Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 115650 times)

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (A Succession Game... in v0.23a???)
« Reply #375 on: June 13, 2016, 09:15:21 am »

Can confirm, there was no visible candy.

We've dug to the eerie pits, or whatever they're called in this version, but not past them.
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

kleanea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 15, 2016, 12:57:11 am »

I finished my turn! Here's the save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12145.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to start the economy, because I didn't make enough goods (I didn't even realize there was a minimum you had to meet, since I've never had such an unproductive fortress before :P). But there are enough rooms now, most of the nobles are happy, we *should* have enough food and alcohol for the winter, our defenses are now mediocre instead of non-existent, and after producing about 100 coffins the fort is making progress on memorializing all its dead...

I'll post a short summary of what happened on my turn tomorrow.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #377 on: June 15, 2016, 03:45:22 am »

I finished my turn! Here's the save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12145.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to start the economy, because I didn't make enough goods (I didn't even realize there was a minimum you had to meet, since I've never had such an unproductive fortress before :P). But there are enough rooms now, most of the nobles are happy, we *should* have enough food and alcohol for the winter, our defenses are now mediocre instead of non-existent, and after producing about 100 coffins the fort is making progress on memorializing all its dead...

I'll post a short summary of what happened on my turn tomorrow.

I am wondering how long it will take for people to realize there are no ghosts in this version and the chasm makes a nice mass grave.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #378 on: June 15, 2016, 06:34:04 am »

Unfortunately I wasn't able to start the economy, because I didn't make enough goods (I didn't even realize there was a minimum you had to meet, since I've never had such an unproductive fortress before :P).
All you need to start the Economy right now is the Bookkeeper (the Manager is already there), and in order to get the Bookkeeper you need 5000☼ of created wealth (which you probably have) as well as 5 stacks of coins (of any type - copper/silver/gold will be used for currency, while other metals will just be collector's items).

Do note that the Bookkeeper will constantly mandate production of new coins. Unless you want the fortress to experience rapid FPS death, ignore these mandates - there is no punishment for failing to complete them, aside from the Bookkeeper becoming mildly unhappy.

[edit]

Also, I see a floodgate near the entrance by some water channels, plus a lever that has yet to be built. Do NOT connect and trigger that lever, because it will flood the entire fortress (read the wiki article on 23a Floodgates if you don't understand how they work).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:42:50 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

kleanea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 15, 2016, 08:55:19 am »

I am wondering how long it will take for people to realize there are no ghosts in this version and the chasm makes a nice mass grave.
I just like there being a visible representation of the absurd number of deaths we've had.

All you need to start the Economy right now is the Bookkeeper (the Manager is already there), and in order to get the Bookkeeper you need 5000☼ of created wealth (which you probably have) as well as 5 stacks of coins (of any type - copper/silver/gold will be used for currency, while other metals will just be collector's items).
I minted 5 stacks of coins to try to get the bookkeeper, but the fortress only had ~3000☼ of created wealth during the last migrant wave.

Also, I see a floodgate near the entrance by some water channels, plus a lever that has yet to be built. Do NOT connect and trigger that lever, because it will flood the entire fortress (read the wiki article on 23a Floodgates if you don't understand how they work).
In my defense, that floodgate was originally built behind a wall... then I mined out the wall because I am a genius.
EDIT: Just channeling the space directly under the floodgate should make it safe, right?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:59:25 am by kleanea »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #380 on: June 15, 2016, 06:51:31 pm »

EDIT: Just channeling the space directly under the floodgate should make it safe, right?
I assume you mean setting it up like this, in which case it should probably be okay:
Code: [Select]
###
_X_
._.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

kleanea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 15, 2016, 11:43:18 pm »

In a rare display of mercy, the unicorns only beat poor Ducim *mostly* to death.

I expanded the farming area, and put some stockpiles nearby for more efficiency. The fortress hovered near starvation/soberness for much of my first two seasons of play. The horse herd was culled significantly to deal with this (I killed mostly males though so there shouldn't be much long term population damage).

I completely redid everyone's skills, redid every profession name, and shortened a few nicknames (Though really, I should have just set it so nicknames replace the entire name. I forgot you could do this until just now). This finally fixed the food and alcohol shortage problems, as the fort now has 17 dedicated farming(fields) dwarves, and a dedicated brewer. There aren't any more issues with untrained masons and carpenters turning out poor quality goods, either. Also, every dwarf with military skills was put in the military and activated. Whoever takes over the fort will have to micromanage the planters' skills during winter (or just let them party for four months!)
Here's what the rest of the relevant sections of the unit list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I made a jail, so the sheriff can dispense justice.

The dwarven caravan got attacked by unicorns and ran off the map. I traded a few falling apart garments for all of the elves' goods. The humans had a higher price in discarded clothes, but it was pretty easy to buy them out too.

I expanded the noble apartments area, and assigned rooms, so the nobles are mostly happy now.

I started running out of places to put coffins after the first several dozen.

The new entrance. Pull up one or both draw bridges to force invaders through either the trap tunnel, or, if they can destroy buildings, the magma weapon. I was in the process of building a new road so merchants have a slightly shorter path. Ideally, the new road will be lined by channels so merchants don't get killed by unicorns.

I also slightly expanded the magma smelter/furnace area. On the whole, though, the fortress is still a giant disorganized mess.
Here's the full map: (direct link: http://i.imgur.com/g5iyRgL.png)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:58:28 pm by kleanea »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #382 on: June 16, 2016, 04:39:48 pm »

Could you drain the outer moat? That is for containing magma from the magma weapon.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 16, 2016, 05:37:33 pm »

Oh hey, the turn is over. I leave for a couple days... and suddenly people actually start to do their turns!

Is this some sort of magical dream?

Anyways, sending a PM to Vuohijulama
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

kleanea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 16, 2016, 10:48:14 pm »

Could you drain the outer moat? That is for containing magma from the magma weapon.
The outer moat is drainable (use the lever directly north of the first bridge into the fortress). Though the part of the moat that goes under that bridge isn't drainable. Shouldn't full channels and empty channels contain magma just as well? I'm not very familiar with magma mechanics in this version (I tend to stick to flooding the world with water...  ::)).

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 16, 2016, 11:04:33 pm »

The outer moat is drainable (use the lever directly north of the first bridge into the fortress). Though the part of the moat that goes under that bridge isn't drainable. Shouldn't full channels and empty channels contain magma just as well? I'm not very familiar with magma mechanics in this version (I tend to stick to flooding the world with water...  ::)).

I'm pretty sure that in this version, magma is basically water that sets stuff on fire.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #386 on: June 17, 2016, 02:46:13 am »

You know, magma is just like water that wets stuff on fire. As much as a rock and a pile of ice. Tho it works similarly

Wtf did I just wright? Too early in the morning for me
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 17, 2016, 04:09:15 am »

Alrighty, me again. This time I might make it. I'm going to have a busy weekend, but I should be able to start my turn after it.

So the version is 0.23.130.23a? I remember there was some talk of a user-made patch also.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 17, 2016, 07:26:51 am »

Alrighty, me again. This time I might make it. I'm going to have a busy weekend, but I should be able to start my turn after it.

So the version is 0.23.130.23a? I remember there was some talk of a user-made patch also.

Precisely so. The link to the patch can be found at the bottom of the OP.

kleanea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 17, 2016, 08:44:12 am »

Precisely so. The link to the patch can be found at the bottom of the OP.

I just realized I forgot about the patch. All that statue related misery could have been avoided.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44