Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 115814 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (A Succession Game... in v0.23a???)
« Reply #570 on: August 10, 2016, 05:50:07 am »

(("Yeah, pretty sure it's the white one."))
Ahahahahaha. Does this game version have Notes? It reminds me of Splint deleting all the notes on all the levers in the necrothreat succession to mess with future overseers.

Though merely building a room full of unlinked grey levers will do that.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #571 on: August 10, 2016, 06:26:06 am »

Does this game version have Notes?
It does not - they weren't added until version 0.28.181.39d (no doubt due to incidents exactly like this one).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #572 on: August 10, 2016, 10:59:07 am »

you have no idea of the sounds these updates are causing me to make as I cackle about the results of my project
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

ApatheticExcuse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 10, 2016, 11:03:28 am »

Does this game version have Notes?
It does not - they weren't added until version 0.28.181.39d (no doubt due to incidents exactly like this one).

Back when I played this version regularly, I found the only way to keep track of all my shiznat was to build coffins above my levers, rename a dwarf to whatever the function of the lever was, and make it their tomb.

"This is the final resting place of FrontGate Dwarfson."
"This is the final resting place of MagmaForges Sobek"
"This is the final restingplace of DONTPULLTHATITKILLSUS McDwarf"

Notes are a good feature.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #574 on: August 10, 2016, 06:23:03 pm »

i love how people in this fort thought one extremely flawed flooding device wasn't enough, so they built another extremely flawed flooding device that has to be cleaned up using the first one, which has itself been modified at least twice (once to fix it flooding the fort, and then again to. . . make it flood the fort again. We're good at this.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #575 on: August 10, 2016, 10:29:40 pm »

I'll have to look over the migrants code again, but I'm pretty sure that deaths do impact migrant wave sizes - it just don't display messages when it happens.
I just analyzed 0.23.130.23a's migrant code - the "target population" is based on total wealth, explored tiles, and deaths over the past 5 years (with nobles carrying an enormous penalty, a dead King counting 10,000 times as much as a normal dwarf). Once you discover Adamantine, though, the above calculations are discarded and your target population is unconditionally equal to your population cap - dwarves love it so much that they don't care that your fortress is a cursed deathtrap.

After that, it compares the "target population" with your last reported current population to figure out how many migrants to send, and then it limits that based on the size of your (u)nits screen.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 11, 2016, 08:57:52 pm »

Finally got around to reading the updates now, and I'm laughing my ass off.

Also quietust: when does the game calculate last reported population? Is is done automatically or is it done when the dwarven caravan comes?
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

ApatheticExcuse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 11, 2016, 09:14:27 pm »

Finally got around to reading the updates now, and I'm laughing my ass off.

Also quietust: when does the game calculate last reported population? Is is done automatically or is it done when the dwarven caravan comes?

I'll hopefully have another one done up tonight or tomorrow. Oddly, I'm finding more time to play at work then at home right now, so it's kinda messed up my original "get it done quick for you guys" schedule.

I hope to Jeebus it updates automatically. I'm not too sure we're going to have a caravan get through the inevitable wall of flaming death that accompanies sieges.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #578 on: August 11, 2016, 09:43:54 pm »

i love how people in this fort thought one extremely flawed flooding device wasn't enough, so they built another extremely flawed flooding device that has to be cleaned up using the first one, which has itself been modified at least twice (once to fix it flooding the fort, and then again to. . . make it flood the fort again. We're good at this.

To be fair, we had legitimate reasons for all of this, but I can't help but think we need a door and a lever to control if the inner fort gets flooded or not. Maybe upgrade it so we can also magma the other sections as needed.

Whether or not they were truly as terrifying as required to justify the holocaust that had occurred here is something better left to men more philosophical than I to determine.

I can't wait until he comes across the fact that the annihilation he knows about is merely the latest one rather than the only one.

Well most of them were accidental dwarfite smeltings. One was intentional.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 11, 2016, 10:27:07 pm »

Whether or not they were truly as terrifying as required to justify the holocaust that had occurred here is something better left to men more philosophical than I to determine.

I can't wait until he comes across the fact that the annihilation he knows about is merely the latest one rather than the only one.

These. Quote bank. Congrats.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #580 on: August 11, 2016, 10:50:18 pm »

when does the game calculate last reported population? Is is done automatically or is it done when the dwarven caravan comes?
When the Dwarven caravan leaves, your population at that moment (as well as the death counts over the past 5 years, which itself "rolls over" at the 15th of Timber) is sent to your civilization and is used for all subsequent migrant waves until the next caravan.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 12, 2016, 12:48:33 am »

when does the game calculate last reported population? Is is done automatically or is it done when the dwarven caravan comes?
When the Dwarven caravan leaves, your population at that moment (as well as the death counts over the past 5 years, which itself "rolls over" at the 15th of Timber) is sent to your civilization and is used for all subsequent migrant waves until the next caravan.

So if you magma the caravan before it leaves, no one will know that your fortress is a death-trap? Got it.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #582 on: August 12, 2016, 06:33:27 am »

So if you magma the caravan before it leaves, no one will know that your fortress is a death-trap? Got it.
Almost - when calculating your target population, it uses normal death counts reported to the Mountainhomes, but Noble death counts are taken directly from your fortress, yet another instance of Monarchy (and Nobility in general) travelling faster than the speed of light.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #583 on: August 12, 2016, 06:41:17 am »

Almost - when calculating your target population, it uses normal death counts reported to the Mountainhomes, but Noble death counts are taken directly from your fortress, yet another instance of Monarchy (and Nobility in general) travelling faster than the speed of light.

You read Pratchet?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #584 on: August 12, 2016, 06:22:16 pm »

yet another instance of Monarchy (and Nobility in general) travelling faster than the speed of light.

You read Pratchet?
No, but I'm familiar with that quote because it's been discussed previously in the context of Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44