Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Hnefatafl AI tournament - code your way to glory  (Read 10123 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: Hnefatafl AI tournament - code your way to glory
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 08:12:49 pm »

I'm interested in making an AI for this, but haven't ever looked into making an AI to begin with. Any tips on where to start?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2016, 10:51:50 pm »

I'm interested in making an AI for this, but haven't ever looked into making an AI to begin with. Any tips on where to start?

Here's the short version, for standard exhaustive-search-style AIs: implement the rules. Generate every possible sequence of moves a few moves ahead. Evaluate the leaf states of the game tree you just built. Take the best move.

If you're interested in some further step-by-step directions, or a more detailed treatment of the theory behind AI, I would recommend the textbook I used in college, Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach. Some university put the full text up as a PDF, but you can find used copies of the most recent edition for $20-$30, and used copies of the older editions for $1-$10, if you'd prefer a book.

If you're interested in reading about a chess AI from zero to finished, which provides a ton of practical tips for a tafl AI and lots of explanations of higher-level AI concepts, I'd recommend reading the Mediocre Chess blog, at mediocrechess.blogspot.com. The chessprogramming wiki may also be handy.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2016, 10:55:22 pm »

Alright, thanks! I'll try to write an AI in time for the tourney, although I can't guarantee anything.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 07:34:39 am »

A quick heads-up to anyone interested in entering: you now have four months, less one day, before the submission deadline.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2016, 11:46:30 am »

OpenTafl v0.4.4.0b is released, which vastly improves the AI and adds tafl puzzles. Two examples are included.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2016, 12:24:24 pm »

PTW
Taste my Paci-Fist

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2016, 02:33:21 pm »

Bugfixes and whatnot have brought about OpenTafl v0.4.4.5b, which now includes four puzzles. As far as I know, that's the largest collection of tafl puzzles available today, and I hope to continue to grow the collection as time goes on.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 09:11:32 pm »

Entries are due in 30 days! Tournament play will probably occur between Christmas and New Year's Day.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 09:24:29 am »

One week until entries are due! I'll be posting about tournament coverage here, when the time comes.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2016, 10:01:55 am »

Tournament coverage begins with an introduction to J.A.R.L, the first contender to be submitted. All tournament coverage will be at this page.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 12:01:57 pm »

It turns out nobody managed to get an entry in ahead of the deadline besides Jono, who wrote J.A.R.L. By his agreement, we've decided to play a one-match playoff, which is starting momentarily. Liveblog coverage at http://soapbox.manywords.press. You can spectate the game as it's being played by pointing your OpenTafl client to taflopen.manywords.press and connecting to the server there.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2017, 01:46:47 pm »

Hey, I'm not sure whether this is useful to you, but I found this site: OpenAI-Gym. Maybe there's a way to contribute a Hefnatafl environment to them in some way?
Taste my Paci-Fist

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2017, 11:55:43 pm »

Thanks for the heads up. I don't know if the integration will be straightforward, but it's certainly worth a look.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2017, 11:25:42 am »

Just discovered this thread, was really busy last year finishing my degree. Might have a look at coding something one day.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2017, 12:02:51 pm »

Just discovered this thread, was really busy last year finishing my degree. Might have a look at coding something one day.

Cool. I'm planning on running a 2017 tournament under the same rules. Announcement to come soon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4