Much like the rather controversial Penny Arcade about the dickwolves...

A few MMOs have tried to take steps so that people are encouraged to help out beyond the bare minimum, but... eh. It just raises the minimum to an invisible value such that you can collect full rewards, then move on again.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 12:39:38 am »

It's funny, I was actually contemplating today how the artificial lives we snuff out could very well be no different than our own. Seeing as we may be living within a computer program ourselves, we're essentially just snuffing out less advanced lifeforms of our creation.
It's more like shooting your television, or google translate. Try playing Master of Orion II and notice that the AI cannot adapt or learn at all - it can only do things that it has been programmed to do, and will never do anything intelligent or surprising once you understand it. You can hit it again and again with the same strategy that it fails to handle, and it will never adapt. And that's the AI for the emperor of a nation, to say nothing for the population on planets, which has no AI at all and is just used as numbers in calculations.

No game AI is Strong AI as far as I'm aware. If there was, then there'd be a moral concern, but there is no Strong AI in existence in the world. Some game AI seems to adapt, though (Sword of the Stars AIs appear to develop techs and ships to counter yours, but this can easily be coded in algorithms and doesn't require intelligence). Even programs that use neural nets today don't even have the intelligence of a real-life fly or mouse - things which you would likely not think twice about killing simply because they're nuisances to you.

Now while games like Aurora 4X have people as a simple spreadsheet number, we also look at numbers of people in real life the same way. Look at an AAR of a real battle and you'll see the dead, injured, and missing as a simple number on the screen. That's all they are to most of us.
Some numbers may be abstracted people, but that doesn't mean all numbers are abstracted people.

I've recently begun to show mercy in games (except my recent CKII playthrough, don't look into the last couple pages of that topic) as a result of my recently evolving views on artificial intelligences, though I do have to actively think about it or else it's explosions and slaughter as usual.

Anyway, I'd say on a scale of zero to everyone, I've killed a few googles of folks.
It's a fine thing to consider how moral your actions would be if the game you were playing was real, and part of roleplaying, but you're anthropomorphizing numbers, algorithms, and art designed to give an illusion of humanity, one which is easily seen to be illusory if you test it or think about it at all. (For example, in Half Life 2, shoot Judith Mossman in the elevator while she's speaking. She is unharmed, doesn't stop speaking, and doesn't even notice, because she wasn't programmed to react in any way to attacks and they can't harm her.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 02:16:24 am »

They're just frames of polygons laying on top of an invisible skeleton. Look inside, they're completely empty.
The guns they hold shoot not bullets, but raycasts. They aim them not with muscles, but with animations.
They have no family, no friends, no cause, no life until I arrive and give them one, only to take it away.

I don't play many strategy games, preferring to kill with my "own" hands. My kill count is low, but made up for in brutality.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9