Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 115934 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (A Succession Game... in v0.23a???)
« Reply #405 on: June 27, 2016, 10:06:46 am »

Well, its less "secret king that kills people" and more "king that goes nuts and sentences 10 miners to 100 hammerstrikes"
I guess that would give us a legitimate reason to get rid of him! If he even appears. No sign of a king yet :/

We're in mid-summer now, so not much left. A couple of nobles appeared and capitalism is now a thing. It's been surprisingly peaceful. The unicorns have claimed only one dwarf. Probably going to finish this tomorrow.

I vaguely remember the way it works is the dwarven civilization has to be aware you struck candy, so he won't show up for sometime until after the dwarven caravan comes and goes. We should probably have the necessary quarters ready for him. Due to the histfig bug, he won't make any mandates or demands beside the candy ones. If you check a dwarfs screen, they should have a new message that they're enamored with adamantine that the miners discovered.

Here's the full list of patches in DFhack-23a, including one to disable "Too Deep": https://github.com/quietust/dfhack-23a/tree/master/patches

I'm actually gonna leave it up to you guys to decide whether or not we wanna disable the "too deep" message or not. Setting up a poll for it now.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #406 on: June 27, 2016, 10:19:09 am »

Voting for, though I'll note there's an absurd amount of candy on 23a maps. i.e., enough to put the entire fortress population in plate mail.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #407 on: June 27, 2016, 10:46:59 am »

However, in this version, there isnt a 100% drop chance.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #408 on: June 27, 2016, 04:02:41 pm »

It's dependent on the skill of the miner. Legendary miners will always produce a boulder.

As a note, do we have a dungeon master yet for taming exotics? (I'm guessing we'll need to mint more coins)
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 29, 2016, 04:10:25 am »

A note: I'm leaving for vacation today, so don't expect me to be as on top of forum things as I normally am (as little as that is anyway). Try not to burn everything to the ground during my absence :P.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 29, 2016, 05:30:58 am »

As a note, do we have a dungeon master yet for taming exotics? (I'm guessing we'll need to mint more coins)
Not yet. I've minted quite a lot of coins now, so I guess it won't take too long.

Btw, the turn is done! Sorry for the delay, sudden busyness occurred. I'll write a report soonish. Not much happened during the latter two months actually. One failed mood, one other unicorn-related death. That's about it really. And of course, we have the economy now. I might as well post the save here already: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12200

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #411 on: June 29, 2016, 12:53:46 pm »

I wonder if we have cheap low rent rooms for our dwarfs to live in.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #412 on: June 29, 2016, 01:25:45 pm »

I wonder if we have rooms for dwarves to rent.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 29, 2016, 03:57:36 pm »

Oh, we have lots of different kinds of rooms, ranging from 1-square prison cells to "luxurious" 4-square rooms. And everyone seems to be bathing in money atm for some reason.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 30, 2016, 05:49:46 pm »

Lost in Boarpaints, vol. II - Confusions and monetary mayhem - Vuohijumala ramblings continued

1st - 15th of Granite
Oh look at all these sweet puppies! How adorable! There's an other pack as well! There's quite a lot of them running around actually.
Spoiler: Them dogses (click to show/hide)

Sibrek drops the jet mug. Why? What? Why is it a thing everyone's muttering about now?
Spoiler: He dropped it (click to show/hide)

Bomrek, our engraver has made some art.. which is certainly not something that looks like it would boost any morale.

King Murdok and Gwolfski seem to have finished off quite a few horned buggers out there. Good job!
Spoiler: Dead ponies (click to show/hide)

---

16th of Granite - 17th of Slate
Elves! They arrive with.. two pack animals. I really wouldn't call that a caravan.. and bugger, it's those darn kobolds again! The first manages to escape, but runs into Onyx keeping a lonely watch at the bridge. The second one is ripped to shreds in a narrow corridor by an army of dogs and puppies..
Spoiler: Kobold chunks. (click to show/hide)

I have to admit. We do have a bit too many dogs going around.

I don't want to slaughter any puppies! Maybe we'll just finish off a few female dogs.. Oh, we apparently seem to have caged some goblin thieves also. They shall rot in their cages for all eternity.

What do you mean I haven't ordered any farm plots be built? Do I specifically need to order you all to do that? You're saying we don't have a growing food supply at the moment? Oh Armok.. Go! Make farms!

The elves leave. Whatever. They're really only good for trash disposal anyway.

---

18th of Slate - 8th of Felsite
Our smith Tun is taken by a mood! Hopefully he's going to craft something useful. He's a smith and all.

Oh my, we've got a proper migrant wave!

There's one who claims to be a mayor, thus the new headperson here. Didn't see you build this place.. She's also put up a royal guard, and they are seeking recruits. I wonder if I'm eligible..

Oh, and then there's this one fellow who keeps making notes of all our stocks and is also acting like a big boss, demanding more coins to be minted before he's even made it to the fortress. And of course, they both demand separate offices and dining rooms and such.. I guess we'll have to carve something for these buggers too.

Then there's a large bunch (16!) of random people. One of them knows how to smith, at least a bit. He was the only useful one it seems.

While I try to show the newcomers what our fortress is all about, our nobles come to me and say we are now supposed to start using the coins we've minted. What for, I ask? To buy stuff.. made by us? To pay a rent? What the ****? Why should I pay you for living in the room I've dug for myself?? Well, technically it was Nil who dug it but let's not sway away from the point. This is an outrage! Do you have any legitimate reasons on why we should do this? Tell me why we shouldn't just shower you fellas with bolts already?

Then they say something about work and motivation, and how a monetary system is essential to ensure no-one starts slacking around. They also say that I'm a truly valuable individual here at Boarpaints, as I'm putting my life in line for the defence of our fortress and the protection of our ways. I am? They also say that's a reason why I shall get a larger pay than a common, lazy worker, who can just sit inside the safety of our walls without sacrifice. Well, yeah, that sounds about correct! All these bums and loiterers should be thankful I'm around here! For some reason though, they won't let me in the royal guard.. They say they have already selected "appropriate" dwarves for the job, but they again state that my service is very special and important, and that no-one else would be that special and important at commanding our squad. Well, you've got that right there! I guess these nobles aren't such a bad bunch, eh? I knew I was special!

When we finally get some order here with the newcomers, we're sad to find out that Tun doesn't seem to find the items he wants. He needs some rough gems, I'd like if he could tell me which gems.. There are some exposed clusters visible, let's try mining some of them.

---

9th of Felsite - 10th of Hematite
A trapper dies! He ventured a bit too far..

Tun has disappeared from the forge. I guess he's found the item he needs.

Another still shall be built. We're again running low on booze!

Tun is again missing something! Apparently it's a gem again. I'm starting to fear the look in his eyes.. Maybe we should start searching deeper for gems that are not available at the moment.

While inspecting the walls, I suddenly stumbled upon this grand hall someone has built here! I don't remember ordering anything like this. It looks like it's made for a king!
Spoiler: How can one miss this? (click to show/hide)

"Indeed it does", says our Trade Minister who's suddenly appeared next to me. Apparently, the order came from the nobles. Hey, I'm the overseer here! What's this thing about ordering stuff done without consulting my authority?

"How's your account?", he asks.
"Uhh, why? Well, right now I don't have much money"
"Are you going to pay your rent? I understand you have a good quality room. It must not be very cheap.."
"Umm, no. It's not."
"Remember that we will have to take some measures if you fail to provide the payment in time.."
"Uhhuh."

Blast it! I hate these fellows again!

"Are we expecting someone?", I ask. The Trade Minister gives a short glare and leaves. I don't like this at all.

---

11th of Hematite - 10th of Malachite
Humans arrive, and they have a proper caravan!

A guild representative also comes to discuss about trade. I really don't know what we need, but I'll just name commodities at random.

We're getting quite desperate with Tun. We've mined many different kinds of gemstones, but none of them have appeased him. He doesn't react to anyone anymore. He's just staring at his anvil..

*2 days later*

Right. Tun snapped. We couldn't get him the gem he desperately wanted, and he responded with throwing his cow pet into the magma. Guards! Come quick!

The cow that went in flames also had offspring following her, and that calf gave Tun a lesson in exchange and kicked him unconscious. It keeps battering him.

The battle rages. The calf falls over from over-extertion. Tun awakens and passes out periodically. No clear winner is emerging yet. The fighting is so furious(?), that no-one dares to go near the two. This situation is not quite ideal, as Tun was practically the only dwarf here to have even some kind of skill in smithing.. We have that newcomer, but his skills are not that impressive..

Nil, the miner rushes in and ends the conflict with a well-aimed swing from his pick. Tun is really dead. This is truly horrifying..
Spoiler: Death scene (click to show/hide)

The caravan merchants announce that they'll be leaving soon. Right! Trading! How did I forget about it?! I must rush to the depot immediately..

At least the unicorns can be of some use to us.

We bought food and drinks. A few animals also. Sold random stuff. All's good.

---

11th of Malachite - 27th of Galena
Mistem is unhappy. She was just maimed and left to wither by the unicorns. We might as well ban hunting completely, as all wildlife here apparently has a horn.

Rakust, crafter has a mood! Hopefully this won't end as bad as the previous one.

Rakust hauled three stones of marble into his workshop and began a construction! Well, that was easy!

Rakust created a marble crown worth of 9600*! I guess it looks nice. A marble crown. Hmm..
Spoiler: Suitable for a king? (click to show/hide)

Well, we were all a bit poor some time ago, but now we're quite much bathing in money! At first everyone seemed to go bankrupt, but now even the lowest classes have far more money than they have to pay for. I really don't understand this thing they call economy and how it works, but I guess it's nice. At the moment, at least.

Ral has given birth to a boy! Congratulations! There's no merrier place to grow up in as Boarpaints.

28th of Galena
I hear there's a tomb being built next to the great hall. To whom, I yet again wonder?
Spoiler: For me? (click to show/hide)

The word about the discovery of adamantine might have travelled quite far, I guess. Is.. our king coming? Are we really building a new mountainhome here? Nah! Just look at this place. I'd be surprised if the king would even make it alive through the fields roaming with unicorns.. There's some fuss going on. Ah, it's time to select a new overseer? Hey, I can volunteer continue as an overseer! Didn't I do good? You're not going to choose me? Why not?! Blast you all! ...

Autumn is here!
---
Here's the save again: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12200

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #415 on: June 30, 2016, 06:09:40 pm »

On gems: he either wanted cut gems, or rough gems if you lacked one or the other, or he wanted a specific gem he had a preference for. Material preferences were *drastically* dialed down after 23a to make mood failure a much rarer thing. In 23a, you'd be lucky to get a 50% success rate.

The dwarven economy usually starts smoothly. Wait until the tax collector comes and the evictions begins. The real problem with it is dwarfs suck with using coins, and a lack of supply and demand. Shops also are now buildable.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #416 on: June 30, 2016, 07:04:43 pm »

Elves! They arrive with.. two pack animals.

Elves always brought exactly 2 pack animals back in 23a, just like Humans were the only ones that would bring wagons (and the Dwarven liaison only allowed you to request seeds, anvils, and picks) - it wasn't until later that Toady generalized the caravan logic and allowed Elves to bring more pack animals and Dwarves to bring wagons.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 01, 2016, 10:02:14 am »

Hey, nice job! I have to say, this disaster fortress is really coming along! I forsee much !!FUN!! in the future once the tax collector arrives...

And it seems like y'all don't want a disabled "too deep" message. I guess this means that the next guy gets to murderate the king!

Sending a PM to TheImmortalRyukan.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #418 on: July 01, 2016, 10:16:13 am »

It's a pity the king isn't draft-able (though maybe it can be done with DFhack-23a), else I'd say make him fight the unicorns. I must admit while I like we have a FTW device, it does mean the game gets kinda easy :/.

Anyway, he needs to die in a completely over-the-top insane way. At least he won't mandate beside the candy crafts one, and even then it should take awhile to get that to happen, so we have plenty of time to think of a way to get a royal dwarfite bar. Maybe pit him one on one against wild critters and see if you can grind him into a god.

The other option is to disable the hammerer in a way he can't execute fortress population or at least deprive him of his hammer, though that can go wrong for many other reasons.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #419 on: July 01, 2016, 10:19:20 am »

Lock the hammerer up, along with the other nobles. Problem solved.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 44