Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 115913 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (A Succession Game... in v0.23a???)
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2016, 06:38:13 pm »

Sorry guys, I wasted my time trying to patch the exe!

Anyway, a migrant wave of 19 dwarves arrived in the middle of spring. I'm digging out rooms for them, or at least will be once I'm done with the industrial rooms. Priorities!

Late Spring: While digging out the new rooms, I struck silver! An idiotic hunter from the migrant wave was mauled by a unicorn. He'll live. Or he won't.

I was doing some "research" on the wiki. Turns out unicorns were almost worse than elephants in 0.23a. Have fun!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2016, 10:07:10 pm »

Also, unicorns cannot be butchered in this version (due to BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD), so all you're going to get from them will be bones. Granted, those bones will be quite valuable (modvalue 10), but there will be no unicorn meat for this fortress.

Also, don't worry about over-hunting - in version 0.23, all wildlife populations are effectively infinite (there's a limit on how many can spawn, but that limit resets every year), so nothing will ever go extinct (unless you pour magma into the chasm, in which case all chasm creatures will be gone forever).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:09:25 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2016, 07:16:32 am »

Could you not dorf me yet because I have a back story for my character, if you did could you PM me pls ;)
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2016, 01:58:32 pm »

Early Summer: The humans came, and were immediately mauled by unicorns. We stole all the loot we could, because reasons.

Late Summer: Dodok, a craftsdwarf, is possessed. He screams that we build him a workshop. We do. RIGHT OUTSIDE THE MOUNTAIN. Thankfully, all he needs is two willow logs, and he crafts a willow bracelet (decorated with willow and encircled with bands of willow), muttering Kalurilid Nomamkol the whole time. He returned to normal after the last band was placed on the bracelet and he raised it up, but he has no memory of what he did, so we're calling it Kalurilid Nomamkol, after his muttering. Translated roughly to "Throneruled the Godly Counsellors." Interesting. There was a bit of a scare when we ran out of food stockpile space, but a few barrels temporarily fixed the problem, and we're carving out more room for the food and drink.

Early Autumn: As the cave river overflows, muddying the farms as well as the tree farm/shrubbery I dug out a few months ago, my exploratory mining pays off: I find a large chasm cleft through the mountain. Although the creatures inside may be dangerous, this will finally be the solution to our vermin problem, which is filling the hallways with miasma and reducing morale. The dwarven caravan comes, bearing much meat and fish. Er, about 55 meals worth. It will certainly help during the bare winter, though. So will the many farmers currently tilling the mud and growing plump helmets to last us through the winter. Brewing is at a minimum, and the well is frequented much more than the drink pile. Rather sad, but better safe than sorry.

Late Autumn: A peasant is struck down by a unicorn! Dodok become uneasy and drops his bracelet. A child is mauled by a unicorn.

Early Winter: Winter has come, and we have 214 edible plants, as well as nearly one hundred prepared meals. I am fairly certain that nobody will starve. If there is a shortage, we can always cook seeds and slaughter dogs. Olon has been killing unicorns, and I now learn that the slaughtered peasant was her spouse. A tomb was constructed for him, but not until he rotted away into a skeleton. Fikod the craftsdwarf withdraws from society, sketching and sneaking around. He went to the clothes maker's shop and grabbed some cave spider silk cloth (our weavers have been collecting it from along the river), but stopped. He drew some squares, so I told Doleolsus Doesleus (wtf?) to carve some blocks. Unlike back in the 3d place, one boulder is only carved into one blocks. (wtf?) But it was fine, and Fikod got the chalk blocks and some "imported" (read: stolen from the corpses of humans) fox leather from the stockpiles, and began a mysterious construction. As the migrant swordsdwarf started to try and kill some unicorns, Fikod created a cave spider silk toga (encircled with bands of cave spider silk, on the item is an image of two catapult parts in fox leather). I wonder where the chalk went.

Late Winter: A batman corpse is found in the stonefall traps, so the engineers build more. A naked mole dog attacks the miners as they mine out a shaft through the mountain, hoping to find more of the platinum they found crisscrossing the chasm. Since the miners are quite skilled with the pickaxe, it only takes a few strikes before naked mole dog meat is on the menu.

OOC: Haha, Quietust, I'm actually worried MORE now that I know unicorns can't be made extinct. I'd love it if they were. Profit or no, I swear these unicorns will be the death of this fortress.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 07:20:13 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2016, 08:46:56 pm »

Unlike back in the 3d place, one boulder is only carved into one blocks.
That was actually a thing all the way until Minecarts were added in version 0.34.08 - nothing 2D-specific about that.

I wonder where the chalk went.
Blocks only got used as a "work surface" back then - they didn't get incorporated into the artifact, but they still got used up for some reason.

Out of curiosity, which exact patches are being used for this fortress? Just the bugfixes, or some of the "enhancements" as well? I'm specifically thinking about "artifacts always get dropped, never hidden or kept", which, although behaving more like later versions, could possibly make things less interesting in the long run.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2016, 08:56:20 pm »

I only patched in the bugfixes.
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2016, 09:39:12 pm »

Yo jwoodward, did you dorf anybody? I'd like to update the dorfing list.

Also, do you have any screenshots of the fort? You don't need to put them in your writeup, I'm perfectly fine with you just lumping them all in one post.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:42:14 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2016, 01:20:53 pm »

Late Winter (continued): I find a great magma river, and hoping to build a bridge or a magma forge over it, look for hematite. Far down the river, I see a familiar glint of red-orange ore, so I begin to dig down there. But spring arrives! Yay! And I'm no longer in charge of anything, not even my own pick. Sigh.

Well, my recommendations for you:

1. PLANT ALL THE SEEDS. LET NO SPOT GO UNTILLED.

2. Keep making cloth. We'll need it to replace the clothes that are already becoming threadbare.

3. Make a military.

4. Make more traps.

5. Build a barracks near the magma sea and the chasm. Also more defences there, not just traps but... ((look at the wiki page for chasm/magma river. Make sure you're on the 23a page.))

6. DON'T GO INSANE LIKE THAT GUY DID. HE HID HIS WONDERFUL TOGA HOW COULD HE DO THAT?!?

7. MAGMA MAGMA MAGMA. Traps! Moats! Bridges! Forges! LET ME DIG OUT THAT WONDERFUL HEMATITE!

Yours respectively,

Jwoodward (miner)

((Quietust: I was referring to the RP "homeland", which is presumably v.0.42.06. The only two worlds my dorf knows is 1. 3d world (advanced) and 2. 2d world (primitive), so she refers to them as the 3d and the 2d worlds. Also, I thought the moody dorf would say "I need a proper working space" or something if they wanted blocks to WORK on. Maybe that's only for fey dorfs.))

((I did not dorf anybody, but I can do that if you like. Also I can get a large screenshot of the whole fort up. [hopefully zoomable, because it'll be way zoomed out in order to not take up 300000000 screens worth.]))
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2016, 02:02:16 pm »

King Murdoc is a miner, Taupe is a swordsdwarf, pisskop and TheImmortalRyuken are farmers, Vuohijumala and MoonyTheHuman are mechanics, El Rey De Los Monos is a child, Arcvasti is a peasant, Edward Tohr is a metalsmith, and Mihr is a drafted peasant who can't tell a sword from a crossbow a Mistress.

Save is here. Picture is here (download for picture; I will post a picture once I figure out how to upload/convert a bitmap).

Map is http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12662-local_map-1
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:33:24 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2016, 03:03:19 pm »

I'll start my turn sometime tonight unless something comes up or I forget.

EDIT: Firing up the save now.

Someone tapped me on the shoulder and informed me that I was now in charge before running off. I think I recognized that J Woodward guy as he hightailed it back to the fort proper.

First thing I do is look around a bit, see what exactly I've just gotten myself into.

What's with these horrible little cells for bedrooms? They're barely fit for prisoners.

And apparently some people are hurt. A peasant, a trapper, and a child are laying in the hospital. Apparently the child is unhappy. Well, the useless little booze-sucker can deal with his broken leg or whatever.

I also notice that only the mason's shop is busy, so I set about ensuring the other shops are used. You can never have too many mechanisms, right? Anyway, there's still a craftsdwarf's shop outside, so I have that torn down. I keep hearing awful things about those unicorns, so I figure that it's best to keep everyone inside. There's a pack of 'em across the river now.

They look nice, but you can't really trust anything with a sword growing out of its face. Though, that gives me an idea...

Before I set any plans in motion though, we've got some improvements to make. The catacombs are rather tiny - a good thing for now, I suppose - so I order them expanded. One of the other dwarves suggested that I just like designating things. I suggested that he shove off.

Nobody likes to live in cells, so I order some new bedrooms dug out. Not enough for everyone, but at least some people will get to live comfortably.

Seems the previous overseer left me a list of things to do... Set up more farms, I guess? The ranting about magma and insanity is rather concerning but more crops won't hurt. More -socks- for everyone.

While I puzzle out how to bridge that magma river and also get some indoor farms built, I let people work. The carpenter gave birth to another worthless booze-sucker a little girl.

There's a lever right outside some rooms that look like they're being flooded for irrigation. I can't tell what it does, so I have someone pull it, but nothing seems to have actually happened.

I see the recommendations about the military, so I-
oh god what the fuck

did the previous overseer literally put every single dwarf in the fortress into his or her own squad?

I elect to ignore the issue of the military for the time being.

ohgodwe'reallgoingtodie

I mean, uh, everything's fine. It got a bit wet for a little while but now those rooms are full of nice, fertile mud. The farms got made pretty quickly after the flood.

Although the organizational system of the military here baffles me, I figure I should contribute something to the fortress defenses, so I order some chambers for future siege engines dug out. I have them put the workshop in that big empty room by the farms.

Oh come on, the hospital isn't that bad. However, the more pressing issue is that our metalsmith seems to uh, be possessed.

I'm not entirely certain how I didn't notice.

Either way, he doesn't seem content with the regular forge, and we have no steel to create a magma forge yet. I'm just hoping he goes harmlessly insane at this point.

Heard some commotion outside.

All told, five masons, a carpenter, a swordsdwarf, that manager, the sheriff, and another trapper showed up, along with some useless dwarves worthless booze-wasters blithering idiots fisherdwarves. Good to have more hands around, though I was hoping for a couple more miners. Perhaps the two fishers will get a new outlook on life.

Actually, there were a lot more than that, but I gave up after I erased what I wrote three times. A shitload of people showed up, alright? Now I've gotta worry about digging out and furnishing rooms for all of them, and trees don't seem to be growing particularly fast.

Apparently the migrants had another dog with them, but they lost it just outside the fort.

Fucking fancy-ass horses deserved what they got.

FUCKING UNICORNS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:02:30 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2016, 10:11:37 pm »

Eyy, loving the updates so far!

That lever by the farms? If you pulled it, pull it again! It keeps floods from flushing dwarves off the bridge and into the river.

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2016, 11:01:58 pm »

Edward Tohr is a metalsmith

However, the more pressing issue is that our metalsmith seems to uh, be possessed.

Oh nooooooooooo. :P
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2016, 11:16:30 pm »

I hope you like gibbering insanely.

In other news, probably stopping for the night.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Kadian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon (Semi-wild)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2016, 03:07:23 am »

So, my Mistress is in "The regal paddles", huh? I don't know why, but I love it  :D

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2016, 10:49:33 am »

This quickly devolved into a very big mess.. in typical Dwarf Fortress fashion
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44