Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: How the outside world sees us  (Read 28600 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: How the outside world sees us
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2016, 04:55:09 am »

I don't play it much, but I love to mod it (and try other mods) and see what occurs.

+1 as a DFHack developer. I haven't had a "real" fort since 0.34.11.

I like bisasam's tileset: square ASCII with a nicer font.
I turned the semi-graphical tiles back into the CP 437 tiles while I was upscaling/desquaring it into a BigAsAMofo Bigasam set.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2016, 05:53:19 am »

Cool, thanks!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2016, 11:41:25 am »

It's one of my original favorite sets, and I still love the clean feel from the line weights.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2016, 12:47:23 pm »

I find DF, like KoL, are the products of personal vision. They fit into Raph Koster's view of games as art. This is not to say you can't have a collective vision, like the Wong Kar-Wai/Chris Doyle/William Chang combo, but most of the time work done by a group groping for breadth like (insert name of gaming company/hollywood studio) won't have the right feel because the overriding concern is money. The world always sees that sort of thing as odd. Once you become accustomed to the idea that the considered normal is perhaps only worthwhile to those who would pursue it, everything becomes clearer.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2016, 05:34:48 pm »

Well my best friend does enjoy to play DF, I got him into it after we played a few games like clonk. Might have been from reading pcpowerplay. Then our other friend is pretty big on roguelikes never on ascii or anything lacking graphics, he was willing to do a share fort with us till I jokingly changed it so dwarf woman had beards and I told him. Meet someone else while playing Age of empires 2 they played dwarf fortress as well. Then there was this British guy in the clan I'm in, big on 40k and pretty much min maxed everything even space station 13 (He always liked being HoP making people fill out paper work and giving them the wrong ones), he ended up playing naming every dwarf after everyone.

Well thats mostly every friend I know that plays DF or has attempted, everyone else pretty much won't touch it because of the lack of grahpics mainly or that its overly complex. Hell I played DF in ascii first thing, when I got my friend playing it we both used phobus... took a while to see I wasn't liking the fact I knew who was each dwarf just by the picture and was hurting my imagantion and I hated the look of terrain for that set. Went through alot of tilesets CLA for a bit then through a few random ones before finding taffer's one with the diagonal hollow walls, that set is beyond perfect dwarfs might need a change but I love it sadly forgot what colour I have used with it.

I wouldn't really know of how the outside world sees us I think its just like everyone likes different games, though the fact that ascii seems like the biggest wall for people to get over makes it hard for people to accept that DF could be fun for them. Its much like everyone having a different play style while playing DF, I just don't use bridges or cage traps for defense its so much more fun to attempt to wall off when the danger arives and either fail or succeed. I pretty much avoid using exploits unless it fixes a annoying bug (quantum stockpiles because bins are broken) don't like min maxing either.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2016, 07:29:16 pm »

People see my screen and think I'm hacking North Korea or something.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2016, 08:52:28 pm »

Ancient Toadese secret eh?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2016, 07:58:27 am »

Well, where do you think all of these mountains are? Kansas?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Blue McRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2016, 07:12:27 pm »

Shhhh. Don't tell. We've come so far.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2016, 09:16:29 pm »

I usually pitch DF to people as some variation of "DWARF FORTRESS: HALF TURN-BASED COMBAT SIMULATOR, HALF TOWER DEFENSE GAME, HALF FANTASY WORLD GENERATOR!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2016, 12:44:09 pm »

"It's like reading a book if the book was written by a random assortment of authors, many of whom were drunk, also the book might be on fire sometimes."

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2016, 12:48:01 pm »

"It's like reading a book if the book was written by a random assortment of authors, many of whom were drunk, also the book might be on fire sometimes."
You forgot to mention that it's a WhichWay book giving you the illusion that your input might, just might, have some impact on the outcome.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2016, 01:23:26 pm »

Imagine one building built by 20 architects. They weren't working together and each had a different design. That's how a succession fortress is.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2016, 10:15:38 pm »

When it's not greeted with a confused tilt of the head, "Dwarf Fortress" generally lights up the same mental association networks, both positive and negative, as "Linux".
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2016, 04:12:25 am »

Yet in Linux-minded circles the mental association lean more towards the reactions you get from mentioning "FreeBSD".
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11