Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 88

Author Topic: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION  (Read 109035 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: ORO: Character sheet
« Reply #1260 on: April 10, 2017, 08:10:11 am »

Or let people roll skills and then choose which stats to assign those rolls to, like in DnD.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 10, 2017, 11:24:37 am »

I would lean towards rolling all stats, and then allowing one swap.  So if you really want to play someone with high mind, but rolled low for it, you can swap it with a high stat you don't care about.  Since we're allowed ten points wherever, you should be able to make any two stats fairly good, regardless of rolls.

'Course, it does allow a bit less freedom for players, because they might end up with a character who's amazing for a role which they have no interest in, and have to render it mediocre to play their desired role.  Such a system would be my preference, but I can see why others might dislike it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1262 on: April 10, 2017, 01:25:33 pm »

There's also the point that we need to make character gen somewhat quick because...well, revolver has 6 lives. OURO doesn't.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 10, 2017, 03:16:55 pm »

There's also the point that we need to make character gen somewhat quick because...well, revolver has 6 lives. OURO doesn't.
Could we have a little bit more health? Because constantly generating new characters would get really frustrating.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 10, 2017, 04:45:23 pm »

I love making new characters, please kill me lots PW-[INSERT JAPANESE SUFFIX HERE].

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1265 on: April 10, 2017, 06:30:20 pm »

Could we have a little bit more health? Because constantly generating new characters would get really frustrating.
You'll probably have the same health, but hitting zero HP won't kill you instantly. Think the Xcom thing where you can get downed but if someone deals with you quickly, you can recover. But remember that this is a game where we anticipate plenty of people wanting to play, so fast turn over is an important part. An alternative we have is that stats are fully rolled and skills are chosen by the player. Doing this would allow me to generate large numbers of "population" from which the players are already going to be drawn. And you can just choose which body you want.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 10, 2017, 06:51:25 pm »

I like the idea of having lots of bodies that the players can freely choose from, but then people would probably fight over the higher stat ones. :P
If you go that route, maybe also give each body a sex, age, and appearance. To coerce people into not playing as incredibly generic young men.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1267 on: April 10, 2017, 07:55:36 pm »

I like the idea of having lots of bodies that the players can freely choose from, but then people would probably fight over the higher stat ones. :P
If you go that route, maybe also give each body a sex, age, and appearance. To coerce people into not playing as incredibly generic young men.
Funnily enough, I already have a generator for something like that.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/as0s1i4frtdyss0/Name%20generator2.html?dl=0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 10, 2017, 08:21:23 pm »

I remember you making something like that for ER NPCs I think, but it was never used. Wouldn't be astray to use it for Oro.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 10, 2017, 11:16:29 pm »

To coerce people into not playing as incredibly generic young men.

If you can't stand out playing an incredibly generic young man, does having ten pages of purple eyelashes really help?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1270 on: April 10, 2017, 11:20:06 pm »

To coerce people into not playing as incredibly generic young men.

If you can't stand out playing an incredibly generic young man, does having ten pages of purple eyelashes really help?
Sometimes looking different can give you ideas of how to create a more unique character. Looking different doesn't make you different, but it can play a part in the actions and personality that actually do make you unique.

In any case, we're getting a head of ourselves. Once I get the basics of this system set out, I'm gonna do the world building. I have to have a good idea of the layout of the world before I stat doing the building tech trees and such.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1271 on: April 18, 2017, 08:39:54 am »

Boss fights in this are gonna be somewhat interesting. Mostly because they'll probably have to behave differently from most fights.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: ORO: ANOTHER QUESTION
« Reply #1272 on: April 18, 2017, 09:56:58 am »

Question: Should we go with a more simulationist approach or a more video gamey approach in relation to the town and advancement.

Specifically, should the town have needs to fulfill, a set population, and have the chance for invasions destroying buildings and the like. Or should it be more videogamey; ie the town will grow as you advance and these advancements cannot be lost; you can't run out of population, you can have invasions but the worst case scenario is losing characters and resources.

I ask because that first one, the simulationist one, is a lot more realistic but also has a very definite chance that the game could advance to some point and then the town could be destroyed and result in, basically, a game reset.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 18, 2017, 02:23:42 pm »

I think it depends how often bad stuff happens in towns. If it is daily occurance, then video gamey approach is best. If it is very rare, then realistic. Having to go back and recapture town is probably fine if it doesn't happen more than twice over course of the game. Any more and it becomes more of annoyance than fun.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 18, 2017, 04:00:54 pm »

Realistic. Gotta defend that shit.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 88