Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 108993 times)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2016, 11:23:45 am »

Here's a question for you all, how do you feel about active NPCS? Ie If groups or single NPCS were exploring at the same time you are? Might find them somewhere in there, might just find their bodies, or, very rarely, they might end up clearing and establishing civilization in an area?

I'd enjoy that. It would give a sense that the world was more active, not to mention variety. Everything you see trying to murder you might get kind of monotonous after a while.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2016, 11:35:20 am »

Maybe it's just my love of soulsborne, but I think that NPCs should be mostly passive.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2016, 11:50:40 am »

Maybe it's just my love of soulsborne, but I think that NPCs should be mostly passive.
Or trying to murder you. Also like soulsborne.

Passive NPCs could be in cleared areas. Active hostile ones could be like invaders: fairly equivalent hostile groups to the PCs. Dead or fallen ones could be bosses.
One wheel short of a wagon

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2016, 12:05:43 pm »

Here's a question for you all, how do you feel about active NPCS? Ie If groups or single NPCS were exploring at the same time you are? Might find them somewhere in there, might just find their bodies, or, very rarely, they might end up clearing and establishing civilization in an area?

I think living world is awesome thing. Obviously they shouldn't be common sight outside of camps, but occasional encounter with them, their corpses or their traces would be nice.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2016, 01:45:19 pm »

You mean war crime opportunities? Sounds like a dream come true.
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2016, 02:20:17 pm »

I would like active NPCs, doubly so if we can eventually have some influence over them after our inevitable player-built command structure is complete.

However, I don't want them if they would add a significant amount of extra work for you, piecewise.  It's a nice touch to have the world be alive, but it's not a good game mechanic.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 03:31:14 pm »

I would like active NPCs, doubly so if we can eventually have some influence over them after our inevitable player-built command structure is complete.

However, I don't want them if they would add a significant amount of extra work for you, piecewise.  It's a nice touch to have the world be alive, but it's not a good game mechanic.
The NPCS wouldn't be a full fledged mechanics so much as a part of the world. A lot like the souls games where there might be a few big name NPCS you could find around or who would do things on their own, but not a whole simulation of NPC activity in the background.

I ask because I know some people dislike NPCS showing up before you.

In other news, I've been researching things about city growth and civilization. Amusingly, city expansion over time looks a lot like growth in a petri dish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNl5FiOBiSc

An interesting thing about ORO is that not only does it act as a living thing, but that it is an ecosystem onto itself as well. And it consumes lands as it travels, so you're gonna find some very interesting places in there once I'm done.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 03:36:22 pm »

You mean war crime opportunities? Sounds like a dream come true.

I concur.  They're in a nice resource site?  Trade with them, maybe even sidequest guard them.

They're in a great resource site?  Kill them.  I'm sure that won't corrupt your soul or anything.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2016, 04:29:44 pm »

An interesting thing about ORO is that not only does it act as a living thing, but that it is an ecosystem onto itself as well. And it consumes lands as it travels, so you're gonna find some very interesting places in there once I'm done.
Do you mean that, like, if at one point it consumed a tropical island, there would be an island, or pieces of an island, inside the city somewhere, except all corrupted by evil demons? Because if that is what you're saying that would be awesome.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2016, 05:14:18 pm »

Ptw
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2016, 05:40:46 pm »

Yeah, I like the idea of active NPCs.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2016, 05:56:58 pm »

Competing factions, certainly. Alliances might affect loot/gear too.
One wheel short of a wagon

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2016, 06:17:01 pm »

Active npc's has my vote 100%
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2016, 06:21:01 pm »

Yes! That sounds excellent!
It always bugs me when the players are the only ones who ever seem to be doing anything in a gameworld.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2016, 06:22:02 pm »

I’d like to see npc’s do their thing, makes the world seem more alive. It also makes it easier for you if you wanna set certain things in motion, though I would try to make it so that the npc forces don’t really ‘upstage’ the players chars. What I mean, if eg. There is a boss monster several player expeditions haven’t been able to kill, then some npc’s shouldn’t take care of it off screen, though they could do things like observe it to try and find a weakness or inform us when the thing has moved away. Other example, an npc scouting party might find a new previously undiscovered route, but they can only give vague info on what lies beyond it (maybe rolling to see how much info they can give) so it’s still up to the players to go and scout it out in depth.

Maybe the players not going on missions can help decide to some extend on what tasks the npc peeps will focus? Aka do we want them to mostly gather intell on a new type of enemy, search for resource X, stay at base because we expect an assault soon, etc. Things like that will depend on how much strategy elements you wanna have, or if you wanna keep the npc aspect close to you for easier handling.

(Unrelated to previous, just kinda came up when writing previous)
I think that expeditions should get to decide themselves what objectives to pursue, and you could provide incentives if you’d like to steer them in a certain direction (eg Y money for whatever team takes down the boss monster that appeared in the sewer. High level teams could then try to do that as a sort of side objective, while lower level teams might make that the focus of their expedition).

And perhaps make it so certain objectives are only active for a limited amount of time, so that it is almost impossible to always get everything done, so the players will have to prioritize, and decide whether trying to get one more objective is worth the risk after an already taxing expedition. Alternatively, have mission objectives be given by some npc leaders, but then try to make sure there’s enough variety to choose from.
I’d also like it personally if doing certain things has a measurable effect on the gameworld beyond just some text/flavor (eg take out a hive, and the chance and difficulty of random encounters in that area goes down).

One thing I think could be interesting is having some sort of hp system, because chunky salsa is easy but has the problem that most attacks are often either useless, crippling or killing. However, having hitpoints (or stamina or something) makes it possible for even a high level party to get ‘whittled down’ by lower level enemies over time. This will create more incentives to establish forward bases, as well as make parties face the difficult decision of when to quit and head back (instead of just going on till enough members have perished or it’s a TPK). Of course, chunky salsa can still be in effect (roll bad enough and your head gets chopped off no matter your remaining hitpoints) but it could help to represent the small cuts and bruises and fatigue that decrease a character’s capability to fight, without the lowest unit of that being a lost arm.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 88