Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 115876 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (A Succession Game... in v0.23a???)
« Reply #270 on: April 30, 2016, 08:06:31 pm »

So I finally got caught up on this, and holy crap. Only four years in, and y'all have already not only killed the fortress, but subsequently had to use it as an impromptu oubliette for a demon horde while moving operations to a secondary fort? You guys work fast. I'm impressed.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 01, 2016, 12:05:13 am »

Sooo, anyone got any ideas for the unicorn/demon problems that will inevitably spring up?
Unicorns will keep coming back, but you will never get more than 10 demons in a single fortress, and I believe that persists across reclaims.

This is a bit late, but there are 9 dead demons in the units list. That leaves only one demon still at large. The GCS squatting in the Old Fortress is a far greater problem.

From the journal of Arcvasti III, Reluctant Overseer:

21st Galena:

Things are going smoothly. I've had a barracks set up in the path from the New Fortress proper to the river. Whether or not the jeweler's blatherings about invaders from the soggy depths bear fruit, its still a natural choke point at a reasonable central location of the New Fortress.

28th Galena:

The soldiers are sparring. Good. They'll need to become stronger before they can even think of facing the Giant Cave Spider or whatever horrors destroyed this place in the first place. Not all of us can be so lucky as to be granted unresisting victims like I was. Or am, I suppose. Stone doesn't put up much of a fight. Just sort of sits there. Bedrooms are intensifying and some of them even have doors now. I've been brewing up what I would call a respectable amount of liquor. It'd be nice to have a proper brewer so I could go back to mining, but whatever.

3rd Limestone:

Moony the Human III managed to get his leg bopped a good one. If it wasn't having such good results, I'd be tempted to shut down the sparring.

4th Limestone:

After only a little rest, Moony the Human III is back on his feet again. And a horse gave birth to some foals. Now that the river's properly trapped, I have the jeweler working on some way to retract the river bridge in case of invasion. Perhaps once we've moved deeper into the mountain, we can use it as a sort of moat? In any case, me and the rest of the miners are working on digging out some proper workshop spaces past the river, for once we have enough people to start working on the cloth and leather industries.

10th Limestone:

The dwarven caravan has arrived. I have everyone start hauling over trader junk from the Old Depot's location. Its a disappointingly small thing, with only a few lightly laden mules. But I guess the Mountainhomes didn't want to risk an actual caravan on the off chance that we'd survive reclaiming this nightmare.

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #272 on: May 01, 2016, 07:27:59 am »

do not kill the final demon...
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 01, 2016, 08:33:06 am »

...unless its a spirit of fire. Then it will fuck us into oblivion.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:09:12 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 01, 2016, 08:18:06 pm »

Exactly. We need someone to feed our sacrifices to, after all. :P
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 02, 2016, 12:13:27 pm »

Oh come on, we haven't committed any crimes! Not even crimes against nature! Hell, nature has committed more crimes against US.

I'm very late to the party, but sigged.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 03, 2016, 09:04:04 pm »

From the journal of Arcvasti III, Reluctent Overseer:

18th Limestone:

The merchants have finally arrived at the depot. We've got lots of stone and unicorn bone crafts left from this place's previous inhabitants, so I doubt we'll have any trouble buying our their paltry stock of goods.

Also, there are baby horses everywhere. I have them shoved in the cage with all the mules. Good thing equines compress so well, since there's getting to be a lot of them in that little cage.

19th Limestone:

I go over and get to haggling. Or, at least, trading. I end up trading all the crafts we ended up hauling for some plump helmets and some overpriced cheese. I'm no broker, but I can see that we're getting ripped off here. According to the merchants, our exploits in reclaiming the great lost fortress of Boarpaints have reached legendary proportions. There are songs about us. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this.

5th Sandstone:

Today is an important day. We finally have enough beds for everyone to sleep comfortably. Not that we aren't still expanding the apartmentcombs to accommodate new corpses/immigrants. Things are mostly just plugging away. The fort seems stable. It could probably survive just fine without me at this point. Once winter sets in, I'll start work on my final plan to get rid of the chasm creatures...

9th Sandstone:

Me and the other miners dig out some more workshop space across the river. We'll have everything we'll ever need for the textile over there once we get more hands to ply that particular trade.
Spooky Signature

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 03, 2016, 09:50:06 pm »

I have to thank you again Arcvasti, for being a trooper and agreeing to pick up two years of v0.23a-unicorn disaster. You rock.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 03, 2016, 10:11:48 pm »

I have to thank you again Arcvasti, for being a trooper and agreeing to pick up two years of v0.23a-unicorn disaster. You rock.

Honestly, the real danger here is FPS. The fort's been downright boring so far, minus the metalsmith getting knocked around and the initial disaster with the GCS. Plus my potato runs the fort pretty slowly. Each update takes like 2-3 hours of playtime.
Spooky Signature

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2016, 11:49:26 pm »

Honestly, the real danger here is FPS. The fort's been downright boring so far, minus the metalsmith getting knocked around and the initial disaster with the GCS. Plus my potato runs the fort pretty slowly. Each update takes like 2-3 hours of playtime.

This was a problem with a 23a fort I played in a while ago, as well. 23a's general game flow seems to consist of long periods of nothing happening punctuated by occasional bursts of pure unfettered mayhem.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #280 on: May 04, 2016, 01:35:46 am »

This was a problem with a 23a fort I played in a while ago, as well. 23a's general game flow seems to consist of long periods of nothing happening punctuated by occasional bursts of pure unfettered mayhem.
Isn't that DF in general?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 04, 2016, 01:31:59 pm »

Isn't that DF in general?

Sort of, but to my mind the newer versions kinda balance it out a bit better; there's more stuff to mess around with during downtime, and crises are generally easier to avert and hit less hard when they do occur.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 06, 2016, 12:00:07 am »

No update today, unfortunately. More then vaguely busy on this end. I'll try and get one out either tomorrow evening or Saturday morning. Next few updates will most likely be larger since I'd like to finish this up before the Crawl tournament starts in earnest.

EDIT:

I think I'll hold off on screenshots until the last update. Probably make a pseudo map-guide for the next Overseer so they don't destroy the fort[again] by pulling the wrong lever or something.
Spooky Signature

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 06, 2016, 04:18:00 pm »

Nice job. Keep up the good work!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #284 on: May 06, 2016, 05:35:08 pm »

Hey, the fort was recovering when I left it.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 44