Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to move an instrument left on the tavern floor out of the way?  (Read 850 times)

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi!

I've got an instrument lying in my tavern that nobody seems to care about any more. I guess that one of the visiting bards took it out of the box it was in, used it, and after that just dropped it where they stood. Now, I'd like to construct a table right at that spot, but the construction job gets suspended due to an "item blocking site", and I can't seem to get my dwarfs to haul this stupid thing away. I've tried dumping it, but no Dump Item job seems to be generated. Forbidding and unforbidding doesn't seem to do anything either.

The spot it's in is no longer part of the "dancefloor", as I already built chairs close to it. I'm considering removing all that chairs and tables again, just to get someone to pick use this thing and therefore pick it up, but I'd prefer not to have to deconstruct half my tavern just to get one instrument out of the way.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue, and if yes, is there a way to get the dwarfs (or visitors) to move the offending item?

Thanks in advance!
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: How to move an instrument left on the tavern floor out of the way?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:09:13 am »

Pour magma on it
Alternatively, see who is that item claimed by and pour magma on him/her
Or use DFHack. To spawn magma. Or make it unclaimed and then pour magma.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:14:08 am by Diamond »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:26:27 am »

Pretty sure there is a DFHack command to unclaim so dwarves can move items. The 'j' (jobs) menu might offer insight too.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:40:21 am »

This might finally be the time for me to download DFHack then... Up to now I've played this save without any third-party tools - not even therapist.
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 09:43:13 am »

If it works like clothing, you can try to forbid it and keep it forbidden for a month, see if the ownership tag is gone.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 10:06:43 am »

Funny thing though: There's no owner listed. When I check a random piece of clothing in a container, it clearly says "Owner: Urist UristUrist", but the instrument in question has no such information displayed. Anyhow, first I'll try to forbid it for a few weeks, and if that doesn't help, I'll go the cheaty way and install DFHack to see what can be done without spilling Armok's lifeblood in the dining hall.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 10:50:46 am »

If you have no other items marked for dumping you can use the DFHack autodump command to move it to the tile currently loo'k'ed at (if other things are marked for dumping they'll be teleported as well).
It's frequently the case that dorfs are able to move most of the clothing other dorfs have dumped on building sites, but not the last item, because that one is tasked for a "store own item" job.
There's also recently been a report about books not written or copied, and it seemed they were somehow locked up by lost jobs. Since instruments are part of the same rewrite as books, they may suffer from the same kind of bugs. In that case it looked like unforbidding did the trick, though.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 10:54:56 am »

It's a known bug.