Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soap and cleaning and pets and stuff  (Read 1267 times)

ShinyandKittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok can’t really be much different from Arceus..
    • View Profile
Soap and cleaning and pets and stuff
« on: January 25, 2018, 08:05:54 pm »

I think there should be more options regarding cleaning.

For example, a designation to force-clean has been suggested before, but I think it should just be a toggled way to automatically clean walls.

I personally think there should be a workshop to clean animals, so you can clean your cat instead of it becoming a killer monster bent on eating your perfectly good marksdwarves.

Last, I think there should be a "bath zone", and dwarves should have unhappy thoughts for being dirty (and a new value for "cleanliness", which determines if they care) and being near filthy dwarves.
No amount of mods is too much

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Soap and cleaning and pets and stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 04:40:48 am »

Also: Underwater mud. If I build my dwarves a nice, fully equipped bathhouse with a marble swimming pool, and magma piped underneath the hot tub, it's quite annoying to not be able to get rid of that "dusting of mud". So I for one vote that either dwarves should have the ability to clean mud from underwater tiles, or constructed (or alternatively, smoothed) floors / ramps should not "grow" mud when water is added to their tiles.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 05:06:41 am »

Mud appears when you have 1/7 water evaporating. However, where is no water, there could be designation to dust mud away by Dwarves.
Currently to deconstruct floor takes a very long time in comparison to construct floor and what is understandable deconstruction process takes longer then construction.
Currently construction/deconstruction is the only way to clean mud, blood and so on from places Dwarves won't bother to or can't be ordered to clean.
This makes cleaning inside constructed on surface buildings more hazardous as well. Dwarves sometimes manage to stand on floor, which they are deconstructing. Doh! :)

Dwarves do clean walls under ground. Sometimes.

What is not happening on surface is magic of rain. Landing rain drops do not splash in 9 tiles area, like the cleaning work performed by Dwarves. Currently rain looks more like dry blue sun-rays burning surface clean, then wetting and watering it. Also announcement "it rains!" creates instantly a vast sea of blood pools on surface, which rarely gets cleaned entirely, before it stops "ray-raining".

Also, what is disturbing blood pools tend to "hang in air". Usually 1 tile above ramp or there where tree top was, before it got chopped down. Sometimes animals do get killed by hunters while hiding in the treetops. The burning of rain-rays does not burn away those air hovering blood pools.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:17:30 am by Sarmatian123 »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:34:18 am »

Mud appears when you have 1/7 water evaporating.
That's not the mud that's bothering SixOfSpades. He is talking about the dusting of mud that appears in all water tiles that are not more than 1 z level deep.
Which is why, when constructing a well, you need to make the reservoir 2 z-levels deep, or patients in hospital will get infections from the muddy water.
Don't think you can make a mudless bathhouse though.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 06:56:44 am »

Build steep but narrow cistern. Ensure walls and floors inside are constructions and not smoothed rock. Then use pump to get water in. Pumps clean water. Though there could be still some dusting of mud if cistern is large enough. 1/7 water sometimes tends to evaporate instantly.

JezaGaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 04:42:48 pm »

I would add the ability to designate a room as a bath, this could be done from the zone i if you want to use a cistern/river etc or from a room designate from a well. It would require chests with buckets, cloth and soap.
Private or shy dwarves would have bad thoughts if there are no private stalls in the zone/room for them to bath away from prying eyes (so walls and a door).

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 08:54:39 am »

How about carved single-dwarf bathtubs that are filled by the dwarf himself/herself with a single bucket of water and then emptied out after use.
Or alternatively there could be a bath attendant that fills and empties the tubs as needed(like the tavern keeper is supposed to work).