Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62

Author Topic: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord  (Read 103869 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
« Reply #885 on: October 05, 2021, 11:49:07 am »

If it's anything like Warband, you'll declare independence and every faction in the game will hear the dinner bell ringing and come to take a bite. I tried that all of once in Warband and was like "fuck this, I don't have two years to work on this campaign."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 05, 2021, 12:08:19 pm »

@Scriver: No, I haven't tried independence in Bannerlord yet. Very curious to see how it works out for you, though, as I am in a similar situation (my holdings are all in and around Southern Vlandia).

It's a very Battannia-friendly environment, what with the vast forests of the Galen-Jaculan-Sargot stretch.

Also very nice since the Rhodoks were my favourite faction in the first game/s and that is Rhodok country (my first conquest was even Veluca castle and village, which has to be what becomes Veluca in the future. God does it bother me that they named Sargot Sargot though)
Love, scriver~

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 11, 2021, 05:40:36 pm »

Damn, Caladog really wanted to marry my sister. He gave me literally all of his money (60K or so) for her hand in marriage.

I'll miss having her running around being a merchant, but I think she just paid for herself.

In other news, I'm finally trying a go at Jaculon. Last war we fought I spent the entire time fending off armies from Sargot. This time we crushed their first army quickly and have pivoted to go on the attack with a 900 strong army I'm leading.

We'll see how this goes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 11, 2021, 06:16:14 pm »

This has been my problem. Every time I'm ready to go after Jaculan there's other things going on or I'm defending my own fief from 1.2 million Vlandian lords with parties of <100. Too small to catch with a fully formed siege army, too big to ignore.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 08:46:31 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 11, 2021, 06:27:55 pm »

Yeah, really wish I could I coordinate with the other armies. At the very least give them suggestions like "Hey, I think Ochs hall would be a good target" or something. Forcing the Vlandians to split their attention would be a huge boon.

If this assault doesn't pan out I may try to take Ochs hall myself next. See if we can give them a target to try and take back that isn't in the south so I'm not spending all my time on the defensive.

At least taking Charas for myself was a good call. It hasn't been assaulted once in the past few wars since I've kept their attention on Sargot. Which means someone else's town is the one that's been sacked and retaken a few times while my holdings are allowed to prosper in peace.

Oh, does anyone here know how governors actually work compared to the player's Stewardship? I'm assuming all my holdings that are left without a governor just use my bonuses, but I can't seem to find any good confirmation on it. Just lots of conjecture.

Given that I have a stewardship of over 150 now, I'm assuming that I am better off not having governors.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 11, 2021, 08:48:46 pm »

I thought they didn't get any Steward bonuses. You don't passively earn Stewardship just because you own fiefs, so.....

I took Charas and intentionally didn't try to claim it for myself, on the hopes that it'd make my bid for Jaculan easier and I wouldn't have constantly watch the SW approach to it.

But of course, the Battanians that won it couldn't hold it for more than a season or two. Should just said screw it and taken that army to Jaculan instead.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 12, 2021, 12:12:18 am »

I wonder if Stewardship has an effect while you're waiting in a town you rule (the incomplete wiki says that this is one way to boost the skill) but I'm pretty sure the perks marked (Governor) only apply for followers you've specifically assigned - you don't passively grant them to your governor-less fiefs.  I could be wrong though.

And it sorta sucks if some of the perks you can take as a player do nothing at all, or only work while you're camping a fief.  Particularly when the other perk choices are so important as an army leader.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 12, 2021, 10:59:00 am »

The only real function of Steward for the Army Leader is if they're serving as Quartermaster in the party. That's the best way to get the skill up.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 12, 2021, 11:55:15 am »

Yeah, I've quartermaster of my group and that's raised my stewardship really high.

Hmm, didn't realize that the governor perks don't work for the player. That kinda sucks, then. I'll have to play with it, see if I can figure out how to make the best use of my fiefs.

I really wish there was better documentation in the game on how stuff like this works.

In better news, I've got Jaculan now! It was a rough fight, but most of the enemies were militia so we didn't lose nearly as many of our own as I'd feared. In a big stroke of luck, one of the AI armies took the castle just north of it right after I grabbed the town, so I even have a buffer fief to help protect me.

Now I'm back dealing with the Western empire since they are pushing in on our borders to the east. I took one of the southern castles and beat back several armies in that area, but they've taken some territory to the north of me that I may need to go help take back.
Come play Mafia with us!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 29, 2022, 03:50:55 am »

Well well well.... Seems like this game is finally out of early access. So.... Is it a buggy mess? As good or better than the first warband? Because I could go for another game as fun as M&B Warband 1.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 29, 2022, 09:26:20 am »

I haven't noticed any outstanding bugs yet, but then I tend to replay the early game a lot because things are a bit simpler at that level. No need to worry about the various lords riding around with retinues double my own, no need to build influence for some vague reasons, no need to sign my life over to a faction only for that faction to immediately get curbstomped and my painstakingly-raised army to vanish into the earth. Just me and my little clan, fighting bandits and doing odd jobs while gradually building my forces and skills.

That said I have participated in a few large-scale battles in one file, from a field battle between armies with more than 1400 troops total to a number of siege assaults. I do think the AI in those assaults needs some work, because if I can get around behind a group of defenders (at the exit point of a siege tower for example) I've noticed that the defenders will essentially ignore me. I can swing into their backs and they might turn to bring their shields up after a whack or two, make a couple of retaliatory swings, but if I back off a few steps they go back to facing the attacking army and leave me with clean targets once more. The attacking AI can also get temporarily stuck at times, bunching up in an area despite no obvious resistance until they hit some critical mass/receive orders and run off to do something.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 29, 2022, 10:13:08 am »

Haven't checked it out since release, but a few months ago I did a reasonably long run. Ended up lord of a big city and did lots of large army work. Didn't notice any major bugs at the the time, though the AI also wasn't that great then either.

Still, I'd say it's at least as fun as Warband and has some neat new stuff that I really enjoy. The family dynamics add a really good touch and the various siege weapons make sieges much more interesting to be involved in.
Come play Mafia with us!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 29, 2022, 12:11:40 pm »

Me and my big mouth  ::)

The game crashed hard enough to CTD in a perfectly innocuous battle against a dozen looters. Fortunately it was able to log the crash and I uploaded it, with any luck it's something that can be fixed.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 29, 2022, 02:19:10 pm »

Well well well.... Seems like this game is finally out of early access. So.... Is it a buggy mess? As good or better than the first warband? Because I could go for another game as fun as M&B Warband 1.

The game has largely been crash free for me for months. (I bought at the start of Early Access.)

Most of the bugs were harder to notice, like things just not working properly as opposed to outright being completely fucked. I kept up with patch notes over Early Access and many of them I never experienced.

I'd say performance has also gotten markedly better for me. The game no longer leaks memory like crazy. It loads faster. Battles tend to perform better, and I've done a few 1000+ v 1000+ battles. Frames may still drop a little when literally in a large battle is within your field of view but overall performance is much better now.

As for how fun is it....It's M&B++. More in-depth character building and fun choices to make as you level, dynasty mechanics, aging mechanics, faction and kingdom mechanics. Weapon crafting, city-based gameplay (apparently fighting thieves and taking over their turf went live as well, haven't tried it.) Better and grander sieges with siege weapons and better ways to control things. Deployment screens for battles so you can set up your army before it fights. UI for controlling your army during a battle as opposed to purely keyboard commands. And of course better graphics, animations, music, sound effects. They even add some voice acting right before release. Everything is just better for the most part versus Warband.

What hasn't changed is that the game still has, and will probably always have, that feeling of being a generic simulator. That never really disappears no matter how many features they add. To me that's just M&B's defining vibe so I'm ok with it. If someone was expecting the game to break into AAA and for that vibe to disappear or be hidden behind all the polish....they will be disappointed.

All in all it's a total upgrade to M&B and Warband in my mind. Not everyone is going to agree with me, and some stuff like the economy will probably never be perfect. But I've got 300 hours in it since EA with more to come. So it's a recommend from me.

Maybe this means I can finally stop deleting my save game. I've no joke restarted this Battanian campaign at least 8 times as new stuff dropped throughout EA. (Or Battania just shit the bed and lost half its territory before my first kid was born.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 02:29:32 pm by nenjin »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 29, 2022, 02:27:27 pm »

For me I guess the big question is does Bannerlord have a Lord of the Rings mod yet. Because probably half my playtime in Warband is that.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62