Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So much friendly fire  (Read 1129 times)

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So much friendly fire
« on: March 02, 2016, 02:11:11 am »

My dwarfs are constantly charging eachother in combat and knocking each other down.  Probably about 50% of the charge messages indicate a friendly target.  I wonder if its because Im fighting in tight quarters, where theres usually 3+ per square.  Worth bug reporting?  The soldiers are pretty much legendary everything... so the only thing that can kill them is themselves.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So much friendly fire
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 02:26:45 am »

Dwarfs may be able to knock each other, but they can't actually harm each other without tantrums or loyalty cascades. Really, your pretty lucky, in my first fort(in 40.24), i conscripted vast numbers of idlers into the military, idlers who were often chronically depressed or angry due to my habit of ordering them to dump the rotting corpses of sieges, my inability to make more clothes and a few forgotten beasts who managed to get past my defences and killed a large chunk of fortress. In its last few years my fortress was in a near constant state of tantrums, which is not so bad when its civilians but when a high-level military dwarf tantrums, he can cave-in peoples skulls with his bare hands. Worse still, in 40.24(I'm not sure if its since been fixed), there was a bug where a thrown object would escalate conflicts to lethal, which since i kept all my(very unstable) military dwarfs in very close proximity, would often result in  some of my military dwarfs suddenly trying to murder each other, which would sometimes take months as they struggled in vain to land a blow though the opponents very high-quality armour.

Regarding bug-reporting, it doubt this is a bug, since if you are fighting in very close proximity, it makes sense you would trip a lot.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 02:34:48 am »

Yeah, but my elite squads never killed each other.
So don't worry.

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 02:38:53 am »

Its not that they kill eachother.  Its that the only time they get hit by invaders is when they get exhausted, stunned, or knocked down.  And they only get stunned or knocked down from friendly fire.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 02:51:54 am »

My legendary never suffered from the falling down problem in actual combat to the extent that it killed them. Are you getting them to fight in very close quarters?

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 03:03:37 am »

Theres a 5x30 channel into the ravine I call my fort.  The gobboes tend to choke up at some point of it.  The first soldier to rush in gets charged by all the other friendlies.  It isnt causing any mass causalities, but the incapacity it causes is the biggest risk to my forces.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 06:44:06 am »

If your legendarys aren't up the their goblin killing task, then cover that ravine in traps or alternatively, turn it back into a river. A very hot, very red river.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 08:09:37 am by Henry47 »

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 09:47:22 am »

Maybe you could try fitting the ravine with some "balconies" with fortifications for your marksdwarves to shoot through, then you could keep your melee dwarves further away to deal with anyone who made it through the crossbow fire.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 10:56:07 am »