Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62

Author Topic: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord  (Read 105244 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
« Reply #510 on: April 08, 2020, 02:44:05 pm »

Quote from: Patch note
Fixed a bug that caused prisoners to smile. :)

:(
Love, scriver~

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 08, 2020, 02:49:03 pm »

Also I got my smithing to 175 on pretty much refining alone... but it's also day 800+ sooo...
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 08, 2020, 06:10:46 pm »

What have people's returns on caravans looked like? At the cost of a companion, some troops, 15k up front and ~500 profit a day that you have to wait 7 days for.....that seems like a pretty shit return. Although passive income is nice, once you have multiples going.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 08, 2020, 06:45:00 pm »

The r/bannerlord reddit has been saying caravans get very profitable after a while, but that could change at any time with the balance getting adjusted.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 08, 2020, 07:23:54 pm »

There are a lot of factors, but I've seen my own caravans peak at 4000 denars a day in profit. It's inconsistent, but it's very passive and they don't even get captured in war that often.

On the flip side I've found companion-led parties to be a huge strain on my cashflow, but hey that's the cost of aristocracy lol.

Also, Caravans are less... peace dependent than workshops? Workshops in cities held by an enemy get confiscated (at least I don't get MINE back, grumble grumble), but caravans operate around the clock 365 days a year.

I'm currently pretty heavily tied to Vlandia atm, (trying to curb the Imperial menace) but it would be interesting to achieve 100% mercenary businesslord meta.

Also I get cavalry wherever I can... there's a good string of 3 horse-producing villages in Northeast Battania, and also the Imperial Heartland. Otherwise... steppe and desert horses kind of ring the East and South sides of the map.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 09, 2020, 07:00:59 am »

I was playing as a woman and married, but after waiting in the same town as my spouse, I noticed my character started to slow down, swinging weapons and running just slightly slower than before.

...Am I gregnant?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 09, 2020, 07:14:13 am »

Only if you're carrying a greg

Do assigned companions (quests or caravans or anything else there might be) still count against the party companion limit?

Also, another question: Do no nobles give quests any more? I've stopped checking because I haven't found anyone who do. But sometimes when you're at war with someone you can ask them "I hear you have a problem I can solve maybe?" and then they'll say "no duh you can't help me we're at war bruh". So which is it?
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 09, 2020, 07:28:33 am »

So, for lair assaults only a random number of your party gets included (which is the same as in Warband and Native, so no blaming Bannerlord for this one).
Which leads to me a strategy: Fire all the useless Peasants that you get for free from looters before launching the assault.

Which also leads me to another strategy: You never actually have to recruit anyone (although it might be better if you do).  Your solo character can usually take on 6-8 looters.  Eventually, one of those looter parties will have like 10 peasants captive, which you can recruit after you defeat them for free, which are slightly better than most factions tier one recruits.  Then you can take on looter parties comparable in size to your self.  It tends to snowball unfortunately so that you eventually have a full party of mostly peasants, although they will slowly upgrade to Watchmen, then Mercenaries.  It gets boring just fighting looters, as you'll usually get trashed if you try to take on anything else with your mostly peasant army.  Probably useful as a merc or vassal though, even though I have zero experience with that.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 09, 2020, 07:41:50 am »

Do your character die from old age eventually ? I remember they were about to put that in the game but i haven't played it enough for now.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 09, 2020, 07:43:18 am »

I read the dev blog from about a year ago, its apparently a feature, but dunno if it works.  Apparently, the player won't just keel over, but rather there will be some signs first.  Tried to research the issue, but it seems nobody really knows, which upsets me that nobody can actually figure out something that seems so fundamentally easy to figure out.  The real problem is that the game apparently ends if the main quest isn't completed, and there may be a issue that the main quest hasn't been fully implemented yet, so its impossible to complete and thus game over from that before old age could kick in.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 09, 2020, 08:49:14 am »

There's a perk that decreases your chance of dying from terminal illness, so I think player death is probably something that's planned. However, I've heard that the players kids don't actually age, so I don't think dynastic inheritance stuff is implemented for the main player yet. Apparently NPC kids do grow up and inherit n stuff.

So, been playing this a fair bit and having a lot of fun. Game obviously still needs a lot of work, but I think the core game is pretty solid (though I haven't gotten to MP yet and I hear that's pretty fucked). So right now I'm pretty hopeful for the future.

I've been having a really easy time with the economy, you just seem to get so much gold from battle loot.  Early game gold was a bit tight but once I got rolling and beating bandits regularly I didn't have many problems. Now that I'm in the mid game I'm just drowning in cash as every time I beat a moderate size lord's party I get like 15K in equipment and prisoners. I also haven't had to buy food in like 100 days cuz I just loot everything I need.

I think Horses need some kind of upkeep to them. I've been fighting the Khuzaits so I've looted a bajillion horsies from them, and it's a bit silly that now I have 7K carrying capacity for free. I think it should consume some cheap buyable trade good or something to keep horses in your inventory.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 09, 2020, 10:23:54 am »

Do assigned companions (quests or caravans or anything else there might be) still count against the party companion limit?

I imagine they must, otherwise you could spin up a trading empire at Renown Rank 1 by just recruiting, funding and sending off endless amounts of companions. Although I guess the # of parties you can have out is also limited by renown.

Also, another question: Do no nobles give quests any more? I've stopped checking because I haven't found anyone who do. But sometimes when you're at war with someone you can ask them "I hear you have a problem I can solve maybe?" and then they'll say "no duh you can't help me we're at war bruh". So which is it?

They do. I found one random lord that was like "Hey, I have this troublesome mercenary company. Can I give them to you to pawn off on another lord?" Pretty sad when mercs can bully a lord to the point they don't feel they can just fire them. Anyways, it's the only lord quest I've found but I almost never stop off at castles. Just like how there isn't any variety in companions, I think a lot of the quests aren't hooked up yet.

You never actually have to recruit anyone (although it might be better if you do).

The advantage to not hiring anyone right away and trashing looters, whether that's with a bow or in melee, is a) you get a ton of combat skill ups because you're doing all the work and b) you have zero upkeep so everything is profit. I think I did the first 30 or so days of my game solo, hunting for companions and trading before I finally bought any troops. It is kinda boring, and fights take quite a long time to do safely. (Depending on how good you are, I suppose.) That said, companions don't really interfere with solo play. Recruit em, give em a horse, give em a ranged weapon and order them to follow you during combat, and they'll both stay with you and use their ranged weapon as opportunities come up. It's basically like having a second hitpoint bar since they will always be trailing behind you taking ranged hits. If they go down, no big whoop, they'll just have shitty hitpoints for a while, as long as you didn't turn on Death. The strat can work with very small groups of actual bandits, but by and large it's only viable for looter groups or enemies without a lot of strong ranged attacks and shields. Still, I think I saved up like 5k easy during the early game doing that.

I think Horses need some kind of upkeep to them.

I both agree and disagree. It does feel weird to have a herd of like 60 horses that require nothing. On the other hand, large herds of horses are so fundamental to gameplay now I don't really want another upkeep lever against it. It's fine once you're swimming in cash and everything is trivial, but upkeep costs for herds would make early game trading harder as you need herds to be a viable trader in the first place.

I'm at that point where I always get to in Mount & Blade where I need to make a real decision. I've flogged the smelting/bandit hunting/trading/troop gathering part of the game to death at this point. Yeah I could grind for more cash to completely outfit my guys in end game gear but that doesn't sound satisfying. (I'm sitting on like 45k right now.) I probably should start some caravans but I like having all my companions, even thought most of them are boring as shit. (There are seriously no Social or Intelligence-type companions in the game anywhere, just the incredibly rare guy that actually has Tactics as a skill.) So it's time to either merc it up or become a vassal. (I suppose I could also find the last couple lords I need to finish the first part of the main quest too...) Problem is, Battania is a mess and they're the ones I want to support. If I sign up as a merc, the Vlandian army is going to squash me probably. If I sign up as a vassal I'll probably get thrown in to a fight with a superior force. Ah well, guess you have to take your licks at some point.....

Also: leadership. What a pain in the ass. It's designed for the vassal-level of gameplay where you actively setup and direct armies. That's where most of the skill ups come from.

The skill ups from "Maintaining High Morale" however really suck if you're not doing vassal gameplay. Basically, it seems that when you're over 68 morale or so there's a "chance" you might get a leadership skill up, and it amounts to literally 1 point of XP against leadership skill. In order to push morale well above 70, you have to be killing groups of size 30+ multiple times a day to get 2.5 or so morale added to the party. And since morale is literally just a ledger of morale increases that fall off after a day, you effectively have to kill multiple 30+ groups of enemies daily to keep pushing your morale up. Which is hard unless you're merc'in or a vassal and stuck in the middle of constant fighting. When you're NOT, you're reduced to hunting large bandit and looter groups, which the game does seem to increase the frequency and size of as your army grows....but when you're trying to level up leadership, it's simply not enough.

The next time I start a new game I'm going to invest in leadership for that very first perk, since that's mostly what I want out of the skill. But I'm one like day 200 at this point, and I've gone from 5 leadership to a whopping _9_ despite trying my best to maintain high morale. The best I can manage is to peak at around 72 for a day before all the morale gained from fights drops off.

It'd be nice if you could actually level up leadership to some useful level w/o having to go the merc/vassal route first.

Also I've seen myself getting Tactics skill ups in the middle of battles. Seems like issuing orders in the middle of a battle grants tactics XP, it's not just whether you "Send Troops" to fight for you.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 11:49:09 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 09, 2020, 11:26:29 am »

RE Tactics: You seem to gain XP every time an order is issued, whether you do it or "your sergeants" (press f6) do. Since the troop AI changes orders fairly often, your tactics skill may go up faster if you use f6 every time you would normally order a charge? Not to mention that the troop AI actually does a good job of managing archers and infantry together and stuff like that.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 09, 2020, 11:30:27 am »

The invisible sergeants are the real heroes of Bannerlord.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 09, 2020, 01:43:07 pm »

A couple interesting things from the latest bugfix:
Lords and minor faction party leaders will now visit settlements to trade if they are carrying a lot of loot (especially after successful battles and raids).
<- It actually hadn't occurred to me that they accumulated loot, although it should have from all the grain and other basic villager goods that I've gotten off looters.  Also the fact that when I make a custom sword, I find the same sword in towns far away from where I made it.  Try it sometime: Create one custom weapon, call it Penis or something, and see how many different towns you spot it in.  Social experiment.

Ending mercenary contract with a kingdom through dialogue will no longer result in a relationship loss.
<- So we can go the traditional route again of merc'ing it up before we become vassals.

Bandits will now surrender more easily if their opponent is vastly stronger than them.
<- Yes, I always thought it strange when I hunt down to looters, then I say "Prepare to die!" and they say "You won't take us alive!"  I'm always like "That was the basic idea, idiots".  After all, each surviving looter is 5 gold, and each bit of gear ranges from 1 to several hundred for a Blacksmith hammer that has been broken down into its basic components.  So I don't want alive, I want them dead for all that extra loot.  At least I think that is how loot mechanics work.

Nenjin, regarding your leadership issues (no offense), skills level up based upon the perks assigned and underlying stat, which is why those zero stat recruits only get their skills up to 1, as it plateaus at that point.  So no investment in either the stat or the skill means its not going very far.  Conversely, its entirely possible to over-invest.  I still don't understand the basic mechanics myself, but maybe you can "fix" your character by adding a perk on your next level up or even boosting charisma at the three level point.  Isn't there something about having a maxed out party that also gives leadership?  I just saw that on a tool tip, doesn't mean its accurate, although my maxed out peasant army did seem to have a max party size that went up every week or so.  Also: Peasants are free (no upkeep except food), you only have to pay them when the level up.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62