Chieftain Gute is good enough!
- 0 (0%)
The Sacred Weed!
- 0 (0%)
From which his family originates!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's Play Crusader Kings II: City of Paradox  (Read 5284 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Let's Play Crusader Kings II: City of Paradox
« on: March 08, 2016, 02:43:55 pm »

Paradox Interactive recently announced they will be launching an IP and going public.  To celebrate, I'm planning to launch a Let's Play of Crusader Kings II set in the areas that would latter become their country of origin.

Lets just hope this LP can run longer than my previous ones, he he he.  I'm planning to use the names from their company roster for character names, while playing ironman and thus unable to change the family name.  The goal is to pick a coastal tribe in Sweden (Stockholm specifically, if I can find it) and go Merchant Republic.  I'll have to boot up Crusader Kings II later today and pinpoint where specifically to start.

EDIT: May have bit off more than I can chew, so if anybody else things this is a great idea that they'd like to do, I surrender!  Assuming nobody else can be suckered inspired, first update should be tonight.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Crusader Kings II: City of Paradox
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 05:44:19 pm »

The land that would later become Stockholm, headquarters of Paradox Interactive, is in the hands of Sigurd Hring af Munsö.

That is kinda sad, because he generally does quite well and forms the Kingdom of Sweden without player assistance.  I was sort of hoping to take a less talented ruler.  The alternative is to take somebody else, but again Sigurd Hring af Munsö is a tough force to beat.

Well, I guess it's time for a poll!  Let Democracy Decide!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 06:38:17 pm »

Contenders for our Influence to Greatness:

Jarl Sigurd Hring Af Munso:
Personally possesses 3 county-level tribes, 3 vassals control 4 (one has two)
Quick
Wife will inherit weak claims to 2 county-level tribal holdings
World Conquest can be the only goal, as he's too awesome otherwise.

Chieftain Gute:
One island county-level tribe.  Is he "Gute" enough?

Jarl Ulfing:
3 provinces
Vassal is son with 2
A strong start if we don't want to take over the House af Munsö.

Ragnarr Refr:
Single County-level tribe, good primarily because he bears the name of the Sacred Weed.

Tryggve Stafr:
Dual Counties, the similarity to the word "staffer" is too much a coincidence.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:25:46 pm »

I vote Sigurd Hring, mostly for his part in the Saga of Harald Wartooth http://badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=434873628949 warning: link NSFW due to naval-grade profanity and crude humor, but awesome.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 08:29:24 pm »

Printing Tertiary Workbooks
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 12:51:03 am »

I vote Sigurd Hring, mostly for his part in the Saga of Harald Wartooth http://badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=434873628949 warning: link NSFW due to naval-grade profanity and crude humor, but awesome.

That is, ironically, my reason for arguing against Sigurd Hring: He's too badass to need my assistance to rule all of Scandinavia.  Playing as anybody else, we could just snipe Uppland from him and let him go on to be the greatest viking ever without our assistance.

Also why I put in the disclaimer "If we select Sigurd Hring, we're aiming for a World Conquest.  Such an awesome dynasty deserves no less."  Eh, I'd probably even follow the historic path: First King of Sweden, then Denmark, then England.  Probably mix it up with an empire in there.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 01:28:17 am »

I voted Ragnarr. Just 'cause the alliteration, bro.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 10:19:04 am »

Also, this is Charledate? Because I do not recognize any names except Sigurd.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 05:19:53 pm »

Also, this is Charledate? Because I do not recognize any names except Sigurd.

Of course.  City of Paradox must be founded as early as The Founders Hath Programmed

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 11:07:55 am »

Looks like the Paradox Staffers will be consumed by Refr Madness!*

Unless the poll changes, I shall proceed along those lines.

*Reason Refr won over Gute is because I voted for Gute, and my vote should really only be a tiebreaker.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 11:18:07 am »

We're facing off against Sigurd Hring with 1 county. Yaaay.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 08:34:49 pm »

Let's Play Refr Legends!

Uh, apparently I took these pictures with the lens cap off (my image capture program only took pictures of blackness, I’ll have to use the in-game image capture from now on, so you only get an end pic, sorry!)

So, our goal is to found a Merchant Republic, in the province of Uppland which in approximately 1200 AD would become the home province of Stockholm, headquarters of Paradox Interactive.  That requires several things to occur.

First, we need to control Uppland.  Made harder because of Sigurd Hring holding it.

So I start by seeing if anybody is worth marrying.  Nope.  So I instead grab a concubine.  Funny thing, your court will occasionally replenish itself of unmarried young women, so you don’t have to pay to bring someone in.  Of course, beggers can’t be chosers, as my selection of a Chaste women as my second concubine will tell you.  Maybe every 3-6 months or so?  FYI, nubile concubines give Prestige, which we’ll need later.

Remember how I said Uppland’s controller would make things hard for us?  Yeah, that was an understatement.  Two months in, he attacks us with a Subjugation.  Thankfully, we don’t lose our tribe by losing the war.  I spend the war raiding single-province neighbors.

As the newest vassal to Sigurd Hring, we have a new plan: Eat this guy’s territory from the inside!  Although, we only want Uppland: He is free to conquer the world, so long as we get our Merchant Republic started in the right spot.

Screenshot of where we are, and the only one you get (again, sorry!)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 11:39:45 pm »

This looks interesting. Posting to watch.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Crusader Kings II: Doomed Paradox
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 01:14:27 am »

The Continuing Adventures of the Forsaken Slave Ragnarr Refr!

Happy Monday, and to celebrate, I have an update of this wonderful LP for you!

(Warning, this update is a little heavy on the pictures; I’ll probably use less in future updates)

We start off with my wanting to appoint somebody other than myself as commander, as I have no heir and thus we lose if I die.  But I can’t for unknown reasons, so might as well play as a Viking!

Throughout this update, our liege keeps trying to get me as his commander.  I may be willing to risk my neck and our dynasty for greater glory of our family, but I’ll be damned if I’ll risk it for a liege I never wanted.  His ulterior motives will be revealed in time.

I also repeatedly try to raid our neighbors, only to have to run away as they outnumber me.  I can’t siege them faster than they can respond, sigh.

After getting my three concubines, I become engaged to an infant, because her father commands a vast army (relative to mine, anyways).  He don’t like me enough to form an alliance, so I start saving for gold to bribe him.  Marriages for "large tracts of land" will have to wait for another LP, merchant republics don't often inherit like that.

And a completely asinine event fires.  Do I want to pick a trait that only hurts me, or should I pick a trait that only helps?  Duh, of course I chose to become Just!  Is there ever any good reason to become Arbirtary, except for the lutz?

Then I get a new courtier though event, that I fail to use in any meaningful way throughout this update.  Never even bothered to look at his stats.  Still, should I ever become a duke Jarl, I’ll give the Eunuch lands, knowing he can’t have sons and thus having them revert to me!

Yay, my concubine is pregnant!  Too bad she dies shortly afterwards, before she can produce that most valuable heir.

My future father-in-law died, leaving his less-competent son in charge.  But fortunately, he likes me just a bit better than his father did, and we have our ally! 

I help my future brother-in-law by leading our combined armies to great victory against his foes, worthy of chronicling in the Heimskringla Saga! 
Not really, I’ll be fighting several more battles, although this is the only one where I’m not purely helping myself.  Obviously helping our ally win his war is still dripping with self-interest, but it does help him arguably more than me.  Fun fact: Our ally was hiding his army on that island next to Uppland until I went over there with my army and set them to follow.  So he would have lost without me.  Guess I'm useful after all, yay!

I receive the event from our spymaster where he gives us tech points.  This is vital, as it is probably the most likely way that we’ll be able to learn Town Infrastructure One, without which we can not build our city. 

Our first new dynasty member, and my first opportunity to enshrine the Paradox Staff!  I pick the current project lead for the CK2 expansion as detailed here.  Unfortunately, women generally can’t inherit tribes, but I think her children will be able to act as heirs.  Maybe?
I attribute an upbringing of Duty, which will likely lead to her being Conscientious, noble traits in both the mother of our future dynasty and a project lead. 

Our sweet sovereign, being the inheritor of our single county, has decided to try and kill us, FOR A SINGLE COUNTY!  This guy, throughout this update, repeatedly subjugates everyone around him, yet out of his many, many subjects, we’re the one that must die for him to grow +1.  Needless to say, I start up the Independence faction, although I’m doubtful we’ll live to see it succeed.  What a dick. 

Our liege then slanders us, giving his cause to arrest us.  The fact that he does not in fact arrest us means I really can’t be too bitter, although it still hangs over our heads, I guess.  Suffice to say, should we end up in his jail cell, we’ll soon be dead. 

With all these dark clouds over our heads, it is time to act.  I launch a subjugation outside of our home kingdom, thus it is the only one we’ll be doing with this character (probably), but we need more land.  Plus, it borders lands that we can Single County Conquest.  Our alliance bears fruit, and we go from 1 to 3 counties!

I then do that promised Single County Conquest, and capture two children of the Chieftain.  He then sues for peace, and I stupidly accept, losing the children and that sweet, sweet Wergild!

So we finally have enough territory to create a dukedom jarldom.  But we can’t, because our current liege is a Jarl.  This is important, because we need to be a duke jarl or higher in order to found a merchant republic.  Oh well, its not like we could afford it anyways. 

For some reason, we can’t do Single County Conquest on this Asshat, for reasons unknown to me.  One of my few complaints about this gem of a game is that very few things are properly explained, such as why I can’t Single County Conquest this guy.  He borders me, after all.

Well, that is enough for today, here is our current hero.

And here is the territory of our liege, the Great Jarl Sigurd Hring Af Munso.  Guess who had the better run?

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 05:51:53 am »

Jeez dude, what's up with that map.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.
Pages: [1] 2