Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62

Author Topic: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord  (Read 103883 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
« Reply #765 on: April 18, 2021, 03:59:52 pm »

So it's been bugging me a bit...

Is there any reason to use a horseman's/cavalry/knights shield rather than an infantry one?  (Even while mounted...)

My search could not find any information about this.  The advantage of the infantry shields - like the basic kite shield - appears to be more coverage.  They also tend to be a bit cheaper (not that that matters much in the long run) and have a bit more durability.  The downside of the infantry shields is usually more weight but that does not seem like a consideration while mounted - although paradoxically it lends a reason to use a mounted shield while on foot.  Am I missing something?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 18, 2021, 04:43:19 pm »

Some shields can't be used while mounted.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 18, 2021, 06:18:08 pm »

Sure but most can.  And many have the same hit points, and the same speed, as the cavalry/mounted/knights/horsemans versions and yet they are bigger. 

As an example compare the battered kite shield to the battered horseman's kite shield.  They are both tier 1 with 82 speed.  The non-horseman version has in extra 5 hitpoints (175 vs. 170).  It is also somewhat cheaper (98 vs. 114 in the town I'm looking at right now, ymmv) and has substantially greater coverage.  The only downside is that it weighs somewhat more 4.2 vs. 3.6 - but that only matters if you are on foot.  So there is NO reason to use the horseman's kite shield on horseback!  On foot you'll be a bit slower so there is some argument for using the horseman's version if you are not on a horse.  ???  (Not that it matters but sometimes they are exactly the same weight, removing even this marginal 'advantage' for use on foot.)

By the way I'm not cherry-picking this was just the one I had at hand.  There a quite a few shields which follow the same pattern.  Why would I trade greater protection/more durability/cheaper for something labeled horseman/cavalry/knight/mounted - when mounted? 

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 19, 2021, 08:58:46 am »

Just pointing out this was a problem back in Warband, at least, if not also in Native.  It's not Bannerlord's fault.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 19, 2021, 01:09:59 pm »

It's a good point. Weight should make an effect when you are mounted, sort of weird to have a fully armoured turtle still go full speed on a tiny pony.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 19, 2021, 04:29:56 pm »

Just pointing out this was a problem back in Warband, at least, if not also in Native.  It's not Bannerlord's fault.

My memory is that in Warband (at least) mounted shields were both faster and had greater durability than the infantry shields, in general.  I don't see any problem, in either version, of not letting some shields be used on horseback.

It's a good point. Weight should make an effect when you are mounted, sort of weird to have a fully armoured turtle still go full speed on a tiny pony.

Yeah, it is a bit strange, horseracing fans are appalled. 
I also think it should be somewhat more awkward to use a heavy shield on horseback - in terms of game mechanic meaning less speed? - at least beyond a certain weight/size threshold.

I was mainly checking to see if I was missing something. Like if there was a hidden rarely known modifier, or if shields don't have hitboxs which follow their visual size (for example).  And of course to vent a little...  ;)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 19, 2021, 05:39:41 pm »

With all the constant rebalancing of armor and weapons per faction that is going on....I wouldn't be surprised if it's also related to that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: June 17, 2021, 11:35:44 pm »

There are new beta patch notes, here is one of interest to discussions in this thread a page or two back:

Crafting
Added a new feature named Crafting Orders which can be accessed via the "Enter Smithy" game menu option in towns. It allows players to craft weapons for nobles and notables with open orders. Consequently, weapon crafting has been split into two modes: Crafting Orders and Free Build.
Fulfilling crafting orders will grant you with crafting experience and research points needed to unlock new parts, in addition to a gold reward and relationship gain with the noble/notable based on the value of the crafted item.
After taking an order, you'll need to create a weapon design that satisfies the stated requirements. Exceeding expectations or underdelivering comes with its own bonuses and penalties, such as an increase or reduction of the gold reward.
Relationship gains from Crafting Orders need to be unlocked with perks.
The crafting experience and research points needed to unlock new parts gains received from the "Free Build" have been greatly reduced.
We will continue to evaluate the values of items produced via the crafting process.

Spoiler: Full notes (click to show/hide)

As to the shields, I would guess it could be a placeholder for stats for now. For example there is a really cheap shield that appears to have great statistics, the Light Cavalry Shield or something. I mostly just give companions other shields for flavor for now, otherwise I give them that one since it looks better on paper without knowing how shield stats are used in relation to skills and perks and whatnot.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 11:40:02 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 18, 2021, 12:55:03 am »

So have they got around to fixing some of the perks that were outright non-functional, EG the one that lets you use full-size bows on horseback?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 18, 2021, 12:53:45 pm »

So have they got around to fixing some of the perks that were outright non-functional, EG the one that lets you use full-size bows on horseback?

That particular one is fixed. Some other perks are still non-functional, but the description tells you if it isnt working now as well.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 18, 2021, 01:18:33 pm »

Keep meaning to reinstall this but I need another SSD because games are so frickin' huge now.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 18, 2021, 06:36:32 pm »

Keep meaning to reinstall this but I need another SSD because games are so frickin' huge now.

Yeah, this latest update has me thinking the same thing.  I'd like to reinstall it, but I just don't know where I'll find the space.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 20, 2021, 01:21:27 pm »

Yeah, and unfortunately, in its current state Bannerlord has painfully long loading times on HDDs, even in vanilla. When you add mods to the equation, it gets even worse, especially given the frequency of loading screens in Bannerlord. It's very strange that the recommended specs don't include an SSD, because I wouldn't really consider it worth playing on an HDD, especially a slower, older one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 21, 2021, 02:50:44 pm »

I was actually playing BL on an HDD before I rebuilt my PC on an SSD main drive. Having been doing all my gaming on HDD up until about 6 months ago, I wouldn't call BL's loading times beyond the pale on a spinning platter drive.

What really got me was that subsequent loads without restarting the game would get slower and slower as time went on, until as it was loading the game the background music would become pixelated and crackly sounding. Pretty awful.

I haven't even tried it on my SSD but I imagine that will be better...along with a bunch of other stuff.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 04, 2021, 07:53:24 am »

I tried the 1.6e beta and the crafting economy is a bit better. It's more difficult to reach higher smithing since you are limited to the orders, and the high skill orders are not selectable. I think that's a positive though since smithing was easy to powerlevel with. There are still massive value orders for high skill smiths, paying over 100k frequently for a two handed weapon (because two handed maces are limited to the two hammer heads, if you unlock the better one the orders for it are sometimes 11k)

It takes some fiddling with sliders to match an order as close as you can though, and until you unlock parts most orders are impossible to do for the full denari. I think a "closest match" button would be helpful, that plugs in pieces that could satisfy the order with some slider movement or tells you the pieces are close but you don't know how to make the order correctly. Maybe have a perk that will change it to "exact match" where the part size sliders are all in the green for that order.

It would also be great if there was a button to have your other characters autorefine materials (assuming charcoal and metal/ore in inventory) up to what is necessary for a given crafting recipe. Such as needing fine steel, click button and have other characters refine the crude iron up the various tiers to the amount required.

BUG: When doing an order you also have to go back to free build to change the character for refining. You can't swap to a character with skill too low until you leave the order by going to free build, and this includes the refine tab.

I made a character with high social this time. I had no luck with marriage until I had a critical success proposing to a generated noble from a rebel faction. I noted with horror the generated noble had terrible statistics.

I tried my first sieges (I was trying out being a mercenary; turns out it earns a lot of denars; haven't had a fief yet) and the siege weapons are sweet. I also very much enjoyed throwing big stones off the wall as a defender; I saved a castle that way by tossing stones at the swarm of infantry by the ladder.

However the ladders are sort of broken; the attacking army stops climbing one and switches to the other. Rarely are both ladders being climbed at once. I notice the ladders sometimes are pushed off the wall after the attackers switch to the other. Maybe it's a placeholder for toppling a ladder with climbers on it? The infantry also just swarm at the bottom of the ladders. If they could spread out a bit they would take less casualties from siege weapons and also the player wouldn't have an easy time mashing them with thrown boulders from the wall, as you can't miss and the boulder does splash damage (if it doesn't kill the player from hitting a crenellation and doing splash damage)

Spoiler: large images (click to show/hide)

I liked the ram though, that works well unless it takes a hit from a catapult. Sometimes infantry can't path close enough to a door at the gate to start whacking it though I can't remember what siege map it was on.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The siege tower seems more effective than ladders but less than the ram. It's not the grinder for the attacker the ladders are, but it's not a massive rush like breaking down the gates is either.

I was a merc for the Battanians and mostly joined armies. I noticed they spend a lot of time going back and forth to the same city when they are reinforcing, I think maybe the recruits refreshed in the city they just left and they loop back to get them.

Army battles are sweet though. I had one where I commanded the archers and I put them on the right flank as the infantry fought. The Battanian infantry broke first but the 60 remaining archers won it in a final charge as the opposing infantry straggled at them (Battania noble tree are archers) to win the battle between two 900+ armies.

Spoiler: Random army screenshot (click to show/hide)

I made the mistake of building up my companions in the usual bandit hunting early on. I have one remaining out of my original trained companions: Dermot the Ragged. I have no idea why he's been lucky. I didn't even give him good armor, just some raggedy looking Battanian armor. It turns out realistic companion death results in frequent companion death when outside of simulated battle while army battles are most fun outside of simulation, so now I just put some cheap gear on them and put rusty metal armor I loot on them as I find it, since my first companions had the shiniest of armors, still died, and I lost the expensive armors. On a fun note, one of my companions died of old age while he was leading one of my parties. I don't even know what happened to his troops and gear.

It's a really fun game, I recommend it.

Spoiler: Spooky bug (click to show/hide)
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62