Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: How the outside world sees us  (Read 28890 times)

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How the outside world sees us
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2016, 09:50:16 am »

"It's like reading a book if the book was written by a random assortment of authors, many of whom were drunk, also the book might be on fire sometimes."

So basically the bible?

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2016, 03:24:16 pm »

Imagine one building built by 20 architects. They weren't working together and each had a different design. That's how a succession fortress is.

"It's like reading a book if the book was written by a random assortment of authors, many of whom were drunk, also the book might be on fire sometimes."

So basically the bible?

To me it seems more like an abstract ever-changing labyrinth designed by the minds of madmen each driven to madness differently by Cthulhu himself but in such an abstract and ironic way that once Cthulhu decided to enter this labyrinth of madness, he himself would be scarred for eternity for the horrors he just suffered with missing limbs and tentacles and saying to himself every time in his mind "I don't even wanna know what this creature called 'The Froggy Pink Squeezer of the Gods' even is anymore!".
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 10:52:09 am »

What an odd thread. The handful of people I've mentioned Dwarf Fortress to didn't care much. Let's not make Dwarf Fortress out to be some obscure, strange pastime that others somehow find weird and interesting. It's just a game.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 11:02:21 am by Taffer »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2016, 09:52:35 pm »

What an odd thread. The handful of people I've mentioned Dwarf Fortress to didn't care much. Let's not make Dwarf Fortress out to be some obscure, strange pastime that others somehow find weird and interesting. It's just a game.

Then you didn't mention it well enough. It simulates an entire fantasy world and everyone important in it as you play.Its like teh fantasy matrix..especially in adventure mode.
tell them that.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Droggarth

• Bay Watcher
  • Ischrotaur Axe Lord [SUPERNATURAL][STRANGE_MOODS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2016, 10:10:07 pm »

Aye, a !FUN! in-depth immersive game of many worlds and many failures (and victories in my case) and most importantly: many stories. Hench why I see it as an abstract construct of how a game should be as nothing has ever come close to what I have sought in a fantasy RPG game.
"I'll make my own way." - Max Rockatansky

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2016, 03:43:18 pm »

my brother said "it lacks all and any kind of program-to-user-connection".
and i was playing with spacefox and mousecontrol.

most friends get instant eyecancer when i send them screenshots or links to videos.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2016, 03:48:49 pm »

my brother said "it lacks all and any kind of program-to-user-connection".
and i was playing with spacefox and mousecontrol.

most friends get instant eyecancer when i send them screenshots or links to videos.

convince them to love it.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2016, 09:29:09 pm »

I have begun seeding DF among the population of my school. The reaction of some is "Why?" and the reaction of others is "Why is that crocodile being beaten by a mad child with a scepter?" of which both reactions usually lead to the same conclusion; "Why did I not know about this?"
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2016, 09:48:07 pm »

I have begun seeding DF among the population of my school. The reaction of some is "Why?" and the reaction of others is "Why is that crocodile being beaten by a mad child with a scepter?" of which both reactions usually lead to the same conclusion; "Why did I not know about this?"

Does you school have a dead drop?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2016, 03:25:16 am »

I showed this to a mate at school and he instantly fell in lov with it. He did get confused between a goblin and a goat at one point, fighting both outside a vault.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2016, 06:21:41 am »

I showed this to a mate at school and he instantly fell in lov with it. He did get confused between a goblin and a goat at one point, fighting both outside a vault.
Wait until his fort is visited by a drake :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2016, 01:47:02 pm »

I'll admit, I was resistant at first to getting into it, when a friend regularly poked me to try it. But then again, that was a specific friend that does that a lot with games, so more often than not I finally get into a game long after he's done pestering me about it. :V

Generally every friend I know that's looked into the game but isn't a big fan has hit that same stumbling block of the controls being a clusterfuck, but most of them also aren't major roguelike fans. If you've played other roguelikes, it seems to be less of a clusterfuck to get used to.

Funny enough, lack of proper graphics has yet to be a stumbling block among the friends that have discussed it. It helps that DF's psuedo-ASCII tileset is relatively sensibly used compared to some roguelikes. Though it's likely just my having greater experience with the default graphics, but DF is just about the only game where I prefer the ASCII style to a tileset.

The fact that 90% of DF tilesets I've seen are a blurry mess in practice doesn't help with that. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2016, 02:04:17 pm »

Back to what the OP is asking... DF does have a reputation on Reddit.  They have a subforum called "nocontext" that basically considers quoting from /rdwarffortress to be cheating. 

I mean, the general theme running through the community is best summed up by "comedic sociopathy."  We can talk about zombie cloning techniques, drowning, and spike traps in discussions about RAISING CHILDREN while being completely serious.  Wives being happy about killing their own husbands in "satisfying" sparring matches, mothers curing their depression by making a bin out of their OWN BABY, using babies as shields in combat, babies saving fortresses by strangling eldritch abominations... I mean, I could go on... JUST WITH BABIES. 

So aside from the "great sage of nerdcraft" reputation, there is also that dark image of a bloodthirsty barbarian playing God with human life... which... eh... we don't really do anything to damper. Its kinda like the Tyranny and social darwinism of Sims players... but with battleaxes and amputations... which are by no means mutually exclusive. 

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2016, 05:33:10 pm »

Reaction-wise from others, it's a mix. My bro dislikes the graphics and asked me if I was playing a retro game at first. When he heard what it was, his reaction was akin to the words "just why?" None of my in-person friends play it, mostly because they're either not gamers at all, not PC gamers, or just aren't into the genre. One friend used to play but doesn't anymore. He'll still happily sit there listening to me talk about it. And he's not shy about telling me how dark my play gets, if I go dark at all. Others who hear about it are either afraid of the difficulty they heard about, or they have no clue what I'm talking about.

Never any of this divine worship some others are talking about.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2016, 08:46:29 pm »

It also happens to be an exceedingly important game, on many levels! There's nothing else quite like it.

I once told a new acquaintance about how all I ever really played was Dwarf Fortress. He replied with: "oh, you're one of those people." The car was dark but his tone implied eye-rolling. I'm still not sure what he meant, and since he ended up trying to convince me of the relative merits of polygamy I'm not certain that I care to know.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11