Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 62

Author Topic: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord  (Read 104942 times)

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 02:14:41 pm »

Cavalry charge looks impressive. The thing that lacks to me is that melee combat looks somewhat floaty without good impact feedback from the thing I saw on the beginning of the video
Make love not war

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 02:27:29 pm »

Was hoping for a refurbished combat system, maybe something in the direction that Exanima is heading.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 02:48:57 pm »

Was hoping for a refurbished combat system, maybe something in the direction that Exanima is heading.

That would break the game sadly. Multiplayer would be essentially impossible.

Cavalry charge looks impressive. The thing that lacks to me is that melee combat looks somewhat floaty without good impact feedback from the thing I saw on the beginning of the video

But then, there was never good impact feedback unless you got knocked down. Just a stun.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 04:26:06 pm »

PTW
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2016, 04:53:01 pm »

Getting hit had okay feedback, especially if you got hit with a polearm (the infamous polestun). However, hitting people has always felt... lacking. When you make contact with your target your weapon simply passes through them as if they weren't even there. The only reason I can tell I'm hitting people is because of the puff of blood, and sometimes the thud or slash sound. In one of the videos for Bannerlord the player slashed at an enemy next to a rock, and after he had hit the enemy his weapon got stopped by the rock, making the swing look more convincing.

As for melee combat, I would've liked to have seen more than 4 attack directions, just for some variety. You know, something like...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 04:57:20 pm »

TBH the more I look at BL, the more it just looks like straight M&B 2.0. Which is ok. I just got the impression that it would be...more differenter. But the UI, animations, cities really are just a cleaned up version of M&B. Right down to the "That one guy who is always standing in that one spot in every inn."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 05:10:57 pm »

I've played games that used to have the blade stop on a hit, then they went and removed it just to make it pass through with a shitty blood spatter effect. I don't understand why developers do this but they're all out of thier minds.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 05:36:49 pm »

Yeah, that's ok.

Just makes you wonder what took them so long :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 07:33:13 pm »

Kinda amusing how for all the early indications they were about to do some sweeping changes, in the end it's essentially old M&B, except prettier and with some neat features and a lot of integrated popular mod features.

I'm not complaining, mind you - that means it's still keeping the good parts and improving on them, and is not a whole different animal.
The "Sweeping changes" seem to be occurring more in the simulation side of things then the battle side of things. I.E. the one place that was severely lacking in the first games.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 07:38:06 pm »

Dunno about you guys but that looks awesome.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 07:54:27 pm »

I feel like the thread needs a cheeky subtitle to reflect all this prudent observation on our parts :P

Part of the feels for me was due to the shit quality of the shoulder-cam video. The stuff they showed off in earlier devblogs looked really nice. The linked video was a blurry mess that was discernibly Mount and Blade but little else. I'm not saying a full resolution would make those very Mount & Blade style menus, or the "now everyone charge the last guy in battle and then stand there cheering" battle flow look any newer.....but it might make us appreciate the polish a little more.

In the end I was kind of the most disappointed by the world map. To be fair its got more identifiable geological morphology than M&B's gentle sloping hill and that looked interesting. The cities and the city details look nice and already had me fantasizing about drawing defensive and strategic lines. But somehow the dude riding the horse still looked exactly like M&B to me and somehow I expected something shinier, though I couldn't say how to achieve it.

I wonder if they've learned how to screen fade instead of letting each game screen awkwardly cut to the next too :P
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 08:45:22 pm »

I do enjoy Mount and Blade, though I think like nenjin I have difficulty knowing what exactly could be improved.

In MB: Warband, Something about the environments looks... boring? They don't really look normal with the steep hill lumps and deep rivers carved into the land. I think part of it is Mount and Blade doesn't have it's own visual style, everything looks generic medieval. None of the lords of Warband stand out as being different, no one you could point out as being "That warmonger who causes problems" or "that pious one who spends all his time protecting his villages".

If there was one thing I'd want them to improve it would be battle controls. The way in Warband that units charge in a clump at each other, yelling the whole time, and how using formations isn't useful because of this. Using the function keys to position units around the map. I don't understand the games angle, are you supposed to be leading soldiers or a group of rabble?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 09:02:18 pm »

The problem with M&B's battle maps were that they were for the most part randomly generated, and it tends to general unnatural looking steep hills and valleys, almost like mini-mountains peaks in the middle of a 'plain'.

I saw some footage of Rome: Total War (the first game) and it seems like that game handles battle maps by literally using the overworld and simply cordoning off a square section of it once the battle starts. It made sense and was actually pretty neat. If you engaged someone with a river and a mountain, you knew that there would be a river and mountain in those spots before the battle even began. If they managed to do something similar I'd be okay with that, but somehow I doubt it.

As for formations, the 'pushing' they mentioned might make formations viable, bnut I don't know if it'll be limited to rectangles or how in-depth it could get.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 09:29:48 pm »

Yeah, it always kind of bothered me on an unconscious level, how terrain in MB wasn't predictable even though you might be fighting guys in the same patch of land for ever. Sure it's sandy in the sandy areas, foresty in the forests and snowy in the snowy areas. But the battle maps always felt random.

Using the function keys to position units around the map. I don't understand the games angle, are you supposed to be leading soldiers or a group of rabble?

I can't tell if it looks better or just different in BL. At first I was like 'oh cool, positioning lines with the mouse." But as the battle wore on and I saw the commands list on the left I felt like I'll probably just be mashing more function keys during a hectic battle with the same more or less sloppy results in positioning. If anything, just being able to tell your whole army "stand here" will just make more blobbing inevitable since the game facilitates it easier but anything more controlled still appears pretty fiddly.

It's the kind of thing that would work with MP. One player managing the army, the other leading the charge when it's ready.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 09:31:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure you could use the mouse to position people too, at least that's the way I always did it. I think you have to hold the function key down.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 62