Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: How many NPCs have you MERCILESSLY SLAUGHTERED, YOU MONSTER?  (Read 15995 times)

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Re: How many NPCs have you MERCILESSLY SLAUGHTERED, YOU MONSTER?
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2016, 03:13:19 pm »

Yes, hes quite the sadistic bastard. You just sit there and smile Gandhi. I know your type. I will cursh ALL OF YOUR TRADE CARAVANS INTO DUST!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

Ahem. Yeah, i go a bit psycho myself, but usually only when necessary. Usually. If any of you guys have played Age of Myth, lets just say i have an entire strategy based around breeding peasents then Ragnoraking. Yay!
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2016, 03:18:02 pm »

I know, but I'm saying, you spelled it wrong.
Gandhi isnt actually altogether agressive, im pretty sure hes got a very peaceful stat actually, but if you mistreat him i think the Devs have his pissed-off meter at like x10 compared to others.

ALL YOUR BASE BELONG TO US
Actually, Gandhi has the lowest possible value for aggressiveness in Civ 1. But one of the techs you can research decreases that by 1 more. So if Gandhi gets that tech, his aggressiveness 'breaks' and becomes the highest possible value, thus becoming a warmongering nuke-lover. So basically a bug became an in-joke that made Gandhi super aggressive in the rest of the Civilization franchise.

As for how many NPCs I killed - a lot. Planet busting is fun.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2016, 03:27:54 pm »

Thats what i was talking about, except in modern games, he take offense to things way easier and way, WAY more than others. Like, if you piss someone off by 2 points, Gandhi goes up by 20
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2016, 03:31:30 pm »

Speaking of Civ, recently me and a friend were playing Civ 5 and the Chinese decided to attack me so I just built a ton of nukes and kept bombing the landbridge that connected us. I would say a good couple million died there alone even not counting me nuking Beijing. Add in my Rome: Total War death tolls (almost a hundred thousand I would say) and I would say just in the recent I've killed quite a few.

That being said in most RPGs I don't kill NPCs. The only time I can remember was when I went and murdered all the guards as a werewolf in Skyrim. But they are all just faceless losers, so it doesn't really count. I guess Geneforge would count since I do remember killing all the Takers in Geneforge 1 & 2. And they are definitely not all faceless masses.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2016, 03:36:43 pm »

You Kidding? I once had like a full set of Ebony armor, i was going ham on Riverun (because, ya know, its there.) and a guard freaking stealth hit followed by a decapitation! I was pnly half health! Ive seem guards jump on dragons heads and drive their swords into their skulls before casually walking off and ordering a sweetroll. I ONCE LED AN ENTIRE WEREWOLF ARMY INTO RIVERUN AND NONE OF THEM MADE IT TO THE LIGHT OF DAY. FUCKING. GUARDS.

Edit: Actually, it wasnt riverun with the werewolf army. It was..... The place where the jarl gives you that crappy soul harvest axe.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 03:38:31 pm by LordPorkins »
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2016, 04:24:00 pm »

Cool thread.
If it's "personal" kills I think it's in the tens of thousands. By personal I mean with my direct input, be it via bullets, magic, punches. I don't know really. Games like Diablo or Dinasty Warriors are in this category. Also, mmorpgs. DAoC, Guild Wars 1 and 2, Aion. That's a lot of NPCs. Maybe hundreds of thousands?
On Battlefield 2 alone I remember getting the combat action medal (25k kills), but those were real players, not NPCs.

Than there's the second category. NPCs I've seen die on screen, but as a result of my orders (not direct kills). RTS games are here. I've never been a huge fan of this genre, but there's stuff like Rome Total War and Empire Total War. Over a million is not unrealistic, I think. I don't remember the exact numbers, but battles with thousands of casualties were common on Empire TW.

And finally the main offenders. The "invisible" deaths. Civilization 2 and 4, Hearts of Iron 2 and 3, Sins of a Solar Empire. Billions, easily. Many billions.
Or EVE online. I remember a few speculation threads about crew numbers on the various classes of ships and it really adds up if there's a few thousands people on each battleship. I never really went into pvp, but I farmed a lot of NPCs.

On a final note, I killed a single Hitler in my gaming life.
On Wolfenstein 3D, over 20 years ago.
Maybe I should find a more recent Hitler to kill.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:38:47 pm by Ai Shizuka »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2016, 04:49:16 pm »

I downed quite a few capital ships in Tie Fighter and other Star Wars games, I blew up Deathstars, those alone are millions of dead crewmen. Then the ones from Eve, so many pirate ships, and those have proper big crews, unlike capsuleers ships, though those still have a crew. More millions. Tens of housands (at least) of mooks across FPS, (A)RPGs, 3rd person shooters, roguelikes, and other stuff. But, as with most people here, all those are paled by those dead from strategie games.  Using Deathstars instead of blowing them up in Rebellion, sending billions of soldiers to fight to the death against the populations of other planets, billions as well (on each one) in GalCiv2. Burning cities full of people to the ground because they were not placed where I would have preferred them in Civ. I really liked the warcrime mechanic in Alpha Centauri as a bit of a safeguard against that. Entire planets killed off by adding poisonous gas to the atmosphere in Aurora 4x.
Most games I try to get as many of MY pixel people home as possible though. I don't send my dwarves to their death just because they are soap makers, I try to minimize losses in TW (less so with mercs), I mourn the dead crewmembers in Aurora.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2016, 08:07:44 pm »

trillions.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2016, 08:20:04 pm »

trillions.

Feeling guilt over rebel scum?

But anyway, I've been playing games since I was just a wee lad. Starting with consoles and only counting so-called sentient NPCs (not robots or animals or the like), I'd say the number may be somewhere in the range of the thousands to tens of thousands. Add that to my history with PC games, and there's honestly no telling. Like with many others, just with strategy games alone my own count would probably be in the trillions, if not beyond.

I think it's safe to say that Robert Oppenheimer ain't got shit on any of us.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2016, 08:23:38 pm »

It's interesting... But whenever I had friends over when I was younger was when that I became a truly terrible person in GTAV. No other time would I drive on the side walk in my Ice Cream Truck, or would I go to Central Park and lob Molotov cocktails at the demon worshiping yoga artists in the park.

I imagine my death toll might have gone up from that.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2016, 08:25:19 pm »

All of them.  All of them.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2016, 08:28:53 pm »

It's interesting... But whenever I had friends over when I was younger was when that I became a truly terrible person in GTAV. No other time would I drive on the side walk in my Ice Cream Truck, or would I go to Central Park and lob Molotov cocktails at the demon worshiping yoga artists in the park.

I imagine my death toll might have gone up from that.

Ha. That reminds me of Prototype. Picking up a car and then running down crowded NYC sidewalks with it serving a battering ram. When you're running 60 MPG...it's kind like driving your car on the sidewalk in GTA. Only....way more satisfying and way less prone to light poles.

Come to think of Prototype could be the poster child for the YOU MONSTER kind of game. You can't barely even sprint without power kicking off some old granny's face, or crushing some poor commuter's roof into his skull as you skip across traffic. That game is basically all about collateral damage and your inability to avoid it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2016, 06:19:50 am »

Edit: Actually, it wasnt riverun with the werewolf army. It was..... The place where the jarl gives you that crappy soul harvest axe.

Well Riverrun is from Game of Thrones/ASOIAF, so it can't have been that. :P

My Skyrim killing sprees have been very small, although I always swerve to hit one-kill animals (bunnies, goats, the lowest variety of wolf) if I'm on my horse between destinations.

Fus Ro Dah can kill a surprising number of things, if there's even a modest drop nearby. It's great to take down things that you really shouldn't be able to by luring them to a cliff they can be blasted off of.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2016, 10:53:38 am »

I once chased a bunny roughly about 2 miles. It was an evasive little bastard. I can see it now, it running, making the LOL face, with my argonian sprinting after it all like "CMERE YOU LITTLE SHIT!"
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9