Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 108967 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 03:49:17 am »

Zoomed out resource gathering for waitlisters would indeed be neat.  Even turning it into a mini group strategy game might be interesting, if it wouldn't be too much of a burden.
Seconded
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 07:30:22 am »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2016, 07:57:24 am »

Zoomed out resource gathering for waitlisters would indeed be neat.  Even turning it into a mini group strategy game might be interesting, if it wouldn't be too much of a burden.
Seconded
I like this idea.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 07:59:43 am »

needs more airships imo
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 09:10:47 am »

Step one prompts:
- oroboropolis was created for a purpose long ago, long since forgotten by the denizens and likely even the city itself
- oroboropolis stitches together the memories of absorbed souls as a base for its design work. Perhaps it was intended to use intentions instead of simply memories or thoughts, but it was either misdesigned or has since become corrupted. This idea doesn't just justify my last idea, but gives you an opening to create loads of differently-styled parts of the world, and an opening for some sort of magic that involves shaping parts of the city to your will, taming it, as it were (which would most likely also corrupt you, as the city starts using you as a design base in addition to as a source of ideas)
- oroboropolis was definitely first created somewhere, but it has an ability to create large spaces that are bigger on the inside, which means that we might think we've left the city only to still be inside it, and thus it might be really hard to realize if we have actually found the place where the original city was made (especially because it would have spread into there and corrupted parts of that world too).
- this I guess is a prerequisite for all the above ideas, but oroboropolis uses reality-warping powers to expand itself, but it's constrained in that the reality-warping has to make local sense, since the original design presumably intended it for the use of creatures that are generally not comfortable with warped reality. The constraints may loosen in stressful cases.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 10:30:17 am »

Oro could just be a creature whom has resources that have massive boons (origin tech level value) to society, but can only be found/harvested in Oro.
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 12:05:10 pm »

Perhaps the city is self constructing, and self moving, like in Iron Council (Mieville). There could even be groups involved in his that move about the city (as in Aldiss' Non-Stop).

PTW mainly.

Libraries. Construction?
One wheel short of a wagon

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 01:02:08 pm »

If Ramses were there, he'd grab a flamethrower and literally burn the city alive... you know just for the hang of it.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 01:19:53 pm »

The important part is, of course, loot. Since I didn't see it - thought I might've just missed it - I have to ask: would there be randomly-generated loot, maybe relics from former generations of explorers or even items cursed or blessed with powers from entities (which might also be randomly-generated)? Even if the chance of finding something really useful happens to be low... Well, people still buy lottery tickets.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 01:37:15 pm »

So, first question, did you take the inspiration for the whole 'you're going to die eventually unless you get an ending' from Nuclear Throne?

Second, which is related to the first, I don't really like the 'eventually you can't keep using your character' I understand that it's to avoid the problem of vets from ER, but shouldn't there be a better way instead of punishing players for being able to do bigger and better things?

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 04:30:45 pm »

Second, which is related to the first, I don't really like the 'eventually you can't keep using your character' I understand that it's to avoid the problem of vets from ER, but shouldn't there be a better way instead of punishing players for being able to do bigger and better things?

Maybe there could be a way to purge corruption via the sacrifice of loot/other valuable stuff? That would let people keep their characters at the expense of progression if they so chose.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 04:33:42 pm »

I personally prefer having it irreversible and just be an inevitable spiral into becoming a muderbeast. Reminds me of Don't Rest Your Head.

Wait how does the transformation work exactly? Do you just turn into a twisted version of your former self? Or does the City just assimilate you, until all that remains is a grand memorial for which you are the statue, occasionally rising up to brutally murder anyone who dare approach it?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:38:37 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 05:24:32 pm »

Hopefully something like Bloodborne's cleric beasts: a twisted and massive version, with huge weapons and their own boss arena or area.

Competition to create the most powerful boss former PC would be a healthy dynamique in a game like ORO.
One wheel short of a wagon

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 05:44:44 pm »

Competition to create the most powerful boss former PC would be a healthy dynamique in a game like ORO.
Followed by the formation of a Hunter of Hunters-style subgroup :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 06:09:34 pm »

For starters PW, here's the stuff that we came up with in tinker thread before (quoting here to bring everything in one place).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-I'd like it if there was some strategy in it. So, for example, we'd get a map of the city (vague, incomplete and incorrect at places of course) and be allowed to plan ourselves what regions to tackle first, what resources to go for, etc.
-for combat, one thing you could do is that people, when monsters are encountered, describe the kind of tactics they'd use, and then you run combat (multiple rounds) until something big happens (eg extra monsters appear from the walls) or you think they might have reason to change tactics (eg somebody got wounded bad).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 88