Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 109023 times)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: ORO discussion
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 06:24:52 pm »

Competing factions, certainly. Alliances might affect loot/gear too.

Hmm... There could be groups which might act as sponsors or donors if someone (or the team as a whole) helped them accomplish some sort of goal. They could provide better stuff, backup, or special info, among other things.

Maybe they could even work against you if you actively opposed their plans? That's a little iffy, considering how lethal everything already is, but it might provide some interesting dynamics.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2016, 06:29:04 pm »

RE: HP system: perhaps something like:

Healthy --> Mild Scrapes ---> Somewhat Injured ---> Perfomance-affecting injury ---> crippled --> mortally wounded --> Ded.

Or with two sets of injury level: one for crippledness/loss of mobility (affects speed, dex, etc) and another for blood loss/general injury/organ damage (affects strength, stamina, maybe end).
One wheel short of a wagon

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2016, 06:37:13 pm »

Hostile competition from other groups of settlers could work if we fight over the small pieces of tamed/settled living space. And about being upstaged by NPCs, I'm ok with it as long as we don't really have NPCs in our own settlements that upstage us -- for example, some guys that were evicted from their settlement for beginning to become corrupted, who end up near one of ours, offer to help us out a bit, go and kill some things, wander off, and end up becoming a problem down the road cuz they've been corrupted and turned. That kind of thing could make a fun mini-arc.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2016, 06:50:44 pm »

Is it too early to start talking about character concepts, or do you think it would help you to develope the world? Also, do you know what tech level everything will be yet? Like, is it modern, futuristic, medieval, or somewhere in between like a post apocalyptic? Is there magic and do we have access to it? Just asking questions to get more of an idea/help you to figure this stuff out. Fell free to ignore anything you're not ready to answer yet.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2016, 06:57:18 pm »

I've gotten my hands on a copy of spacehulk. I wonder if there's anything in here that can be useful.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2016, 08:56:07 pm »

Totally down for active NPC's!
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2016, 09:18:53 pm »

I really like the concept of paradoxes. Something that exists because it exists, like a time loop. Or something that exists merely because it is the only thing it can do. Like a living thing, that tries to stay alive because it only knows how to stay alive.

Paradoxes in general. The TV is showing "Inception" right now. That movie had very fun special effects. I really liked the staircase scene, Penrose Steps I think they're called. Or the concept of mazes and fractals disguised in real life architecture and environments.

Another concept is the concept of the void. The concept of need or of balance. In Dishonoured, the Outsider is supposed to have been created through a ritual to fill a void in the world. A void which is expressed as a literal void, a black-hole like thing around which the planet orbits and that will eventually devour it. But also a metaphysical void, the hunger of that void to have a god. There was a void. It needed a god. So someone who could become a god existed. And after thousands of years, that someone will die and another will take its place.

Sorry for incoherency. Tired.

I've gotten my hands on a copy of spacehulk. I wonder if there's anything in here that can be useful.
The lore around space-hulks is quite interesting. The game itself, while quite fun, isn't very deep I think. At least not lore-wise.
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Space_Hulk

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2016, 09:50:00 pm »

On the topic of HP, I'm somewhat split between preferring chunky salsa or HP.  I can see pros to both options.

An idea I had is to have no significant holy magical healing; If you get a limb lopped off, and manage to survive, you're not getting a replacement leg unless you use demonic magic.  More minor wounds that could heal on their own might prevent you from going on several missions in sequence, so you'd have the option of either healing naturally over time, or risking corruption.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2016, 10:05:30 pm »

An idea I had is to have no significant holy magical healing; If you get a limb lopped off, and manage to survive, you're not getting a replacement leg unless you use demonic magic.  More minor wounds that could heal on their own might prevent you from going on several missions in sequence, so you'd have the option of either healing naturally over time, or risking corruption.
I rather like this idea.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Nunzillor

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2016, 10:08:03 pm »

I rather like this idea.
Me too.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2016, 10:10:59 pm »

I rather like this idea.
Me too.
Agreed. It makes sense as well, since as all ER players will attest, medicine is the darkest of the dark arts. And also a psychotic yandere bitch, but that's less relevant.

Unless, Orobopolis is basically the health care system and the Grand Holy's faith opposes all medical practices :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:14:29 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2016, 11:15:06 pm »

I like chunky salsa in terms of my health systems.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2016, 11:19:10 pm »

I like chunky salsa in terms of my burrito fillings/corn chip dips.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2016, 11:46:43 pm »

Chunky salsa with a side of a fate system?
Basically a hidden stat that can deflect minor attacks, but is consumed in the process, and you may or may not regain it over time.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2016, 09:34:45 am »

The hp thing can easily be replaced with a 'stamina' bar or even a 'morale' level, just something that represents fatigue and minor battle damage accumulating over time. Also helps prevent expeditions taking forever due to players just hanging out in low danger level areas.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 88