Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 114491 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (A Succession Game... in v0.23a???)
« Reply #465 on: July 07, 2016, 07:11:22 am »

Oh dear. The king has to die, if boarpaints wants to live. We can carry on!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #466 on: July 07, 2016, 05:38:14 pm »

I'm not seeing a clear consensúe either way on the poll. Wish folks would post so I know what to do.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 08, 2016, 12:39:22 pm »

Okay, with the fluctuating state of the poll I've decided that, unless the vote changes by tomorrow, NCommander is gonna roll back his turn to the pre-crumble save. If anything, it'll give me a little more time to start compiling mods and such for throwback fortress 2.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 09, 2016, 02:44:52 pm »

Looks like a savescum NCommander. Time to boot up that pre-apocalypse save!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #469 on: July 09, 2016, 03:37:56 pm »

Looks like a savescum NCommander. Time to boot up that pre-apocalypse save!

Savescum approved. I'm going to have to use DFHack-23a to save it properly though to forbid the !!corpses!! which is what lead to the first death. Expectan update in 2-3 hours.

EDIT: I'm really tempted to DFHack in an additional z level or two to have a new catacombs. Must resist ...

EDIT 2: Both dwarfs I have that can work have been injuried and are resting. Goblins are milling outside. I can still save this, but it will be tricky.

EDIT 3: So while I can't actually do anything in game, time is passing, and the fires are burning out one by one. I'm just going to let it run until the siege ends on its own and continue from there. If it falls again, I'll savescum again and be far more agressive on saving it.

EDIT: 4: second savescum. Everyone died resting even though the idiots could move.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:39:49 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #470 on: July 09, 2016, 06:44:46 pm »

I need to play a bit more, but here's a summary of what I've been up to.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #471 on: July 09, 2016, 07:22:38 pm »

Here's a follow up image:

The fortress is nearly habitable again.

EDIT: I had to use FUCKUNICORNS (yes, I fixed it) to unflood the place. Here's what happens when you dump a shitton of magma on a shitton of water in 23a. Also units that die in a fire stay burning on the unit list. We have five or six pages of !!dead units!!, though all the fires are out. Finally.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2781-watervsmagma
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:52:20 pm by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #472 on: July 09, 2016, 08:48:18 pm »

This is a charred diary owned by Kol 'NCommander III' Uristlaven

Intro

My name is Kol, and I'm trapped in a loop. I can already hear you guys thinking I'm mad, but its true. I lived in Boarpaints, a somewhat OK place to live. At least, right up until everyone died, but I'll get to that in a moment. Boarpaints met its end after a great fire caused by the nobles, and properly finished off due to a goblin siege. I saw myself floating away, ready to meet my maker, when YONK, back down I was, just as spring arrived, and before the world ended.

I've gone through the loop six or seven times now. Everytime I die, we all go back, and no one else as far as I can tell remembers. My gut tells me I can break the loop by surviving long enough until whatever fell god has grown bored. Unfortunately, that's less than easy. The deck is very much loaded against me, and that's due to noble induced stupidity.

I've already died in various and interesting ways, occassionally when I get sick of dealing with the world around me. I got to tell you, that !!robe!! was a really fun way to go poof.

That being said, I'm not without help. Whatever force keeps me looping has given me a few powers to manipulate the world around me.

I can magically forbid things, preventing them from being used. That's kept the three of us alive for longer than we would be otherwise.

At least until the nobles arrive. Let me explain something, an individual dwarf is smart. But we're in a world surrounded by nobles. Nobles reach out, and control us and force us to bend to their way. I've already had many loops come to an end because of their stupidity. When a noble wants something, dwarfs are forced to obey them. My ability to forbid gets overruled, and we start hauling !!cat brains!! to the nearest shop which quickly turns us into !!dwarfs!!.

Of course, there's a worse fucker than regular nobles.

The King. This idiot only thinks about adamanite. I went through a loop where we mined out the vein, finding a curious chamber behind it. Let's just say none of us lived for long after that. After that reset, I've learned with great effort, I can fight the noble commands for a time, to prevent the stupidity from grabbing hold.

Unfortunately, for dwarven kind, without nobles, many of our basic functions simply don't work. We can't manage work orders, provide law and order, or even trade effectively. Fortunately, there is an out. Most nobles, if killed, will respawn, but there is only one king. If the king dies, we free ourselves from the worse of the stupidity. Fortunately, I think I have a solution to this. Here's my four step plan.

1. Fix the King
2. Put the fires out.
3. Open our doors.

This should return us to a bearable level of stupidity without immediately ending our existence. I know what I need to do, but I feel like I have a long road ahead ...

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #473 on: July 09, 2016, 09:02:18 pm »

Part one of my "Save The Fortress" plan involves FUCKUNICORNS, a magma based weapon which has never worked right. At the start of the loop, magma floods into the channel, and does NOTHING. Furthermore, I've learned how to seal the fortress up from the outside, and isolate the three survivors on the far-side of the magma river. The first bit is the installation and the connection of a new floodgate near the aqueduct to raise the magma from the channel and onto the surface.

I've also attached a new passageway connecting West Boarpaints to FUCKUNICORNS. I'm going to prove you can FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE. Unfortunately, just before I finished hooking up the new floodgates, the king arrived in this loop!

NO!

I can feel the stupidity taking hold.

I. MUST. RESIST!

With great effort, I slam the door shut on the entrance, trapping the king and the nobles outside.

You fuckers can stay out there while I work. Unfortunately, I need to be fast. His power over me is strengthening.

Must not let that mandate fail, or succeed. The wiring is done!.

Ha.

Haha. The idiots thought that was an entrance.

Hahaha. The cave river tries to flood.

Hahahaha.

Hahahahahha.

It's glorious.

It sweeps the world!

It fucks unicorns!

We are purified!

The humans meet FUCKUNICORNS!

A small island survives

Almost everything is dead ...

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #474 on: July 09, 2016, 09:28:13 pm »

As the world burns, I've decided to brush up on my growing.

We need a more reliable source of food anyway that isn't under magma.

I've also learned a few things. First, magma won't flow through fortifications.

I also learned that spider silk cloth is magma safe ...

Anyway because of THAT, it turns out you can't fight fire with fire. The piles of !!crap!! will happily keep burning under layers and layers of magma. As such, I need a new approach. Based off the design of FUCKUNICORNS, I give you all FUCKFIRE. First, I let the magma flow away, and begin work on my next construction project.

FUCKFIRE will fill the world with cleansing water, and let us stop burning to death due to noble induced stupidity.

Ah.

Ahhhhh. No more fire.

---

Uh oh.

Turns out pulling the shutdown lever didn't unflood the place. Fortunately, we have a device that can fix THAT. Let me introduce the world to the power of STEAM!

The magma is released, and a soaring cloud rocks through the the fortress.

Fighting for supremacy, the river decided to flood even harder, but FUCKUNICORNS will not be denied.

The magma reaches the surface, and becomes aerosolized. http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2781-watervsmagma

Ah fuck.

Your lives will not end in vain; you die to help restore Boarpaints to greatness.

I must say I slept well that night.

In the morning, I shutdown the magmaflows.

As I walked through west Boarpaints, I couldn't find a single sign of fire. We're officially habitable again.

I've done my duty. The price was high, the work exacting, and my body is exhausted, but all I've got to say is: In your face fell gods!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 09, 2016, 09:40:30 pm »

Upload a version of the save after that, I want to scour the fort to see what it looks like after that.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #476 on: July 09, 2016, 09:55:34 pm »

Upload a version of the save after that, I want to scour the fort to see what it looks like after that.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12247

Here you go. The place is remarkably clean. After liberal application of fire, magma, and water, there's no more blood encrusting the main entrances, almost all the corpses were dissolved, and the bone piles sublimed. Once I get migrants, it will be a happy place again (I'll probably pass the save as soon as the next migrant wave comes in).

EDIT: For the sequel, can we get mod it that when dwarfs die, they become raw dwarfite, which can be extracted and smelted into dwarfite wafers? I figure that plate mail must be good if we have to kill 9 dwarfs and extract their bones to get the necessary materials to get it.

EDIT: Make sure you hit "u", you can get a good idea on the impact I've left on Boarpaints.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:59:25 pm by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #477 on: July 10, 2016, 12:30:52 am »

As Autumn and Winter bear down on us, I've turned myself towards more noble pursuits.

Making cheese. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of luck catching any maggots. With just two of us, work has been going rather slow.

I slaughtered some horses in hopes of increasing our luck, but alias ...

My quest seems to be cheeseless.

---

The goblins showed up

I think anyone can guess what happened next.

Annoyingly, a few goblins found refuge near the front of the fortress where the (now dry) magma channels diverted the path of the magma. However, enough of them were killed that when the magma flood was ended, they turn tale and ran.

They also left a burning pile of goblin on the front lawn.

I *just* got this place cleaned up.

---

Our baiting efforts ran into a batman today

Fortunately, a trap and punches to the head solved THAT problem.

---

Finally! A maggot!

Time to make cheese ...

However, before I could get that more glorious of substances, I felt something grab me, as though I were loosing control. In my shock, I dropped the maggot, and ...

... I think I'm free ...

Perhaps once there are more of us again, I'll petition to join the royal guard. Seems fitting as I've protected this fort from Dwarven stupidity.

---

EDIT: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12248 - come and get it. Two dwarfs still standing. Migrants should come soon. I hope. If they're willing to brave this horrifying tomb.

Next overseer should expect the humans to come and lay seige given I magmaed their wagons.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:35:58 am by NCommander »

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 10, 2016, 01:05:00 am »

Holy crap. You know, I think this is the first succession fort that I've seen which involves noble genocide.

And sure, I bet I can do stuff with dwarfite.

Sending a PM to Gwolfski.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #479 on: July 10, 2016, 02:16:11 am »

Holy crap. You know, I think this is the first succession fort that I've seen which involves noble genocide.

And sure, I bet I can do stuff with dwarfite.

Sending a PM to Gwolfski.

^- nominated for quotes bank.

Nobles always will come with migrants. We'll get a full set with the next wave minus the king. I just felt it fitting that I fixed FUCKUNICORNS and we had to de-king the place. Plus I was getting pissed at having to keep canceling "take item to shop", which caused them to pick up !!brains!!, and die. Only way to save it was kill everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 44