Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 108573 times)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION
« Reply #1290 on: April 20, 2017, 12:02:28 pm »

I've actually found that there's a bit of a pattern in terms of the best games, in which they start as something small or spur-of-the-moment and develop into something more. Not just from Piecewise, either- if you look at the RTD hall of fame or the best stories from other forums, there are a surprising number of entries which fit.

Of course, it's hard to gauge how much stock should be put in that, especially because simple and quick games are also the ones which die off on a daily basis.

There's probably a good middle ground somewhere in there. Enough planning that you know where you could steer things, but not enough to bog yourself down or keep some truly zany event from changing things. A weekend seems like a decent place to start.

--------

This seems like a good point to mention something that's been bugging me. Not sure if it's a concern for others (nobody else has really said anything, after all), but I figure I might as well get it out and see whether it leads anywhere.

To be perfectly honest with you, I think the fancy systems you've been trying in ORO and DIG may be doing more harm than they are good. As of right now, it seems they've served largely to confuse people and make things far more complicated than is necessary.

I get that long-term balance is a concern, as it should be. Even so, there are probably better solutions out there than butchering basic gameplay. Maybe try and avoid roll bonuses from things that aren't stats, favor abilities and general common sense instead? That seemed to work well enough for you in Perplexicon.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:08:03 pm by Whisperling »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 20, 2017, 01:20:34 pm »

...general common sense...

Really? Common sense? Here?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 20, 2017, 01:35:17 pm »

I generally take about month of planning... once it gets past a term or so, though, I've come to realise that I'm in "pipe dream" territory and it's never going to happen.

Still, my six weeks of planning are generally pretty low-key, as I like to mull over stuff, and I think PW working for a weekend on something would be roughly equivalent. Which makes me slightly dubious about him planning something for a year. So my (limited) experience suggests the weekend plan might work out.

While this might seem unhelpful, I also think GMing well and having a gameplay loop people like is more key to success than massive planning and agonising over systems. And I don't know how to work out the latter except by trying and seeing, and I'm fairly sure nobody else does.
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1293 on: April 22, 2017, 08:19:33 pm »

Tuesday is my deadline.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 22, 2017, 08:26:26 pm »

Hype then.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1295 on: April 23, 2017, 10:56:56 am »

Red stone plateaus look quite odd from the air.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 23, 2017, 11:08:04 am »

Had a bunch of weird thoughts about decks for moves recently, as was tried ages ago.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 23, 2017, 01:58:00 pm »

I'd been mulling over basically the same thing, but I am also unlikely to ever do it, at least not until I grind up to Legendary GM skill.

Part of the deck is preset from your weapon and armor class, and the rest the player can simply choose, representing equipment and fighting style. When melee combat between two people initiates, they each draw their hand of five cards, and then can choose any number of them to play in any order. After the players make their decisions, the cards are lined up like a timeline and resolved chronologically. This is probably the most stupid/complicated part of the system, and probably requires pictures to explain sufficiently. After this "turn" of combat is settled, the combatants remain engaged with each other, but now in a "harassing" mode, where they keep their distance. Here, you can heal, regain stamina, try to retreat, use short range weapons to do smaller amounts of damage, or reengage.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1298 on: April 23, 2017, 04:38:36 pm »

You guys should look up kingdom death. Its got...stuff not unrelated to what you're talking about.

Making maps is hard when you have no artistic talent.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1299 on: April 24, 2017, 06:36:21 pm »

One of two maps is done. Rules are mostly done. There's a list of stuff I need to finish but I can add to it has the game progresses.

Finish this second map today, even if it kinda looks crappy, and then finish up the rules today and tomorrow; post before midnight tomorrow, my time.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1300 on: April 25, 2017, 10:06:54 am »

How exactly do you decide the size of an image you post on here? Because I have a map to post and it...would murder with its size.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 25, 2017, 10:19:04 am »

Something like this:

Code: [Select]
[img height=500][/img]

You can also specify width, if you don't the width will be rescaled so the image isn't deformed.

Compare:
[img]https://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/hypnotoad-animated.gif[/img]
[img height=100]https://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/hypnotoad-animated.gif[/img]
[img height=100 width=500]https://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/hypnotoad-animated.gif[/img]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:20:39 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1302 on: April 25, 2017, 11:35:30 am »

Thanks RC.

Where you guys think I should post this? It uses polyhedral dice so its not really RTD.  Maybe just the general roleplaying forum?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 25, 2017, 11:43:56 am »

...hard one, but I suspect RTD might be a bit better in terms of people interested. I can't imagine someone looking for a RTD rejecting something on the grounds that it used a D20.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1304 on: April 25, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »

...hard one, but I suspect RTD might be a bit better in terms of people interested. I can't imagine someone looking for a RTD rejecting something on the grounds that it used a D20.
Technically it uses all the main polyhedral dice but yeah, I get the idea. Hmm.

I'll put it in RTD and maybe stick OOC here to save room.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88