Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Let's Play: The Next World! Audience participation mandatory!  (Read 6490 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: The Next World! Audience participation mandatory!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 08:11:50 pm »

For some reason the first image, (the computer screens) the portraits, and the choice image at the end show up but none of the other images appear. Also, you should probably downsize that logo in the OP, as it is the thing is kinda stretched looking. Does Postimage have an upload or view count limit? That might be what is causing this.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:14:20 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 01:08:26 am »

Not that I know of. I host a lot of things for FG&RP and the like, which get many times more views than this thread, and they haven't broken.

I'll find a new host and re-upload some time tomorrow. Early work day for me :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 02:15:12 am »

I've generally used Imgur to host images and that seems to go fine. While there's a 'limit' on the number of pictures on a free account, they don't remove old pictures, they just prevent you from navigating to them in the gallery. Keeping a document with links to important images like character portraits gets around that easily.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 09:07:00 am »

You already know none of them but the last four images show up, but what's interesting and potentially useful is this:
The first img url you're using is http://s19.postimg.org/4t1wngarl/0001.png
When that's opened in a new tab, it redirects to http://postimg.org/image/qfgx4h9bz/full/
That shows the image in a webpage.
The url of the image on that page is http://s19.postimg.org/v1d1ctuv5/0001.png

If that url works for direct linking, the image should appear in this spoiler (and you can go through the same process to get the correct direct linking url for all the images that aren't displaying properly):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.S. Although personally I prefer to just use dropbox.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:08:45 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 08:05:37 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:33:45 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 12:07:59 am »

Re-uploaded every-friggin-thing and re-linked in the first story post. Hopefully it works this time, because if it doesn't then I owe Illuminated Games $13 and Vector the mother of all apologies for monumental failure to deliver.

As much as I'd love to have a story update tomorrow, it's unlikely. I'll shoot for Saturday, when I'm not getting up before dawn and then getting home around sunset.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 12:24:34 am »

Re-uploaded every-friggin-thing and re-linked in the first story post. Hopefully it works this time, because if it doesn't then I owe Illuminated Games $13 and Vector the mother of all apologies for monumental failure to deliver.

As much as I'd love to have a story update tomorrow, it's unlikely. I'll shoot for Saturday, when I'm not getting up before dawn and then getting home around sunset.

By the Cliffs of Solitude! It works! Welp, I guess I should vote then, Get rid of that smoke because asphyxiation is not a good time.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 05:03:18 am »

I told you Sirus, imgur is best and all images show correctly to me, now! :3
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 12:09:03 pm »

Shen is probably Chief of Security, on account of seeming important but not too smart.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2016, 06:06:57 pm »

Leaving Shen and Lucy behind to asphyxiate (and you know they will, too) seems irresponsible. Better clear that up and only then check up on those people who are probably dead. Maybe crack open a window or something. Surely the atmosphere's breathable.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:09:28 pm by Harry Baldman »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2016, 05:09:19 pm »

Shen is probably Chief of Security, on account of seeming important but not too smart.
Better Shen than Sheng for that post, as I see it. :3

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2016, 07:17:00 pm »

So I just loaded the game to play the next section, and...um.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Temporary hiatus, I guess. I already posted in the bug-reporting thread on the Steam forums.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 12:58:57 am »

Apparently it was an issue caused by a bug-fixing patch. We're back on!

Avoiding imminent death by suffocation seems like a good idea.

Shen grabs a fire extinguisher to put out the small electrical fires crackling amongst the remains of rattled and overloaded machinery, while Lucy works to get the emergency oxygen scrubbers online. They engage with a loud thump and the room soon clears.

: That's a bit better. Takagi, right? I remember you from the bridge crew. You never really said much.

: Y-Yeah. Co-pilot. I was supposed to double-check the Pilot's vectors and man the shuttles...

Heh. Vector.

Lucy looks out the window at the distant, smouldering wreckage. Her face is an expressionless mask.

: I don't think shuttle piloting is going to be a major occupation anytime soon.

And this brings us back to the two remaining choices. Since starship piloting is also unlikely to be a useful skill in the current predicament, I go with Check on the Captain.

Also, is the entire bridge crew in a single pod? What if that pod had been one of the casualties? Any survivors would effectively be without leadership...

No power is going to the Captain's capsule. The door is locked shut and her bio readouts are black. By itself that would be a minor medical emergency, but it's obvious even from outside that the conductive cryo-solution has received a massive electrical discharge. The ruined, blackened mess of the Captain's eyes say all that needs to be said.

: Damn...I don't think there's anything we can do for her. We really could have used someone in command. Singh would know what to do.

: I don't think so. They put so many redundant systems on the Exodus, it shouldn't have been possible to crash her. There was no procedure for this. Tempting fate, really. Might as well have called her Titanic.

Shen frowns and turns his attention to the viewport again, where distant figures in EVA suits are beginning to emerge from those lifepods which managed to land upright.

: Are you always this cheerful?

Oh c'mon Shen, that was a good one.

: Only when I wake up from cryosleep to find all my plans for the future half-buried inside an unknown planet and also on fire. Let's take a look at the Pilot, I've got a bad feeling.

Much like the Captain, the Pilot's capsule hasn't opened, and his bio readouts are black. More telling is the large crack in his capsule window, which drips a steady trickle of cryo-solution. The droplets sublimate into vapor even before they hit the floor. The Pilot's desiccated head is sticking up above the solution's surface, steaming as it thaws.

Gruesome deaths aside, I'm loving the vocabulary so far. I feel more VNs should use words like "sublimate".

: Dead. Too bad, I kind-of liked him.

: What a horrible way to go...that could've been us.

: It wasn't. Let's leave it at that.

: ...I know I read your file, but it didn't mention much apart from you being Navigator on the Exodus.

: Right now I'm Lucy Carver, Navigator of exactly nothing, and neither of us have time for small talk.

Lucy takes one last look at the damaged cryocapsules.

: That settles that. We won't find any help here.

: There are other survivors out there, we should put on our suits and see about getting them organized.

: Yes, I think you should.

: ...I'm going to need your help.

: Manage. I've got some things to take care of.

: You really aren't concerned about much, are you? Don't you have anyone else you care about on the ship?

: My son, Michael. The first thing I did was look for his pod. It's upside-down half a mile away. That's where I'm going, and I wouldn't recommend trying to stop me.

: And if he is alive, where are you going to take him? If we don't recover something resembling a Habitat Module from the ship and get it set up, we'll all run out of air and die within a day.

: ...I see your point. Us two being all that's left of the command crew, I guess that makes the survivors our responsibility. Alright Takagi, let's go.

Hm...tough choice. What do, guys?

Hah, just kidding. Lets push on.

The Exodus lies in pieces in a swathe of destruction miles long. Looking down the broken remains of her nose, you can see dozens of fires belching smoke into the atmosphere. A few other survivors mill around in the distance, confused and rudderless. A constant squealing hiss of radio interference plays from your receiver. There's little to do but pick a direction and start walking.

And here, Shen and Lucy model the latest in EVA suit fashion. Orange is the new black, don'tchaknow.

: It's a lot worse when you're not looking at it through a window, huh?

: You could say that. What's the air like?

: According to the analyser...You can hardly call it 'air' at all. Nitrogen, methane, argon, and helium, in that order. Oxygen, ozone, and carbon dioxide barely register. We're going to have a hard time pulling anything breathable from this atmosphere.

: One step at a time, Takagi.

: Hey, what's that?

Shen points to a wrecked cargo container a few hundred yards away. It's had a rough landing, carving a deep furrow in the ground over half a mile long, and it's come to rest at a pronounced angle. You notice distant flashes of movement on top of it - glimpses of an orange EVA suit digging and hauling away at something with a prybar.

: Hey! You, on the crate!

No response. The squat, broad-shouldered shape keeps on digging away at the container, presumably trying to get it open. Your radio just squeals when you try to hunt for a better frequency.

: I don't think he can hear you. This planet really doesn't like radio.

: Let's go closer and get his attention.

A brief fade-to-black greets us with a new portrait!

New Guy: --..#*..mn you, open up! We need--..$@#--

As you approach, a voice begins to resolve through the static, hurling a vicious stream of invective at the container. The figure's movements become more and more violent.

: Can we help you with something?

: ...Finally! I don't care who you are, just come up and help me get this bastard open!

The new guy has a face! And a bit of a mouth.

We are presented with these choices.

"What's your name?"

: And who might you be?

The man draws himself up to his full, though unimpressive, height and glares down at you from atop the container.

: Mechanic's Mate Bastian Hicks, ranking member of what's left of the engineering crew. Do we really need to shake hands and share coffee and biscuits to crowbar up a bent door?

"What are you doing?"

: What's in there that's so important?

: One of the ship's Exploration Rovers, that's what! If we want to get started saving whoever's still breathing, we're gonna need wheels.

So now what? Shall we help this dude or find something else to do?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 01:15:18 am »

Help him, driving will go a ton faster, and it might have a stronger radio then the suits.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2016, 02:23:30 am »

Help him, driving will go a ton faster, and it might have a stronger radio then the suits.
Yeah, seems kind of obvious.  When are we going to get to the hard decisions?
Pages: 1 [2] 3