Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 114473 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (A Succession Game... in v0.23a???)
« Reply #225 on: April 12, 2016, 05:49:51 pm »

No comment on the charred surface? Or has that grown back already?

Only wish to comment on stuff dwarves would find unusual.

Entry 2.
Expedition Commander Zanzetkuken III, Year 1057 Overseer of Boarpaints.
Felsite 01, 1057.
Early Spring.

I am leading a pack of complete and utter idiots.  Despite orders to not enter the fortress through the main gate, I have lost two dwarves, and nearly more, to the absolute most idiotic of reasons.  Dolosus III was lost when they decided to attempt to dig a tunnel through from the other side, inside the fortress, and Zas was lost when they went into the fort to...I can't even comprehend it.  Cleaning bloodstains?  What the fuck.  What's worse is that another dwarf tried to do the same thing, another ran into the fort to catch fish and then went back in multiple times to get the fish he caught after being scared of an Antman.  Who sent these people!?  At very least, Dolosus IV is not displaying the same level of reckless intellect as his brother.

It should be noted that the incursions of these individuals did actually bring something fruitful.  A collection of the logs of the prior overseers, such as they were, had been gathered.  Interestingly, quite a few mentions of unicorns plaguing the fortress have been mentioned.  While there was a close encounter early on, Mr. Frog II has quite frequently been driving them away past that point.  In fact, when he had temporarily passed out in the woods, none even bothered to come anywhere close to him.  I do not know the reasons they fear him, but I do enjoy the results.  I do not know if it is notable that he is a 'down-state' individual like myself, but considering the lack of information upon the meaning of this, I feel it should be noted.

With the above developments, I have decided to take a different route than retaking the old fortress.  The tunnel is to be expanded into an operations base to prepare for breaching the old fortress.  The old will be sealed up for the time being and caravans will be redirected south to the operations area.

No concrete information has been gathered from the individuals from 'up-state'.  The logs seemed to indicate that some dwarves from 'up-state' have managed to migrate from time to time.  May be possible to get more information from them at a later time.  A surviving entry from the first overseer is to be added upon the next page does hold a fair amount of information of the initial arrival, and I advise any 'down-state' individuals to read the account.  It may help the decisions you make.

Account I am referring to is the entries in the OP's Prologue.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:51:37 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2016, 02:20:44 pm »

Damn, I'm loving your updates so far Zanzetkuken. Great job.

I'm just wondering, what is the plan so far to reclaim the Majority of Boarpaints? Because there are going to be some nasties in there.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 13, 2016, 03:35:16 pm »

I'm just wondering, what is the plan so far to reclaim the Majority of Boarpaints? Because there are going to be some nasties in there.

I'm not planning to dive into the old fort on my turn.  I'm focusing on creating the launching off point and securing the road from the new area to the map edge.  Current plan for the latter is to build a channel, possibly filled with magma but I am not going to risk that on my turn, outside a line of raised bridges.  If it is possible to do so without disrupting the ability for wagons to path, I'll be using further bridges as a series of locks, so specific portions can be raised and lowered.  Similar locks are likely to be established along the chasm and magma river, if I get to those sections, so we can have sections sealed off to prevent another fortress collapse.  I know for certain I will be establishing a lock from the new into the old fort definitely be established for scouting/scavenging/reclamation efforts.  Admittedly, I probably won't be able to do all of this in my turn, but I felt I might as well write up what my plans were.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Onyx Discforge

• Bay Watcher
  • [Greg cancels fight FPS: Went insane]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 13, 2016, 04:00:28 pm »

Just prodding this to ask if I have been dwarfed yet.  Also, once we end up returning to the old fort, I volunteer him/her as the suicide scouting party to act as a meatshield see if any unicorns are left.
Don't let past-you pick a username present-you won't like.

Some forts of mine: Snakepit (and Stakepet)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2016, 08:23:41 pm »

I'm not planning to dive into the old fort on my turn.  I'm focusing on creating the launching off point and securing the road from the new area to the map edge.  Current plan for the latter is to build a channel, possibly filled with magma but I am not going to risk that on my turn, outside a line of raised bridges.  If it is possible to do so without disrupting the ability for wagons to path, I'll be using further bridges as a series of locks, so specific portions can be raised and lowered.  Similar locks are likely to be established along the chasm and magma river, if I get to those sections, so we can have sections sealed off to prevent another fortress collapse.  I know for certain I will be establishing a lock from the new into the old fort definitely be established for scouting/scavenging/reclamation efforts.  Admittedly, I probably won't be able to do all of this in my turn, but I felt I might as well write up what my plans were.

I like it! The only problem I see is the bit with the wagons, because as far as I can tell the trade depot absolutely HAS to be outside the fortress for wagons to path to it, because you can't build roads inside. This means that there will be no way to properly defend hooman traders.

However, there is still the chance that Quietust will pop up again and prove me wrong. So just keep doing what you're doing.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 14, 2016, 12:05:30 am »

Dwarf me as Taupe II, weaponfightdwarf person.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2016, 12:09:53 am »

Just prodding this to ask if I have been dwarfed yet.  Also, once we end up returning to the old fort, I volunteer him/her as the suicide scouting party to act as a meatshield see if any unicorns are left.
Dwarf me as Taupe II, weaponfightdwarf person.

Actually went through the entire lists of deceased individuals and redwarfed everyone I found.  It's just at this point, nothing really noticable has been done yet for a majority.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 14, 2016, 12:26:28 am »

Well done in that case. Also WHAT THE FUCK did the fortress seriously die in three turns and a half...??

''Taupe has slain a unicorn''
-Oh that's nice, im looking foward to...
''nevermind, lost the progress''
-Oh that's sad but i'll get another chance to...
''Oh fuck the unicorns are on a rampage''
-Now's my chance to prove my wor--
''The fortress melted WELP''
-Hum, maybe I survived, better ask for a new dwarf just in ca--
''Oh fuck DEMONS''

Truth be said, for a fortress thats technically in 2d, shit escalated fucking quickly.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #233 on: April 14, 2016, 12:33:28 am »

wagons can path inside, original fort had the depot indoors
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

EoyaBosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 14, 2016, 08:09:14 am »

Not to rain on your parade, but I independently had a go at reclaiming the fortress continuing from my save, and you can easily clear out the whole fortress with the 28 dwarves you start with. The only reason I mention this is because I'm still a little guilty about ending the fortress and I'd rather see it back on track as soon as possible. Otherwise, the plan about making staggered locks actually sounds like a good idea; I tried to do something similar but couldn't get anything constructed before the demons arrived.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 16, 2016, 09:58:54 am »

(Bump)

Hey Zanzetkuken, how's progress?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 17, 2016, 09:19:32 am »

(Bump)

Sadly, my life has gotten so busy I can't really continue with my turn.  Want me to upload what I have so far, or...?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #237 on: April 17, 2016, 09:21:20 am »

(Bump)

Sadly, my life has gotten so busy I can't really continue with my turn.  Want me to upload what I have so far, or...?

Upload the save so far is the best option, and let the next player play through a year's worth of the game
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 17, 2016, 09:44:27 am »

(Bump)

Upload the save so far is the best option, and let the next player play through a year's worth of the game

^^ This.

Gwolf, would you like to play through the rest of Zanzet's turn and your year, or just the rest of Zanzet's year? Your choice.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 17, 2016, 12:25:42 pm »

Entry 3.
Expedition Commander Zanzetkuken III, Year 1057 Overseer of Boarpaints.
Felsite 01, 1057.
Early Spring.

There is some growing conflict over the questions I am making.  As a result, I have decided to step down.  An individual by the name of Gwolfski III will be taking my place.  He's a veteran from one of the squads I had brought with me, so he is innately trustworthy to the individuals that came with us.  As for the upstaters, he's spoken with a few of them when on duty, so he's developed a level of trust with them as well.  Hopefully he turns out to be a capable overseer as well.

Save

Installed one lever in the center of what I consider as being the new main dining hall that links up to the drawbridge of the old fort.  Was going to use it to seal off the main entrance while I tunneled through either from the 3 wide tunnel that is designated upwards near the river, or up through the old crypts that I mistook for bedrooms.  Former would be better as it would be easier to make locks.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 44