Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: How the outside world sees us  (Read 28788 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: How the outside world sees us
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2017, 08:01:05 pm »

I have, sadly, never met anyone who has heard of DF. I usually start by telling them about the necromancer-bacon scheme, the cats getting alcohol poisoning from cleaning themselves, and various other stories to illustrate how detailed it is.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2017, 01:47:26 am »

I've gotten tiers of responses.

(Average casual gamer) Oh woah, I've heard of that. I've heard it's super complicated.

(Hobbyist who plays games) I tried it once but I just couldn't figure out how to make stuff work.

(Dedicated gamer who delves in to games) It sounds awesome I just don't have time to learn it.

(Programmer / Dedicated gamer friend of mine) It's cool, the ridiculousness of the simulation, but the input methods, the UI...sheesh....ain't nobody got time for that.

I've never found DF "hard" in the way it's always described. I find programming in C++ hard. DF was reading a wiki and failing a few times until I figured out how to make a running fort. After that it was just exploration of systems I hadn't tried and gratuitous faffery. *shrug* It's just a time investment in learning because each system is it's own "thing" and has to be studied and understood how it fits into the bigger gameplay loop. And I'm a reader by nature, always have been. So spending a weekend referencing wiki articles while I played a game was like....normal.

So when people say "oh wow, so complicated", I think they're actually saying what players who are capable of playing DF but don't will just tell you straight out. "I could learn to play this awesome game but I don't want to spend my time reading 12 to 15 wiki articles to understand how to do it. It's more fun to hear about than it is to play." The fact that learning and playing DF has a kind of obsessive quality to it and "the base" has carried that out to the rest of the world hasn't exactly helped that perception.

TLDR: Strange Moods.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2017, 05:42:24 am »

I've never met anyone IRL who knew Dwarf Fortress before me. So...most of the reactions were "WOAWWWWW, that seems awesome". Part of them continued to ask me stories about it, or funny anecdotes. Especially younger people (and especially children). But nothing more. Some people have actually gone to the bay12 site but were stopped by either ASCII and language (I'm French).

On top of that :

Really our best method is to create more Boatmurdered-tier stories and the like. Posting these stories and hosting these let's plays on more visible communities such as reddit and somethingaweful or other let's play forums could accomplish this. Try to get as many new eyes on the produce as possible.

+1

What DF community lacks is writers who could translate what makes the game great to "the world".
And, probably, too,a good tutorial.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2017, 08:04:17 am »

at its core, a fortress needs

- nothing

because some fortress stories are about throwing mobs of mildly trained dwarves at the undead or hostile occupation until they are dead or flee.

the game has a lot of excess data that needs to be filtered to make a tutorial for people not hell-bent on learning on their own by doing.

something like:

- here is my fortress in its nth year.  pretty right?  i am under siege from the xyz brigade.  how did we get here?

- skip to embark.  dont do pre-embark yet.  cover basic crap like digging a hole.  and stockpile.  and the basic 'workshop pull from stockpile, hauler push to new stockpile'.

- cover skills and then do pre-embark.

- cover the rest of the skills and industries.

this way we get the gameplay out before we do the logistical grind.  df is scurry because of the information overload a newbie gets shoved into their faces.  they have an interface that needs remodeling, a graphics pack that was theoretically possible when Atari was popular, and a game about having no control directly over your subjects
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2017, 10:16:48 am »

and a game about having no control directly over your subjects

I don't see the point playing DF if this was the case...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2017, 10:42:44 am »

You cannot directly control any of your little dwarflings.  You tell them to do things that they do.

Take the military.  Or the 'sock' meme.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2017, 05:11:02 pm »

You cannot directly control any of your little dwarflings.  You tell them to do things that they do.

Take the military.  Or the 'sock' meme.
What management games have ever featured direct control of your subjects? That's kind of the point of these games, you manage people, as opposed to playing as them (although in Dwarf Fortress you can actually do both). That's been the case since Sim City and Populous and probably earlier.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2017, 05:16:42 pm »

The Dungeon Keeper games had the possession spell, but that's the only exception I can think of.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2017, 08:26:35 pm »

dungeon keeper was a good example of why god games dont do direct control.

the idea is nice; the realities of programming two game modes you can swap to o  the fly less so
PKs DF Mod!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2017, 05:11:34 pm »

I told my friends that in DF, sufficiently traumatized females can miscarry. They thought it was hilarious and horrifying.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2017, 05:49:31 pm »

I'm the only one I know who found out about this game on my own.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Civillain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel!
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2017, 11:18:18 am »

Dwarf Fortress has had some unexpected benefits for me due to the way it's perceived. I'm a woman and I hang in a lot of gaming circles, and I occasionally get those men that  start knocking my game choices as not "hardcore" enough to call myself a gamer, or trying to get me to prove I am worthy of identifying myself as a gamer.

When I mention Dwarf Fortress, they shut right up. It's only happened a few times, but it's thanks to the fearsome reputation of Dwarf Fortress that I got that satisfaction! Honestly I wish it happened more because it makes me way too smug. Alas, as I get older, the people around me get more mature and I haven't needed to "prove" myself in over a year.
I put Dwarf Fortress videos on the internet https://www.youtube.com/c/Civillain

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2017, 11:26:38 am »

Still though, that's pretty awesome/funny
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2017, 11:50:45 am »

df has plenty of 'casual' players.

our largest forum is called 'casual games and roleplaying'  :o

df's difficulty is renowned from its earlier releases.  2d stuff.  i hoped in at 34.01 abouts, and it was a matter of bring willing to fail my way to success
PKs DF Mod!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2017, 03:35:02 pm »

I found out about DF (and NetHack) from an article by Eric S. Raymond called "An Apologia for Terminal Games."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11