Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 62

Author Topic: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord  (Read 105302 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
« Reply #780 on: July 04, 2021, 11:42:12 am »

A quick tip: dead battle companions can be stripped by going to their inventory in the immediate post-battle scene.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 05, 2021, 01:49:03 pm »

Bruh that axe is fuckin cursed!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: September 02, 2021, 11:58:16 pm »

PTW
I tried the 1.6e beta and the crafting economy is a bit better. It's more difficult to reach higher smithing since you are limited to the orders, and the high skill orders are not selectable. I think that's a positive though since smithing was easy to powerlevel with. There are still massive value orders for high skill smiths, paying over 100k frequently for a two handed weapon (because two handed maces are limited to the two hammer heads, if you unlock the better one the orders for it are sometimes 11k)
Yeah I built my coming-back-after almost-a-year character largely around smithing (and stealthhorse-archery) and I was very pleasantly surprised when I figured out how to make lucrative, then suddenly bank-busting items.

Obviously I picked all the perks that allow refining materials, along with the perk that halves the stamina loss for refining.  Steelsmithing costs the ability to learn 2X parts via smithing, which is the main way I learn parks, but steel is super uncommon.  I'm learning a lot more (and earning a lot more) by knowing the dwarven riddle of steel.

That is, from what I've seen, learning is based on total difficulty and not materials.  I often use baser components with the same difficulty as steel ones.  But I still can't imagine being dependent on scavenged steel, particularly if I ever want to work with Fine Steel and Damascus Thamaskene steel.  Access to materials really hampers the learning and the profit.

In-game time is money, though.  I've got a foreign-culture town as my fief (the Imperial Lageta, as Battanian) and the freakin Vandians kept trying to take it.  Not to mention what happens when we inevitably break truce with the Western Empire over our tribute (82%), and they try to take back their imperial lands.

But I've been trying to prepare for that.  not like you can rely on the AI brigades, though they're worth working with.  No, I've been packing my town with the most expensive units I can train up, then running off to train off more.  I'm hemorrhaging like a thousand dinars a day but that's nothing, I have 151 smithing and plenty of available materials.  25-29k from a zweihander is pretty great, even if it takes a day or two (guesstimating) to refine the materials from dirt-cheap ore.  Again, hooray for the half-price refining perk.

It takes some fiddling with sliders to match an order as close as you can though, and until you unlock parts most orders are impossible to do for the full denari. I think a "closest match" button would be helpful, that plugs in pieces that could satisfy the order with some slider movement or tells you the pieces are close but you don't know how to make the order correctly. Maybe have a perk that will change it to "exact match" where the part size sliders are all in the green for that order.
It took me a while to figure out that I was supposed to do anything more than click the order, than forge.  I wasn't sure why I kept getting dinged on orders at my skill.  I saw the message that I hadn't unlocked certain parts, and took it to mean that the parts were preselected.  151 skill and I literally can't make any throwing axe...  Presumably if I made more axes I'd unlock a head for throwing axes too.
It would also be great if there was a button to have your other characters autorefine materials (assuming charcoal and metal/ore in inventory) up to what is necessary for a given crafting recipe. Such as needing fine steel, click button and have other characters refine the crude iron up the various tiers to the amount required.

BUG: When doing an order you also have to go back to free build to change the character for refining. You can't swap to a character with skill too low until you leave the order by going to free build, and this includes the refine tab.

So I read this before I started typing, but it blow my mind.  All this time I assumed that smithing was just a leader skill (which doesn't make sense of course, but gameplay!) I had no idea I could use my companions.
Honestly, that changes a lot.  Taking the perk for learning-by-smelting sounds a lot better when my companions can make all my raw materials.  But here I am, I suppose, until I have to switch to my heir in several thousand real life hours of gameplay.

I'm not bitter, I prefer using my companions for other things anyway.  This is just bonus stamina I can use for (basic) refining, making my existing strategy even better.

I made a character with high social this time. I had no luck with marriage until I had a critical success proposing to a generated noble from a rebel faction. I noted with horror the generated noble had terrible statistics.
Mm, I haven't gotten married yet.  Despite having a full town as fief, my character has plenty of time to build up more renown.  I haven't even married my brother off just yet.  Still, from what I hear, the player's clan will will adopt spouses and their fiefs?  Seems like a good reason to wait for a good deal, even though grown children are supposedly able to lead caravans (or parties I guess heh).
I tried my first sieges (I was trying out being a mercenary; turns out it earns a lot of denars; haven't had a fief yet) and the siege weapons are sweet. I also very much enjoyed throwing big stones off the wall as a defender; I saved a castle that way by tossing stones at the swarm of infantry by the ladder.
Is being a mercenary particularly lucrative?  Influence gets burned into cash (I think this was true when I played a year ago) and it never seemed all that profitable compared to simple commodity-trading.  Much less smithing, of course.
However the ladders are sort of broken; the attacking army stops climbing one and switches to the other. Rarely are both ladders being climbed at once. I notice the ladders sometimes are pushed off the wall after the attackers switch to the other. Maybe it's a placeholder for toppling a ladder with climbers on it? The infantry also just swarm at the bottom of the ladders. If they could spread out a bit they would take less casualties from siege weapons and also the player wouldn't have an easy time mashing them with thrown boulders from the wall, as you can't miss and the boulder does splash damage (if it doesn't kill the player from hitting a crenellation and doing splash damage)

Spoiler: large images (click to show/hide)

I liked the ram though, that works well unless it takes a hit from a catapult. Sometimes infantry can't path close enough to a door at the gate to start whacking it though I can't remember what siege map it was on.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The siege tower seems more effective than ladders but less than the ram. It's not the grinder for the attacker the ladders are, but it's not a massive rush like breaking down the gates is either.

I was a merc for the Battanians and mostly joined armies. I noticed they spend a lot of time going back and forth to the same city when they are reinforcing, I think maybe the recruits refreshed in the city they just left and they loop back to get them.

Army battles are sweet though. I had one where I commanded the archers and I put them on the right flank as the infantry fought. The Battanian infantry broke first but the 60 remaining archers won it in a final charge as the opposing infantry straggled at them (Battania noble tree are archers) to win the battle between two 900+ armies.

Spoiler: Random army screenshot (click to show/hide)

I made the mistake of building up my companions in the usual bandit hunting early on. I have one remaining out of my original trained companions: Dermot the Ragged. I have no idea why he's been lucky. I didn't even give him good armor, just some raggedy looking Battanian armor. It turns out realistic companion death results in frequent companion death when outside of simulated battle while army battles are most fun outside of simulation, so now I just put some cheap gear on them and put rusty metal armor I loot on them as I find it, since my first companions had the shiniest of armors, still died, and I lost the expensive armors. On a fun note, one of my companions died of old age while he was leading one of my parties. I don't even know what happened to his troops and gear.

It's a really fun game, I recommend it.

Spoiler: Spooky bug (click to show/hide)
Oh hey, you went Battanian too!  Nice, forest people unite o7

... Okay, I just went back to the Warband map to try to map the Battanians to the centuries-later map of Calradia, and uh:
https://mountandblade.fandom.com/wiki/File:WarbandWorldMap.png
I'm sure I've missed a ton of discourse about this, but like
what the fug?

Edit:  Also, when I say "learning" in regards to smithing being a function of difficulty, I actually mean both skill gain *and* the chance of learning new parts.  I smelted countless basic swords (skyrim-style) before I started pushing my limits and was suddenly gaining levels 1 by 2, along with learning tons more components.

And very rough testing suggests to me that it's the Difficulty, not the material value.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 12:15:05 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: September 03, 2021, 11:33:41 am »

I made some space on my SSD and reinstalled. Running off the SSD, most of my issues with the game have been resolved. Post battle load times are down, frequent reloads didn’t start to take longer and longer.

Currently on Day 30 or so. Just building up an income base atm, getting enough cash together for shops and caravans. Currently making most of my money trading goods internally in Battania. Car Banseth and Dunglanys are practically right next to each other, but the price in Fur between them is substantial.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: September 08, 2021, 10:44:39 pm »

Man, you really don't have any business owning a city with <200 troops in your army. I managed to lobby for Lageta as the Battanians with a pathetic amount of influence and somehow won it. In the span of about a week, Vlandia declared war and and the AI immediately made a beeline for Lageta with a 500+ strong army. I was Lord of Lageta for about a week. At best I could muster 150 troops, none of the Battanian armies were in the vicinity, and I got sniped through a turret window by crossbows about 40 seconds into the actual siege.

I reloaded and just had to watch as they took it over. I'm sitting on boatloads of cash but don't have enough coming in yet to sustain a big enough army to make any real moves, so I guess the quest for more money continues.

Enjoying my playthrough though. Just ran into a Vlandian army my size that was half cav, half crossbows pretty much. I'm just fielding infantry and archers. The lord said "You're badly outmatched. There's no shame in surrendering now." I replied "I think it is you who should surrender." Went into the battle, posted up at the crest of a hill and laughed as their cav struggled to make it up, getting sniped off their horses or cut down by my infantry. My boys mopped up the rest of the crossbows afterwards. Not too shabby for realistic difficulty settings. He should have surrendered, indeed.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 09, 2021, 07:16:58 am »

If that battle had occurred on flat land, it would have gone much differently.  Stupid AI, his crossbows probably could have out-ranged and out-damaged your archers, they should have just stopped at max range and chipped you to death.

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays
« Reply #786 on: September 09, 2021, 03:02:52 pm »

A quick tip: dead battle companions can be stripped by going to their inventory in the immediate post-battle scene.

Do they still appear naked in their Encyclopedia page if you remove their armor on their death?
Lol they appeared naked in your friends page if you had good a relationship with them lol

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 09, 2021, 03:47:16 pm »

Do they still appear naked in their Encyclopedia page if you remove their armor on their death?
Lol they appeared naked in your friends page if you had good a relationship with them lol
Just means you can choose to bury em in nice clothes.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 09, 2021, 04:19:01 pm »

If that battle had occurred on flat land, it would have gone much differently.  Stupid AI, his crossbows probably could have out-ranged and out-damaged your archers, they should have just stopped at max range and chipped you to death.

The cavalry didn't wait for the crossbowmen, and so by the time the crossbows were in range, the cavalry were all dead and I was able to swarm the crossbows and remaining infantry with my own infantry. The arrogance of cavalry, ha!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 09, 2021, 04:25:17 pm »

I always got the impression that bows outrange crossbows, but I haven't checked closely with troops.  It's also just a different consideration since bows have considerably more arc (which can be really fun for shooting over an infantry shield wall into the mass of easy headshots - I guess the Empire forgot the top half of their Turtle formation, no wonder they're collapsing :P)

I'm obviously biased towards bows, but I basically haven't tried crossbows or crossbow troops in Bannerlord yet so what I know is only from fighting against them.  I bet I'd appreciate a crossbow's armor-piercing value if I wasn't on easy settings.  As is, even longbows feel too slow (I was considering the riding perk that somehow lets you use them on horses, heh.  Epic skill levels go by rule of cool).

Man, you really don't have any business owning a city with <200 troops in your army. I managed to lobby for Lageta as the Battanians with a pathetic amount of influence and somehow won it. In the span of about a week, Vlandia declared war and and the AI immediately made a beeline for Lageta with a 500+ strong army. I was Lord of Lageta for about a week. At best I could muster 150 troops, none of the Battanian armies were in the vicinity, and I got sniped through a turret window by crossbows about 40 seconds into the actual siege.
This happened to me too almost verbatim!  I loaded an earlier save didn't bid, but still got it, but this time I *rushed* troops into the garrison ASAP.  Largely low-tier but still, I managed to get almost 300 total (including my party size of 100) by the time the Vlandians arrived.  Probably not enough for their ~600 strong army, but maybe it changed the strategic considerations because this time we got relieved by a friendly army!  Possibly the besiegers wanted more of a siege-weapon advantage, causing them to lose their opportunity.

In the seasons since then I've kept the garrison practically full with high-tier archers and infantry.  500 units costs out the nose, and the town is constantly "starving" despite having lots of diverse food, but money is barely a concern with my smithing skill.  I assumed they would have rebalanced the starvation thing by now, but it'll work itself out eventually as prosperity falls (and my villages grow more productive).  I did manage to get the town reasonably loyal!  I accidentally chose an Imperial companion to be the governor, which I think helped a lot.  The town doesn't like that *I'm* still a foreigner, but it's something, and I've been rush-building nice things for them constantly :)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 09, 2021, 06:52:53 pm »

I'm trying to strategize how to oust a Battanian clan from one of the inter-Battania holdings. Probably won't change much; any AI that's at war is going to look for the weakest settlement that's owned by a player and go stampeding toward it, but depending on how I do it, maybe it will remain strong enough to dissuade the AI from going for it. And at least they'll have to travel through the interior of Battania and that should get the AI's attention, rather than some settlement in another kingdom's territory where almost no friendly armies are going to be near. (Kinda reminds me of my first fiefs in Mount&Blade 1. Burnt to cinders, awarded to me, immediately attacked by other nations with zero support from my own faction.)

Anyways, there's one clan with only one member that has one fief, a castle I think. I know I can vote to have them expelled but then I'll also need the influence to make sure it falls into my hands. I don't think there's any way to make war against them from within the same faction, but I haven't really screwed with kingdom-level political stuff much yet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 09, 2021, 11:19:42 pm »

Yeah I'm used to the Vaegir in M&B 1 giving me Shitditch.  An icy hovel at the corner of void and starvation, but at least it wasn't on the front lines.
Things were always tougher as a female because you basically had to take a contested fief in order to be awarded it, then you had to just hope that the enemies didn't beeline taking it back.  (Though a terminator-level PC in full plate and a hammer-style weapon could kill a LOT of besiegers on easy settings, along with her troops getting those unfair multipliers).

Speaking of... Here in Bannerlord I have the easy option "Friendly Troops Received Damage" being 50%.  But there's no way that's applying to all friendly troops.  It has to just be my personal retinue, or my personal wing when I'm in an army.  Close fights remain extremely close, even as I personally score a few score (heh) kills with my bow and scavenged arrows.  I was typically commanding the 1-2 horse-archery wing of these Battanian armies in order to do my thing with a couple AI friends, but ideally I'd probably be "commanding" the infantry core.  I'm seeing good results by choosing the heavy cavalry wing (since the infantry core is always taken by the army leader).

That reminds me, if you're trying to hold onto a freshly conquered initial fief and your so-called countrymen aren't helping - again, been there - I *assume* that that's one of the main purposes of accumulating influence.  I notice there are often a lot of unattached companies (especially mercs) in the army formation dialog.  It costs a lot of a precious commodity, influence, but it seems like it could be worth it.  You can even apparently request that a friendly army disband such that you can then enlist their companies...  I haven't tried that, and the in-game help suggests that some influence-actions may be refused despite "moral obligation".  So far I've gotten by without even making an army, but it's something I keep in mind.  (I'd rather spend the influence on gaining adjacent fiefs when the time comes).

Sure beats Warband's Marshal system.  I like the armies, even when the AI is silly with them.

Anyway, sharing my character:
I was browsing the Reddit and apparently scars make men a lot more attractive for courtship!  Dunno how it is for women, and you probably can't even see it but it's a pretty large one on her face.  I didn't know at the time, just seemed to fit the Battanian smith-daughter/huntress.
I should probably be finding a mate.  It's said to be profitable, my brother isn't doing it, and I'm not getting any younger.
And heck some of the people I was supposed to ask about this trinket are dead, I should probably get on that too.

(But also I *think* that marrying as female will be matrilineal- I mean that, regardless of gender, the PC will gain by marriage?  Possibly that even includes when one marries off a clan member?  I don't know.)

I'm also curious about my skill layout though, since that's basically a readout of how I play!  My trade should be WAY higher but it feels like it's based on profit instead of, like, volume or value.  Which is tricky.  I'm ferrying tons of food to my town, and I'm taking advantage of deals when I see them, but honestly I'm more about promoting Battania.

It's so creepy that Battania and its forests are just gone in M&B.  I don't like that (But I kinda like it as a spooky, sad thing).
Edit: (Also I misspelled Shapeshte as Shitditch, my bad lol)

Edit2: I was already going two-handed, initially as a lark but then I remembered how good hammers were.  But in this sequel I used them for the sheer reach, particularly with custom weapons, able to sweep down while riding past.  I never was once for lances or lance-like mounted spearing.  I'm not *good* at landing hits from horseback (you have to look at the dirt below your opponent to actually connect!  Wtf?) but when it works it feels really nice.  And then once I'm sore and bleeding, I can go back to the good old horse-archery.
Oh right but then when I signed on with the Battanians, my king (who wasn't the initial king!  The first two kings DIED, and my current king is not of their clan!) granted me this... this I-don't-even-know.  It should be a polearm, except it's fine steel down to the hilt.  It's called the reaper, which *rolls eyes* but it fucking owns!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:39:16 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: September 10, 2021, 01:00:29 am »

Kings grant you weapons?
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: September 10, 2021, 08:06:40 am »

Yeah, one that was honestly better than anything I've crafted!  I'm making stuff at-parity fore sure, but I've held on to it as a status symbol and for its name if nothing else.  But also it's a very good two-handed blade (and called "Reaper" aaaaaaah)
She/they

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: September 10, 2021, 12:08:38 pm »

Why'd and how did he grant you one?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 62