Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 115643 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (A Succession Game... in v0.23a???)
« Reply #420 on: July 01, 2016, 10:19:38 am »

just magma-ize the unicorns, simple
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 02, 2016, 10:53:07 am »

Lock the hammerer up, along with the other nobles. Problem solved.
Well, it would give the nobles a taste of their of medicine.

And yeah, there were (and propably still are) many things in 0.23 I wasn't aware of. But doing the turn was quite fun, even though it was a bit uneventful. I'll propably volunteer for a second turn at some point. I'm also tempted to start my own 0.23 fortress. These early versions seem to have quite a lot of cool things and interesting mechanics which were removed afterwards.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #422 on: July 03, 2016, 12:11:54 am »

The downside to 23a is that "bored now", at least in my case, became a serious issue over time. Make sure you use one of the bugfixed EXEs, and I recommend a military or traps before going past the cave river. The chasm can be rather deadly

Also note that a migrant will come with an anvil the first summer. That tripped me up the first time I played 23a.

You might also want to dig out 40d, which still has a good number of the original 23a mechanics, but adds biomes and 3D, but still had the economy and immigrant nobles (with the exception that the manager/bookkeeper could be appointed).
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 03, 2016, 07:32:00 am »

The downside to 23a is that "bored now", at least in my case, became a serious issue over time. Make sure you use one of the bugfixed EXEs, and I recommend a military or traps before going past the cave river. The chasm can be rather deadly

Also note that a migrant will come with an anvil the first summer. That tripped me up the first time I played 23a.

You might also want to dig out 40d, which still has a good number of the original 23a mechanics, but adds biomes and 3D, but still had the economy and immigrant nobles (with the exception that the manager/bookkeeper could be appointed).

I do admit, 40d might have been a better choice for a community fort. If I end up making Throwback Fortress 2, it'll be in 40d.

Anyways, TheImmortalRyukan hasn't responded, so the save is being passed on to snow dwarf.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 03, 2016, 09:15:07 am »

I'm Here!!! So what kind of !!FUN!! have you had when I wasn't here?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 04, 2016, 03:31:26 am »

Sorry guys, this week will be a lot of studying for me and dwarf fortress isn't helping with learning Chinese (Yep, live in China). Can't play this week.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 04, 2016, 06:18:10 pm »

dwarf fortress isn't helping with learning Chinese

just make a tileset with chinese characters instead of ASCII ones

fun AND educational
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #427 on: July 04, 2016, 09:54:38 pm »

Looks like im next. Oh boy!
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 04, 2016, 10:46:24 pm »

Looks like im next. Oh boy!

Fortunately, this fortress already has a device specifically for burning everything, which I imagine makes your job significantly easier.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #429 on: July 04, 2016, 11:42:01 pm »

I feel an urge to dismantle the FTW device in favor of a properly trained military. And the need to avoid making more dwarfite

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 04, 2016, 11:47:05 pm »

dwarf fortress isn't helping with learning Chinese

just make a tileset with chinese characters instead of ASCII ones

fun AND educational
Huh, A tileset with 50000 tiles......

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #431 on: July 05, 2016, 02:23:02 am »

Holy cow. I just peaked into the save and ...

Nothing is in a sane or logical place. Workshops are just kinda "there", and even the rooms menu isn't helping. The military is not setup to train properly (they have to be "standing down", not on duty), we haven't even gotten close to noble insanity yet, and I feel like I'm sitting on a magma powered bomb moments before detention.

0. I forgot how bad the 23a controls were
1. Why does everyone have strange professions?
2. We have stupid amounts of tin, tin ore, and nothing of *useful* metals
3. Still need more coins to get the DM

EDIT: Update iwll come tomorrow

EDIT: Why is it autumn in the save? I"m going to play out until the following spring to get us back to spring-to-spring
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 04:52:25 am by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #432 on: July 05, 2016, 12:34:36 pm »

Overseers Log - Dustiklogem
Captain of the Guard 'NCommander' Reporting
---

After the tenure of the last overseer, Vuohijumala, the nobles were outraged over the state of the fortress. Theirs mandates were being left until the very last moment before being fulfilled, and several of us were lacking offices of sufficient stature to our positions. The position of overseer has fallen to me to bring Boarpaints in line with other outposts of the crown, especially due to the discovery of Adamanite.

My goals is to bring Boarpaints up to the finest standards of dwarven civilization. At a minimium, we can expect a baron and dungeon master to come within the next year, and there are rumors that the king intends to make this his new capital. As such everything must be perfect.

The first thing is to deal with getting quarters situated immediately.

That will allow me to properly manage fortress afairs. I've also had the representative's quarters to House Ber engraved as well.

Looking at our metal stocks, we have a whole lot of tin ore, and not much else. For a fortress of over 100 dwarfs, our entire metal operation is small and rather pathetic. If we're going to attract a dungeon master, we need MORE COINS.

If we truly intend to be a mountainhome however, we need the finest army known to dwarfkind. They need to be clad in the finest steel in existence. As such, We also need MORE ARMOR, MORE WEAPONS and MORE METAL

As such, I've had new areas along the magma river dug out for smelters.

As they dig, I also send a bunch of dwarfs out to go chop wood to be used in our steel industry.

Of course, to build le grande armies, we need a way to feed them. We need the most noble of the dwarven foodstuffs. The rare and LEGENDARY DWARVEN CHEESE.

We have a few trappers to catch the maggots we need, and a kennels is ordered to support them.

I look forward to our cheesy future.

OOC: Yes, my entire plan is to make dwarf cheese, something that's only hard in 23a vs borderline impossible in later versions. Preferably from maggots and not dwarfite.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:36:27 pm by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #433 on: July 05, 2016, 01:21:35 pm »

So I just tried to pull the FTW lever .. and I think a tree grew up to blow the magma flow ... I might be the end of this fortress already ...

EDIT: And I can't find a way to seal the place up

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 05, 2016, 01:24:54 pm »

It'd be great if you managed to ravage this fortress by not burning everything. It'd be a beautiful sort of balance.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44