Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 107229 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 06:11:15 pm »

Okay that tactic-based combat sounds good, hopefully could run pretty quickly.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 06:12:12 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 06:16:56 pm »

That idea with powerful characters turning into boss monsters with their own boss areas could tie very smoothly in with my idea on making the city build itself using the thoughts of absorbed people as inspiration, hint hint.

I have to wonder how useful these ideas are if they don't go along with the way pw said he's designing the game though, with that whole step-by-step world building then mechanic designing process. Not to discourage anyone, of course, just a thought.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 06:18:19 pm »

Well, loads and loads of material can't hurt too much.
One wheel short of a wagon

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 06:20:56 pm »

He did say to just mention anything one thinks is neat though.

One possible way to do that city origin is make it some sort of external influence, something literally not from this world. Anyone remember that episode of samurai Jack where they showed how Aku came to the earth, just this blob of vague, pure maliciousness that corrupted the land around itself the moment it landed.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 06:57:14 pm »

Why does the city even need an origin though? All it really needs is a reason for people to stop it, and we obviously have that. To cite Nuclear Throne (I know, I'm an annoying cockwad about it), the Throne itself has no clear origins, but there is a clear reason to get to it.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 07:12:12 pm »

What if Oroboropolis exists precisely because the Grand Holy exists? It exists because for there to be good, there must be evil to delineate it. Hell, it could even be the closest entity there is to a god for whatever religion this is. Some sort of unknown, outside threat for which the religion bands people against.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 07:24:04 pm »

As per eventual death, that's mostly there to prevent power creep right? So that missions can stay dangerous without requiring more and more ridiculous power from "The enemy". I see an easy compromise, there is a resonable power cap that can't be passed without becoming corrupted. That way it's feasable for characters to be able to keep trying to stay alive, but at the cost of eventually reaching a power limit. Characters can try and avoid corruption, but in return wont be able to keep increasing in power, and those who crave power can continue to get more powerful, but at greater and greater risk of losing themselves
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2016, 07:59:20 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I agree that it's definitely good fun to come up with whatever ideas we like. As for whether it needs an origin, well, a coherent backstory leads to a more coherent design, even if the PCs never learn of the actual origin of oroboropolis.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2016, 08:49:48 pm »

What could be cool is if the holy city people use parts of the city of the damned like darwinists use beasts in Leviathan.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2016, 08:59:13 pm »

I like the idea of taping demon bits onto a rusty sword to create a giant sword of endless fire and murder or something, perhaps have each part of a creature generate some random effect which you just generate once someone actually loots it.
So the Pretty Princess Vivisection Ascension option? Could be interesting if the demonic bodyparts a person carries also affects what happens when the person turns into a demon, so if say someone's sword has a demon's claw strapped to it, the person once they turn, will have that claw as a bodypart.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2016, 12:58:06 am »

I've been working on the basics today, setting up the guiding principles of what Oro, the city, is. And the history behind it. Something like Oro is old, and the roots of its current form are deep. It's not so simple as a single sin, its a solidification of many.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2016, 02:58:37 am »

PTW :D
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2016, 03:23:28 am »

PTW as well.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2016, 11:19:23 am »

Here's a question for you all, how do you feel about active NPCS? Ie If groups or single NPCS were exploring at the same time you are? Might find them somewhere in there, might just find their bodies, or, very rarely, they might end up clearing and establishing civilization in an area?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 88