Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 109055 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #1110 on: December 20, 2016, 04:34:24 pm »

((There was a death in my family, still trying to make arrangements for that. My actions might be sporadic until it's resolved. If nothing else, just have me stand guard outside the house unless I actually see the others in trouble at which point have me go help.))

((Also, I included Whisper in my action incase Whisperling doesn't make one.))

Get Whisper to watch through the window while I knock on the door with the tip of my Glaive, standing as far back as safely possible. If the guy in the recliner gets up to answer and actually turns out to be a monster, Whisper can warn me and we can bail. If not, make polite conversation with whoever opens the door. Or attack them if they attack me. Or if we get some indication that the others are in trouble, abandon the house and go help them.

Spoiler: Joe (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:50:37 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: ORO: Senile ghosts bumbling through the magical realm of mutilation
« Reply #1111 on: December 20, 2016, 05:26:22 pm »

((sorry to hear that Beirus. I'll try to auto you and whisper just to keep things moving. I won't put you in too much risk, really. No more so than the rest of us. Oh and by the way, we could really stand to NOT have two sets of demons to fight us at the same time. I'd prefer if, instead of wakign teh dead, yo ucame and helped us make someone else dead.))

After the Oracle hits his target, I grab him(the Oracle that is) with my grinning dog head and pull him back up through the hole.

Why didn't I think of extending my neck before I let you come in here? Damn it *clomp* Mmmmrph! MM MM RRPMHP MHPPP!

Spoiler: Oz "Minnow" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Weapons (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1113 on: December 20, 2016, 09:23:04 pm »

If you want we can take a break while you deal with things.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 20, 2016, 09:29:58 pm »

((Nah, its fine. Everything should be taken care of by Saturday. And thanks for the support, y'all.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1115 on: December 26, 2016, 12:09:31 pm »

Can I ask you guys how you're feeling about this game so far? Despite liking parts of it, I'm feeling kind of weirdly apathetic about running it. I like the idea, I like the setting, but something about it seems...not right.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 26, 2016, 12:19:07 pm »

Seems quite fiddly.

Setting is cool but...
It's not unvaried, but it's going to be variations on a theme. Like bloodborne as opposed to dark souls (though bloodborne gets round that somewhat with Cainhurst, chalices, dreams).

That's my two cents, at least.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 26, 2016, 01:15:58 pm »

I find myself enjoying it, but if the weight of mechanics is putting you down, it might be time to consider simplifying.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 26, 2016, 01:46:11 pm »

Maybe you could try to narrow down where this apathy is coming from. Could very well be the mechanics, they look kinda cumbersome to me. Or perhaps the setting's individual elements/ideas don't gel well together. Or maybe the freeform nature makes it lack focus and interferes with game/story flow?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 26, 2016, 03:17:43 pm »

Pacing is a bit slow, and reliant on active players. With small teams, inactive players really drag the tempo down.

There are lots of rounds, too, where a player has to be concerned exclusively with defense / waiting, especially if they use the mechanic of corruption

And, the character sheet is rather complicated for a pbp. It would need some kind of app to reliably keep track of stats, parts, bonuses, corruption use and downtick, health, etc.

I like the game, but it does feel tedious to run. I think ER Redux ran much smoother, though I think I prefer this one, personally.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 26, 2016, 03:34:38 pm »

My biggest issue is combat mechanics trump the situation and setting. Positioning doesnt matter because things can gapclose and attack in a single turn without penalty. The game is precision-balanced to the point where every encounter feels like a turn-based jrpg where you can punch out cuthulu if your numbers are big enough and you have no need to worry about breathing in space. My character feels like a statblock, not a character. Basically theres no immersion.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 26, 2016, 03:38:41 pm »

My only problem is how infrequent updates are, really.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1122 on: December 26, 2016, 09:43:40 pm »

I think the problem probably is in the system, not the setting. Hmm. The problem is that internally this is all based around dark souls ideas which are not really RPG things. They're "here is a level, play it" and this kind of reflects that. Unfortunately that means that this is more roguelike than RPG. Hmm...Hmmm

I Need some think...

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 26, 2016, 11:13:30 pm »

Honestly, what got me to drop the game was less the level-type stuff (although that may have been a contributing factor) and more the... inflexibility?

I felt that there weren't really many meaningful actions I could take, aside from "hit monster make dead" and "continue through obstacle course." The thing with the fake humans was a step in a better direction, but... I don't know. Just felt dull rather than engaging for some reason.

Another issue was actually doing the part-swapping and recovery stuff, which was really just waiting and annoyingly frequent failed rolls. Not to mention that it didn't really seem right, per se: You didn't feel like you were tacking scary demon parts onto yourself, it just felt like you were making some slight mechanical improvement or slowly recovering from chest destruction.

-------------------

Honestly, if it were me, I'd take the mechanics away, just a little. Move more towards chunky salsa parts with HP and whatever abilities that were associated with that area of the demon, then find a way to make players feel like they're doing something significant when they replace their head with a canine stomach. Let people improvise in terms of actions and figure out exact damages and effects on the fly.

I get that that sort of thing was probably what you wanted to avoid, given all the fine-tuned mechanics, but (in my opinion) that approach made things feel extremely restrictive and linear, and moved it away from the purpose of having a GM run things instead of a program.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:17:36 pm by Whisperling »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: December 27, 2016, 09:44:51 am »

To me, there's a lot of system to go through before you get to the setting. It looks like making a succesful character is not so much making the character itself, but making sure that all the little numbers are in the right places so that the little numbers we roll during the gameplay get you the little numbers you want.

I know that it's really the same for every game, but it just feels like there's a hell of a lot of crunch before you get to the fun parts. It could just be me personally, since I tend to get an aneurysm from just seeing the character sheets here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 88