Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 114476 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (A Succession Game... in v0.23a???)
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2016, 10:53:16 am »

Something weird happened...

I woke up today and the entire past year just vanished...

I hate Temporal Paradoxes... gives me migraines
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2016, 12:30:59 pm »

Sadness. I was enjoying that last update. Sad to see it was all lost.

These unicorns really are starting to become a problem, aren't they? Hehehe...

The last save was where the previous post ended. I'm checking right now to see if it's broken.

Looks like it's fine. I probably won't get any progress on it until tomorrow, though.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:34:33 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2016, 05:59:48 pm »

The last save was where the previous post ended. I'm checking right now to see if it's broken.

Looks like it's fine. I probably won't get any progress on it until tomorrow, though.
Looks can be deceiving.

The only way to know for certain is to compare the timestamp on regionX.sav to the timestamp of the newest .dat file in the regionX folder - if regionX.sav is older, then the savegame is corrupted and may very likely lead to a "Unit File Corrupted/Missing" error (which later versions have changed to "Nemesis Unit Load Failed") or a similar problem.

In later versions, changes to files inside the Region folder were staged to the "current" folder during gameplay and then merged back into the Region folder when you saved - in 0.23, they are saved directly in-place, which is why killing the game (or crashing it) causes save corruption.

If this means you need to go back to the beginning of the year, I very strongly recommend that you do this, otherwise this succession game may meet an untimely end when the game consistently crashes at a particular event.

Another important thing to know: you cannot, under any circumstances, rename a region file/folder - if you try, it will continue to try loading files from (and saving files to) the original directory.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:02:39 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2016, 07:54:47 pm »

The newest .dat appears to be three days older than the save. Safe?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2016, 07:58:11 pm »

The newest .dat appears to be three days older than the save. Safe?
I'd say that's safe - if you haven't gotten any caravans since your last save (which seems likely at this point), then you should be okay.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2016, 04:08:09 pm »

(McBump)

KingMurdoc, you alive bro?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:28:04 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2016, 11:02:55 pm »

Yeah, was just a bit busier/more tired than I thought I would be. I'll try to marathon the rest of the turn tomorrow.
GM of Trespassers V2.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2016, 11:09:24 pm »

Its all right, thanks for letting me know!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2016, 11:18:34 pm »

PHEW

So the unicorns will kill us, or the river, or the goblins. Maybe even our own dwarves.

BUT NEVER WILL HARDWARE BRING US DOWN!

(see "anti-inspirational speech that was intended to be inspirational, like Elan's speech to the gladiator-watchers")
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2016, 11:26:49 pm »

I'll have to fiddle with the init settings (and WINE settings) a bit before I play next, anyway. That glitch can only be described as "catastrophic."

EDIT: There's no way to enable autosaving...

EDIT 2: Fuck it, I'll get some work done tonight.

I swear to Armok I will end them all. They managed to take out another carpenter as well as a second dog.

I have a plan, though. For now I've attempted to have a line of cage traps set. Wood is scarce, so I'm trying to muddy another area to facilitate the growth of giant mushrooms.

There are channels waiting to be dug, don't worry.

WELL MAYBE IF YOU WEREN'T SO GODDAMN PICKY

I'm not entirely certain how that works. Isn't a trance a sort of. . .calm? Either way, doesn't matter. I would have taken a picture of the body but he was actually ripped to shreds by a child and a few dogs.

A few days pass, not much happens other than a trapper getting killed by a unicorn and getting offices set up for the nobles, finally.

Honestly, this is your fault. You channeled underneath yourself, then instead of moving a few feet south to safety, you swam out into the river?

I've ordered some crafts to be made of the skeletons of the unicorns we've been collecting. Fucking things have to be worth something. Unicorn bone decorations on everything. Decorated unicorn bone bolts, let's do this.

That child that went insane earlier died of thirst. Our masons are lazy as hell so we don't have a coffin. Fantastic. To resolve the issue of low productivity, I order two more mason's shops built just below the current one. As I do so, summer arrives. I'm sure another swarm of sword-headed monsters will arrive with it. I should point out that we still have two named unicorns running about outside.

Work on the anti-unicorn project is progressing slowly but steadily. The river has begun flooding again, hopefully no one manages to get caught in it.

Evidently the magma river branches. Interesting. This will actually speed up the project somewhat.

We got some visitors right in the middle of Hematite.

They said they couldn't get their wagons over here, though. Odd. I'll resolve that issue for autumn. Evidently they weren't the only ones interested in the fortress wealth, however, as a kobold showed up and was promptly ripped to shreds by the dogs.

All the humans brought was meat, but I figure more food can't hurt. I offer them a few diamonds for the lot and off they go.

D'aww.

In other news, the lack of unicorn-based violence is actually starting to worry me. It's like they're planning something. Watching, waiting for the right moment to strike.

Or not. Or maybe this is just to throw me off...

Instead of building that component of Project "Fast Unicorn Cleaning/Killing Underground Natural Igneous Creation Offering Rapid aNnihilation of Suffering" or F.U.C.K.U.N.I.C.O.R.N.S, Gwolfski has decided to throw a party.

Do you -like- unicorns?

It's now midsummer, nothing much going on until

Oh come on, we haven't committed any crimes! Not even crimes against nature! Hell, nature has committed more crimes against US.
The would-be ambusher gets punked by the miner he attacked, getting stunned and letting the guy get away. He tried to follow and got rocks dropped on his head for his trouble.

Thanks, to whoever built those.

I've been working on actually getting coffins into the catacombs. It's rather alarming, really, the fact that every coffin made is immediately used.

Bastards won't even let us bury the dead.

Summer turns into autumn without much happening. Some farmer got gored by a unicorn but he'll be fine, and we caught a giant mole. Not really sure what to do with the thing, but hey.

A naked mole dog took a chunk out of jwoodward's leg. Kinda scared me because he's our best miner, but maybe he deserved it for not building anti-unicorn defenses as overseer.

You know, sometimes I wonder why we stuff ourselves into caves, breathing this musty, dank air, our eyes adjusting to the darkness so much that sunlight is enough to nauseate, dealing with the horrors of the deep, instead of living freely on the surface.

And then I remember that nature fucking hates our guts.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 09:39:18 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2016, 08:22:33 am »

You know, sometimes I wonder why we stuff ourselves into caves, breathing this musty, dank air, our eyes adjusting to the darkness so much that sunlight is enough to nauseate, dealing with the horrors of the deep, instead of living freely on the surface.

Welp, I think we've found our summary for this fortress. :P
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2016, 08:36:32 am »

Welp, I think we've found our summary for this fortress. :P

Hahaha I concur, this says it all
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2016, 08:46:50 am »

Yes.  Yes.  ALL THE YES.

Also sigging that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2016, 01:28:48 pm »

RINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!! We have our first quote for the quote bank!

Also, this is so perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better fortress.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:32:45 pm by DolosusDoleus »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2016, 03:23:21 pm »

firing up the save again.

We're very low on booze and somehow we have no barrels left. I'm hoping that processing the pig tails laying around will free up a couple while I have the carpenter make a few. Failing that, the caravan should be here soon, and with it sweet, sweet booze.

New season, same problems.

I don't really know what to do with the ones we've captured. Surely someone can train them, but I'm tempted to sacrifice them to the mountain.

Our two militiadwarves finally had a sparring match, though one of them was clumsy enough to draw blood. I guess the "Mistress" didn't realize that it was unnecessary to stand in the fortress entrance for an entire season.

The caravan finally arrives, hopefully they've got an anvil. I forgot to mention earlier, another metalsmith withdrew from society but smelting is slow since the people bloody responsible keep going insane.

Let's also hope they don't get brutally murdered by unicorns.

I'm starting to think caravans are cursed. They always arrive as soon as the cave river floods, not that the flood does much more than muddy the floors.

Aaaand all they brought was meat and a little cloth. Thanks, yeah, super helpful. Fantastic.

That unicorn we caught a while ago was giving me the most murderous look. . .

That magma river is starting to look awfully tempting.

Despite the best efforts of booze deprivation, unicorn maulings, and an overly curious alligator, we finally finished the road.

Hopefully next year's trading will be more profitable.

Dude, maybe you should settle for what we have to work with instead of yelling for a magma forge.

Other than that, the month was fairly uneventful. I mostly just yell at people to do their jobs instead of hauling rocks everywhere.

And immediately upon me writing that. . .

And they're right in the path of the merchants leaving. I hope the mountainhome understands when the caravan doesn't come back. I can't watch...

There's a dead guard over there, got perforated.

Just after the caravan escapes, some migrants step over the guard's corpse.

Which is good because we just lost another dwarf to the unicorns.

The remainder of autumn, thankfully, passes uneventfully. Project FUCKUNICORNS has been designed in entirety and dug out for most of its length. I will leave instructions on how to operate it on the end of this journal.

A hunter finally brought in that alligator. Sad that we couldn't lure it into a trap somehow, but hey, more meat.

That metalsmith with the ironic name finally starved. I guess gibbering madly does require some sort of energy. In his memory, however, I've also begun work on a smaller project.

Once this is finished, it should resolve the problems of both wood shortage and metalsmith shortage. (You picky fucks.)

Rejoice!

The dry spell ends! This should kick productivity back into gear.

Evidently the smell of booze attracted the kobolds. Two of them showed up and were scared off by the dogs, though they've yet to actually kill or be killed by them.

Midwinter rolls around and the farm plots dry up. More unicorns chase people around but no one's dead yet. FUCKUNICORNS is getting closer to completion every week, though I fear the next overseer may have to complete it.

The smiths are now telling me that magma forges require flowing magma. I am telling them that this is unreasonable. They are telling me that you cannot reason with the laws of physics. I would beg to differ but that would be rather meta.

Other than that, nothing much happens over the last part of winter other than the usual random unicorn maulings, though no one has died yet. However, I believe that soon - maybe not within the small remaining portion of my stint as overseer, but soon - our unicorn troubles will be over.

We lose another to the horned devils.

But I'll show them. I'll show them ALL.

We also celebrated the King of Monkeys's twelfth birthday. Now he can actually be useful.

I kind of wonder what visitors think when they see the entrance.

"Welcome to Boarpaints! Oh, no, ignore the gory mess all over the gate, it's perfectly safe here with zero chance of unicorn-assisted forcible ventilation or gibbering insanity."

SIGH

IT WORKS!
(Imagine this with magma instead of tentacles, and unicorns instead of Servants.)
...or a metalsmith.

Sorry, mate. You probably should have listened when I told everyone to get inside.
OH FUCK

ABORT ABORT ABORT
WHY DID THE FRONT GATE MELT
FUCKFUCKFUCK

AND AFTER ALL THIS

THEY'RE STILL FUCKING ALIVE

save is here
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 11:01:07 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44