Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 114483 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (A Succession Game... in v0.23a???)
« Reply #435 on: July 05, 2016, 01:52:52 pm »

It'd be great if you managed to ravage this fortress by not burning everything. It'd be a beautiful sort of balance.

Too late.

A spirit of fire appeared outside, and the fort is on fire ...

So many !!unicorns!! ...

EDIT: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2776-unicorns - this time I remembered to record a video of the place burning down.

EDIT 2: I managed to lead our military to victory: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2777-militaryvsdemon
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 02:07:15 pm by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #436 on: July 05, 2016, 02:32:29 pm »

Overseers Log - Dustiklogem
Captain of the Guard 'NCommander' Reporting
Mid-Autumn
---

With our military properly stood down, they are quickly training to become champions. My mining efforts already have uncovered a large vein of iron for us to smelt down into bars

A review of our existing forges show they're incredibly cluttered and slowing down productivity. I have torn one down and replaced it with a glass furnace, with the hope of making some vials. I feel an urge to invoke an alchemist via the creation of soap ...

As constructions procedes, I've realized that even if I succeed in creating cheese, there is no place in the fortress to buy or sell anything! Without shops, our economy will collapse in upon itself and be rendered moot. As such, in the name of captialism, I here by designate the start of market square.

As I finish this first entry, we are starting work to capture those glorious maggots.

---

Inspired by our recent cheese efforts, the dwarfs come early to trade with us, managing to dodge the unicorn flock outside our main entrance. However, as they race in, I notice they're not alone.

---

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU SEAL THIS PLACE? WE NEED MAGMA! OUR MILITARY ISN'T WORTH SHIT YET!

---

As much as I appreicate nobles, I must say, this is not the time

I told him to get, and he got, amazingly missing both the unicorns and goblins.

---
Fine, PULL ALL THE LEVERS

As we pulled the basalt lever, there was a huge cluck, and the sound of magma moving. If I could just figure out how to seal the entrance, or at least get dwarfs away from it, we could incarcerate those goblins.

However, before I got that far, I found the magma had stopped ...

What?

DAMINATION! A tree is blocking the channel. A miner has to go in to clear the way!

My lever pulling has made progress. Almost all the entrances are closed except the door to the trade depot. Closer examination of the bridge shows not only does it lack mechanisms, it doesn't even show up on the lever menu! With the goblins quickly approaching, I order the squads to station near the main entrance behind the depot.

---

Some goblins fall into the outside channels and drown

A few military dwarfs were caught outside when I ordered everyone in. They were quickly fired for their stupidity, and their successors appointed!

---

Can't forget to trade for CHEESE!

---

Back to the battle.

Turns out the cavarn guards are more than a match for goblins. The day is saved. The smell is horrid!

---

Now that's taken care of, I've decided to have a new bridge installed and doors placed so if we pull the lever, we won't melt the fortress. A new, clearly marked lever will control the new depot bridge, made out of platinum to show the world we got money and we're not afraid to flaunt it!

(the lever is directly to the right of the bridge)

---

What?

WHAT?

HOW CAN IT BE A HORROR IN DEEP IF ITS OUTSIDE? HOW DID IT GET OUTSIDE?

---

So, I learned that unicorns burn well when the meadow is on fire.

At least having !!unicorns!! solves one problem.

I can't help but wonder if the demon is looking for a map to candy mountain ...

I need to see if we can deploy the magma melter. After all, you should always fight fire with fire
---

Turned out it wasn't needed.

I've had a great mosaic installed in the dining room showing the roasting of the unicorns, and my brave efforts leading us to victory over it with our marksdwarfs!

The great unicorn roast: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2776-unicorns
Leading our military to victory: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2777-militaryvsdemon
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 05, 2016, 02:44:46 pm »

I would to be dwarfed as "Pikachu17" a swordsdwarf( haven't been reading too much of this, but it seems like you're mostly using marksdwarves. if there are no swordsdwarves, a marksdwarf will do). if Pikachu17 has a kid name it "Pichu18" then when it grows up, rename Pikachu18
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #438 on: July 05, 2016, 02:49:37 pm »

I would to be dwarfed as "Pikachu17" a swordsdwarf( haven't been reading too much of this, but it seems like you're mostly using marksdwarves. if there are no swordsdwarves, a marksdwarf will do). if Pikachu17 has a kid name it "Pichu18" then when it grows up, rename Pikachu18

So ... um ....

We only have 15 dwarfs left. I might have burnt the place down. Again.

I'm waiting to see if I killed the fort before writing the full update.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 02:54:21 pm by NCommander »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 05, 2016, 02:54:49 pm »

So ... um ....

We only have 15 dwarfs left. I might have burnt the place down. Again.

That does seem to be a thing with you.   :P

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #440 on: July 05, 2016, 03:10:33 pm »

So, dwarfs in 23a are really flammable.

NOTE: No magma was used in burning down the fort. As best I can happen, the spirit of fire lit one dwarf on fire, which lit another and well ... that's how you go from 110 dwarfs to 15 ...

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2778-fortressdeath-part1
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2779-fortressdeath-part2
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2780-fortressdeath-part3

I think I just topped Breadbowl ...

EDIT: Watching the video playback, what happened was dwarfs started hauling !!fire!! items, and well, a chain reaction followed.

EDIT 2: Sorry for the long pauses; I was taking screenshots as the world burned down.

9 remain.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 03:19:36 pm by NCommander »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 05, 2016, 03:20:10 pm »

If it dies again, should we move on to .40d, the remainder of the old list appended to the new fort?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #442 on: July 05, 2016, 03:25:01 pm »

I'm for that. The death count stabilized. We're at 6. Three are on permanent bed rest, one is in prison, and I have two planters that are tantrum. I'll do a hard save here.

Winter just arrived. I've destroyed this place in three months (PERSONAL BEST!). I'm debating if I want to try and salvage it, or go for the candy and "too deep" this fort. I can write a pretty good finale for this and its pretty hard to top a 104 body count in a turn.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #443 on: July 05, 2016, 04:02:38 pm »

Overseers Log - Dustiklogem
Captain of the Guard 'NCommander' Reporting
Final Entry
---

The day is won. The fields are on fire, but Boarpaints lives. Looking ahead, we need to get our marksdwarfs resupplied. While we have some iron bolts, I rather make sure our stocks are overflowing.

As our supply of metal hasn't recovered yet, I'm looking at what we do have ...

Although morbid, I do wonder if we can make dwarf bone bolts. I also keep smelling smoke ...

---

Smoke nothing!, We're got an armok fucking inferno! The idiots keep trying to haul in corpses from outside, despite them being ON FIRE. The idiot dwarf melts, usually setting off another dwarf in the process! I'm hiding in my office, but any moment, one of those idiots are going to come charging in and-

The rest of the page is burnt black ...

---
The writing on the wall. This engraving refers to the great fortress fire of 1061 in Boarpaints. The dwarf is melting. The stone is melting. I am melting

---

This is a burned masterwork engraving. It relates to the great fortress fire of 1061. On it is an image of a deer leather vest. The vest is on fire.

---

This is a burned masterwork engraving. It relates to the great fortress fire of 1061. On it is an image is  picture of a miasma. The miasma is on fire. On it is an image of six dwarfs. Barrels of booze are exploding. The image relates to the survivors of the great fortress fire of 1061.

---

!!fire!! + booze == bad

Here's the save after I burnt it down. I'm going for the candy. Prepare for the end. http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12229

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 05, 2016, 05:21:25 pm »

This has been one of my favorite succession games to follow. Godspeed NCommander.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #445 on: July 05, 2016, 05:23:48 pm »

How in the blazes does flooding the fort with magma end up with a LOWER death toll than this?
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #446 on: July 05, 2016, 06:45:34 pm »

So, dwarfs in 23a are really flammable.
I thought this was common knowledge, or at least to people who've read the saga of Boatmurdered.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #447 on: July 05, 2016, 07:44:35 pm »

How in the blazes does flooding the fort with magma end up with a LOWER death toll than this?

^- that has to go into the quote bank.

Dwarfs won't path through magma and on fire dwarfs have no problem going through doors. On 23a, a dwarf on fire doesn't appear to take any damage directly. They just ignite, and until they melt/sublime they can path to whatever they want until they go *poof*. It can best be described as dwarven sucide bombers. Rewatching the video, as best I can tell, what started the chain reaction, as best I can tell, is someone who was on fire went for the booze. That lit the booze stockpile on fire.

Everyone who went for a drink at the same then got on fire. Anyone who was recovered either was lit on fire, or lit their rescuer on fire.

I thought this was common knowledge, or at least to people who've read the saga of Boatmurdered.

Boatmurdered was the same fort where Sankis stood in the magma river for a season without melting. When it comes to fire and 23a, its like quantum uncertainty. You can't tell if you have a !!dwarf!! for sure until you look and collapse the waveform.

I'll be playing later tonight. My plan is to go for the candy, and play until I get "Too Deeped" by digging out as much as I can so in six months, the fortress suffers an existence failure.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #448 on: July 05, 2016, 08:23:07 pm »

My plan is to go for the candy, and play until I get "Too Deeped" by digging out as much as I can so in six months, the fortress suffers an existence failure.
Remember, fortresses that have been "Too Deeped" cannot be reclaimed, so if that's what you're planning to do, then you will be the very last overseer this fortress will ever see. Anything after that would only be in Adventurer mode, trying to slay the demon.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 06, 2016, 09:48:50 am »

Oh dum de dum de dum, hey guys I've been off the grid for a couple of days and I just wanted to...

*looks over thread*

What.

The.

Fuck.

Uhhh, you know what, I'm just gonna wait a few minutes before I properly react to what you people managed to do in 48 motherfucking hours.

You all make me so proud...
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44