Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 110382 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #465 on: April 28, 2016, 02:21:05 pm »

That's cheating!  >:(

INwithaMaul
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 28, 2016, 03:32:18 pm »

Well, I'll do knife again if there'll be four slots.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 28, 2016, 05:40:40 pm »

Count me in the next test run (if there is one) with a Falcata.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 28, 2016, 05:53:15 pm »

Five already? in with stealth cloak and dagger. Just in case it's possible.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 28, 2016, 07:20:46 pm »

Something like that might work if there's a rock-paper-scissors like system attached to it, where certain stances/techniques give bonuses against others. Otherwise 1 char/entity might be so powerful it literally can't even be scratched by another. It might quickly fall prey to 1 strategy being strictly superior though, and again would probably be very restrictive in terms of influence from the environment.
Yeah, this is the problem.  When you have total deterministic systems, you have the chance of fights that are literally unwinnable; where you can throw an infinite number of low level characters against an enemy and they will always fail.

Though, a rock paper scissors style thing might not be too bad. I had a lot of fun with a game called "Magic Pengel" back in the ps2 era that had combat based on a rock paper scissors mechanic.

Then again, I also had a lot of fun with phantom dust, and thats essentially a card based combat mechanic. Hmm.

I loved Magic Pengel. Unfortunately I played that game at a friends and I live up north, so the fact that that game was super rare meant I never got to play it again
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 29, 2016, 04:04:31 am »

I feel like we're loosing track of one of our original goals here, that the system should be simple and straightforward for pw to run and use. I feel a system with no random dice element and a specific list of predetermined (combat) actions, that has to be varied enough to still be interesting and balanced, might get too complicated (or be simple but have an obvious best strategy 99% of the times). Not necessarily so, mind (chess has a limited list of actions and no random element and is stil deep and engaging, but not overly complex with its basics. Then again, that is a pinnacle of game design, and doesn't have to mesh well with other game elements and story considerations).

Though, a rock paper scissors style thing might not be too bad. I had a lot of fun with a game called "Magic Pengel" back in the ps2 era that had combat based on a rock paper scissors mechanic.
Then again, I also had a lot of fun with phantom dust, and thats essentially a card based combat mechanic. Hmm.
Rock paper scissors mechanics can be added to just about any system though, and become more difficult if you want more than 3 categories interacting (just look at the recent type chart for pokemon games). And phantom frisk had ability cards and such, but it was also an action game where you still had to actually go out and use them yourself in whatever way you saw fit, you didn't just select a card and watch what happened, which is what a card system here would probably entail.

Also, if we can suddenly reserve a spot on things that aren't even there yet, I'm calling dibs on the firstborn of the people who preemptively signed up. Also their livers. And primae noctis.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:06:51 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #472 on: April 29, 2016, 10:55:19 am »

I feel like we're loosing track of one of our original goals here, that the system should be simple and straightforward for pw to run and use. I feel a system with no random dice element and a specific list of predetermined (combat) actions, that has to be varied enough to still be interesting and balanced, might get too complicated (or be simple but have an obvious best strategy 99% of the times). Not necessarily so, mind (chess has a limited list of actions and no random element and is stil deep and engaging, but not overly complex with its basics. Then again, that is a pinnacle of game design, and doesn't have to mesh well with other game elements and story considerations).

Rock paper scissors mechanics can be added to just about any system though, and become more difficult if you want more than 3 categories interacting (just look at the recent type chart for pokemon games). And phantom frisk had ability cards and such, but it was also an action game where you still had to actually go out and use them yourself in whatever way you saw fit, you didn't just select a card and watch what happened, which is what a card system here would probably entail.

Also, if we can suddenly reserve a spot on things that aren't even there yet, I'm calling dibs on the firstborn of the people who preemptively signed up. Also their livers. And primae noctis.
You've got a good point. It's tricky to make a game both fun and quick. And inevitably it has to be quick otherwise 60 players ain't gonna work. Not unless we go full meat grinder and 60 players get to play because the average lifespan of a player is 10 turns out in the real world or something.

Time to abandon all pretense and just roll d6's at each other until someone dies!

But seriously we gotta find a way to make this viable and scaling. I should look into boardgames.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 29, 2016, 02:49:00 pm »

you could roll slightly larger dice and divide them up, then add the players skill points, for example, take a d20, divide it into five sections of four, each section has a certain outcome (1-4 Really bad - 5-8  bad - 9-12 neutral - 13-16 good - 17-20 really good) then a player can have up to a score of 3 in any skill, so any player could still fail anything, but as you get better you are more likely to do better.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:51:30 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 29, 2016, 03:40:42 pm »

Another option would be to exclusively increase sides, rather than giving actual bonuses.  A normal person rolls a 1d6, but a skilled person might have a +6 bonus, meaning they roll a 1d12.  This way, everyone always a chance of failure, but generally performs better than an unskilled person.  I... actually don't know why you'd do that, as it mostly just makes things slower for no real benefit, but hey.  There you go.

Honestly, I don't see what the flaw with the current system is.  It works fine, it's quick, seemingly easy, and with a few more weapons/skills/cards, it can have a lot of customizability.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 29, 2016, 05:43:01 pm »

Joke's on you. Both of those already exist, and I've been doing a fine job of destroying them. All you'll get from me are responsibilities and sadness. Sucker.

Not unless we go full meat grinder and 60 players get to play because the average lifespan of a player is 10 turns out in the real world or something.

You could do something akin to what is happening in m27. make an officer class, an NCO class, and a "meat grinder" class.

Everyone starts at the bottom. Everyone's first character has the life expectancy of a sandwich.
Play a given number of these, or be actually successful with one through luck and skill, rather than through AFK Syndrome, and you get the option of playing an NCO. these guys could 'lead' either npc meatbags, or newbie teams, and would be responsible for actiually making objectives (not full missions, but the a part of a mission - take that hill, defend that husk, bring me a beer). Play enough of these, and you have the option to become an officer class, these guys have the possibility of actually directing missions and determining strategy and the like, whereas the tiers below do what they are told.
Edit to taste.
Also, this makes missions scaleable in another way as well. Meatbag tier episodes can be nasty, brutish, simple, and short. NCO tier could be along the lines of your card game thingy, and Officers (make sure this tier is a rarity, a treasure to be won [perhaps even not unlocked until a given number of players have each played a given number of ncos or such]) could be a tad more freeform. But with officer level, give hard limits, so that , while free form, the players remain under pressure. certain real life time limits, like "you have three rl days to get through this section, or your faith meters will be decaying at twice the rate. five days in, and most of you will become monstrous."

Time limits for action, would keep the pace going, though you would have to establish a method to handle "away for actual liefe" situations. additionally, quick paced games benefit certain types of players more than others - like the 'play by phone' set and the 'on summer break and have zero responsibilities' set.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #476 on: April 29, 2016, 09:35:18 pm »

Maybe a dice system where you sort of wager dice.

For instance, set up 5 turns like

Attack 1
Defend 1
parry 3
attack 2
attack 1

With each number being the number of dice you're gonna use to do the roll. More levels, more dice to use, better rolls.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 29, 2016, 09:53:41 pm »

Joke's on you. Both of those already exist, and I've been doing a fine job of destroying them. All you'll get from me are responsibilities and sadness. Sucker.

...I'd really like to interpret that "both" as referring to your liver and primae noctis, for the humorous implications, but I'm guessing it isn't.

:(

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 29, 2016, 10:40:14 pm »

Nowadays, with the magic of emulators, even games that used to be rare really aren't.

Also, obligatory link to Shadow of the Colossus's ISO.
I wish the Vita had a form similar to the psp go. The PSP Go was perfect for portable emulation

Also, I haven't kept up to date with the ORO discussion. Did we abandon the concept of greater power coming alongside corruption? Because it seems like that concept right there keeps scaling from being too much of an issue. Aside from that I dont have any ideas at the moment for how to make combat quicker. Stating your general tactics and letting PW fill out the rest?

EG: Vincent is wary of the situation, he'll let others take charge if they want to, but he will contribute to the offense. If things seem hopeless he will flee

EG2:
Aggression: Low Medium High
Risk: Low Medium High
Defense: Low Medium High
Primary Range: Long Medium Short
Secondary Range: None Long Medium Short
Final range: Yes No
Chance of Fleeing: High Medium Low None
Help Teammates: Fight Heal Escape No

Maybe with the choice system have some bonuses or negatives to come with some choices, like crit chances being higher with high risk or something like that
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:59:07 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 30, 2016, 07:54:13 am »

...I'd really like to interpret that "both" as referring to your liver and primae noctis, for the humorous implications, but I'm guessing it isn't.

:(
I mean all three.  8)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 88