Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trees and tree growth  (Read 1248 times)

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trees and tree growth
« on: March 01, 2016, 08:19:32 pm »

Is this still not fixed as of 42.05?

I chose a sparse embark, very few trees. Within a few months, saplings are EVERYWHERE - when they mature the area will be a full on forest despite being a desert.

How does everyone else cope?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trees and tree growth
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 08:50:58 pm »

Cut them down. Turn them into charcoals.

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 09:19:06 pm »

I had this problem back when DF2014 first came out, and I ended up quitting my fort because it was aggravating me so much. Every waking moment was spent chopping trees, or thinking about chopping trees.

Is there seriously no workaround to stop anything other than tree barren areas becoming rainforests?

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 09:47:34 pm »

I floored the entire surface of my Embark with green glass blocks.

Just starting:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Completed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 11:09:04 pm »

That... is beautiful.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 02:10:21 am »

But how will you make steel?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 02:52:45 am »

Good job. Now nobody will notice all the vomit.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 03:43:17 am »

Green glass is nice, but the proper dwarven way is to cover the surface in obsidian...

My current understanding is that the only thing blocking tree growth on soil (or mud underground) is physical abuse of saplings, stockpiles, and tree canopies.

- Paving, flooring, and trampling are variants of the physical abuse method.
- Saplings under tree canopies appear to die off. Since young trees have smaller canopies than older ones clear cutting can actually result in more trees over time. This is especially bad with cavern trees, where many species have no canopy at all while young. As far as I understand, there is no other mechanism in place to control tree density. Toady plans to take nutrients, soil quality, ... into consideration at some point in the future. While that is good news for the future, it's bad news for the time up until then, as he's rather unlikely to do anything about the issue until he's prepared to do it fully.
- Stockpiles have the odd effect of suspending growth underneath. When stockpiles are removed, it seems all the pent up maturing takes place in a few ticks, so lots of the vegetation shrivel, while some saplings immediately mature into trees (but probably young trees, as I'd expect the tree growth counter to start at that maturation). I've got a suspicion that stockpiles do little or nothing to combat the FPS drain of vegetation, though.
- It can also be noted that sometimes cutting down cavern trees results in exposed rock where the trunk was, thus gradually depleting the area's ability to support trees as they are logged.

My main method of battling the tree FPS attacks is to embark in areas where only one embark tile has trees, the rest being badlands or ocean. In theory mountain would work, but I want perfectly flat embarks. Glaciers would work as well, but I avoid freezing biomes since there's no way to keep the dorfs away from getting killed by water/ice transitions, since traffic designations usually fail at that task.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 04:39:22 am »

Green glass is nice, but the proper dwarven way is to cover the surface in obsidian...
Charcoal is better. Imagine what elves would think going trough charcoal-paved forest to your trading depot. Obsidian is meh.

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 05:34:53 am »

Charcoal is better. Imagine what elves would think going trough charcoal-paved forest to your trading depot. Obsidian is meh.

Imagine what elves would think going through an active obsidian farm on the way to your trade depot
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 07:18:37 am »

Paving over seems like the only option.

Ive looked at using DFhacks tiletypes as a quick solution, but it has some funny interactions. Replacing a tile that has a plant on it with rock causes it to revert to soil when the plant is picked.