Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: How the outside world sees us  (Read 28814 times)

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How the outside world sees us
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 03:52:17 am »

Sad to admit that I never played ASCII DF, I'm too used to tilesets that just watching an ASCII screenshot makes me go "WTF?"

And I think that the lack of graphic, even elementar 2d skin, is the biggest obstacle in DF spreading.

Lots of people I know don't even want to try it, even after watching tileset version of some screenshot.

Toady has to improve menů accessibility if he wants to raise popularity (and I know, I know, he wants to create a good game instead of a popular game, and IMHO he's working a lot in that direction and I'm glad He's doing it)
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 06:25:44 am »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 07:16:23 am »

Sad to admit that I never played ASCII DF, I'm too used to tilesets that just watching an ASCII screenshot makes me go "WTF?"

And I think that the lack of graphic, even elementar 2d skin, is the biggest obstacle in DF spreading.

Lots of people I know don't even want to try it, even after watching tileset version of some screenshot.

Toady has to improve menů accessibility if he wants to raise popularity (and I know, I know, he wants to create a good game instead of a popular game, and IMHO he's working a lot in that direction and I'm glad He's doing it)
i hold the opposite position. when i see graphic tiles -- with those disgusting patches of grass that look out of place -- i want to vomit and ask myself how could anyone play that. ascii on the other hand looks belonged and streamlined. its really just a matter of taste though

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 07:47:53 am »

Well it is just whether you get used to or try to get used to.

I play both ascii and tileset. DF has finest tileset/graphics which I enjoy very much, but vanilla DF is a bit more faster. When I play remotely on a server without a GFX card, I can still enjoy the default ascii graphics.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 12:19:11 pm »

i hold the opposite position. when i see graphic tiles -- with those disgusting patches of grass that look out of place -- i want to vomit and ask myself how could anyone play that. ascii on the other hand looks belonged and streamlined. its really just a matter of taste though
it depends on the tileset, mostly.

I don't like spacefox for example and I LOVE maygreen and ironhand
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 07:21:48 pm »

If the game had used a graphical tileset from the beginning no-one would be suggesting now that it should be replaced with ASCII, for clarity.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 07:46:00 pm »

If the game had used a graphical tileset from the beginning no-one would be suggesting now that it should be replaced with ASCII, for clarity.

False, many rooguelike players ask for ascii tile sets for roguelikes.
Also, I prefer ascii .
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 07:46:21 pm »

when I play masterwork I use the obsidian soul tileset.

in other versions I just use default asii
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 09:41:46 pm »

I just got the missus to take her first step at doing more than beating up some goblins with one of my adventurers, it is installed on her chromebook (via crouton > a xubuntu type build looks like) which is a happy side-effect of her being frustrated with hangouts when several of her friends use skype and finally let me talk her through the install.

She can identify some stuff from me showing her things and explaining what is going on but it's still intimidating when first starting out.

She enjoys the way her friends assign her a bit of wizard status just for getting stuff about the game/understanding the jokes. Curious what they'll think when they hear she has it installed on her system, her own copy and everything.

I don't use the default curses set since I upgraded to a +1 vorpal tileset and the option of a pure tile-shaped graphics for the sentient creatures with CLA for animals.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 11:50:22 pm »

-snip-
If not for a background in playing MUDs and ASCII games like The Two Towers, Nethack, Angband, as well as games that involved a modicum of reading like Kingdom of Loathing and so on, I doubt Dwarf Fortress would have sustained my interest.

Oh wow, I've never met someone else who knew of KoL, let alone played it. Do you still play? I don't, but my account was Potato L.

To add my two cents, I never play ASCII games or rogue-likes; my interests lay in RTS, 4X games and and city-builders. To me, DF is the most in-depth city-builder there is, that gives you absolute freedom in a way no other game does. When I make a seemingly innocuous design feature, it actually affects my fort in some meaningful way, which is why this game is such a draw for me.

Anyone I've spoken to about DF has either never heard of it, or only knows it from this picture, which I feel like is no longer representative of the game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 05:12:33 am »

I myself am quite new to DF still. Not even touched fortress mode yet but been having fun in adventure mode for the sole purpose of gory combat, meaningful interactions and play/be as a muscular ape-armed female of my own modded-in and customized furless super lynx race with digitigrade legs.

I prefer a good/great game over a popular mainstream shite where females usually for some stupid marketing reason have a very poor choice of armor made for them and they don't even look like a warrior.. seriously, where are your muscles, physical fitness and endurance!?! Ya really expect me to believe those thin bone-like arms can wield that 10+kg greatsword!!? Eat healthy and neccessary nutrients and get some muscle on your body, train and then I believe you!

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, mainstream gaming can go fuck itself. Been burned out way too many times by games never delivering what I need.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 05:55:10 pm »

I had some experience with MUDs, rougekikes and BBS doors like TradeWars, so texty interfaces weren't scary, but I hadn't touched one in quite a while... I had moved on to 4X games when the saw an article about "the most inscrutable video game of all time."  I downloaded it thinking it can't possibly be that hard.

It was.

But as mentioned above the game is fantastic for modding.  I arrived at the tail end of 34.11, and I had these ideas for a mod, and the more experienced modders were generous with their time and experience.  And the players give great feedback as well.

My mod has maybe a couple dozen players.  Making it has been a fun challenge, and I'm glad I was able to do my part to make DF more enjoyable for those players.

Edit: missing word
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:57:16 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 06:18:19 pm »

I've tried to tell people about DF, but they and my wife just start backing away slowly. Only my son whose 7 years old seems to like it so far, but his fortress designs are all kinds of insanity.  :)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 01:04:53 am »

I used to play KoL (Character: Uade Green (#541572).) First heard about DF from Minecraft. Saw my brother playing DF about a year later. Decided to try it for myself about a year after that. I've tried ADOM and Brogue, but I think that was after DF.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 04:42:15 am »

I don't play it much, but I love to mod it (and try other mods) and see what occurs.

+1 as a DFHack developer. I haven't had a "real" fort since 0.34.11.

I like bisasam's tileset: square ASCII with a nicer font.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11