Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Erm what? Shouldn't this be more !!FUN!!?  (Read 1719 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Erm what? Shouldn't this be more !!FUN!!?
« on: March 01, 2016, 05:29:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:35:28 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Erm what? Shouldn't this be more !!FUN!!?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 05:39:31 pm »

Not all spires are hollow. It encourages people to take a chance and dig a bit too deep.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 05:41:33 pm »

OOOH! That'll be a nice buttload of addy then  :D

Is it possible that only the top is solid, and it will be hollow further down, or will it be solid all the way?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:44:22 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 05:51:22 pm »

It could be hollow partway up. You'll just have to guess how far down is safe. Don't you want just one more level of candy? it's free. Go ahead and take it. You know you want it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 08:37:49 pm »

I've had spires that were sort of "pinched off" partway up; hollow below, then solid, then hollow again. Not sure if it's still a thing (way back in 40.xx and maybe even 40d), but breaking into the hollow portion above the pinch would sometimes spawn demons even without a hollow link to hell! That was, of course, years ago. 40d is but a distant memory, and my memory may be very foggy on all this. Either way, exercise caution when mining it. That bit in the screen shot could still have a 1x1 link straight down to the !!FUN!! stuff.
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 03:16:20 am »

Unless the wiki's wrong (as well as my experience being incomplete) all hollow parts are 2*2, so this should be safe. How high the hollow part reaches varies individually per spire. I haven't heard of a hollow section above a solid one before, and if it does (still) happen that should be a bug if it's dangerous (since there's no path from the source to the upper section).
The recommended way to check the danger is to carve a fortification in the spire (after making appropriate arrangements to block dwarven exposure to dust/fire/... from the fortification if it's unsafe). There are two big costs for that though, when the safety answer is "no": FPS tanking due to the additional unit pathing, and a significant risk large parts of the spawnees fail to path through to your "proper" breach later on.
I tend to mine everything that's safe first, build appropriate countermeasures, take a deep breath, and then breach close to the base of the spire. It is, of course, a great anticlimax if it turns out to be solid there as well, though, but it sure starts a flurry of mining (potentially resulting in SeymoreGlass' surprise).

Actually, come to think of it, I've encountered one case where there was a hollow section a bit up, but it's a rare exception. It was a reclamation fortress I was allowed to use a save from where the fortress had punctured the spire and the results were camping in the fortress, but the stuff below was blocked off and hidden (I don't remember if the spire was solid or if there was a floor blocking it, though).

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 01:05:56 pm »

I had a spire which has 15 levels of solid metal before the hollow part started (and most of them were in the cavern layer). and I was very surprised, thinking there will be no hollow at all. It was generated without advanced world parameters, so I suppose it may be quite normal depending on luck. My strand extractor got almost legendary.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 02:51:27 pm »

Couldn't you use dwarven farm plot sonar?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 04:51:35 pm »

It's obviously a 100% safe. Obviously. Mining just a little bit more couldn't hurt, right? Right?

NorkasAradel

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 05:03:26 pm »

Couldn't you use dwarven farm plot sonar?
Roadar™ is superior.
Quote from: Announcement Screen
Kasat Osmandonu, Ghostly Human Bard has risen and is haunting the fortress!
At least his moaning and chain rattling will be in key and hopefully entertaining.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 12:32:57 pm »

I prefer zone radar. To each their own, I guess.