Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 115948 times)

Waistcoats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | NEW OVERSEERS DESPERATELY NEEDED)
« Reply #615 on: September 04, 2016, 05:50:50 pm »

I get the sense this is against my better judgement, but I can certainly give it a go!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #616 on: September 04, 2016, 09:57:01 pm »

In an effort to better understand the mess of levers in this fortress, I've written a DFHack-23a plugin lever_links to display trigger linkages while in BuildI[t]em mode - when viewing a building's contents, select a mechanism and it will print the name of the linked building (and flash it if it's on-screen) and give you the option to [z]oom to it (with the cursor positioned so you can zoom back again).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 04, 2016, 10:23:26 pm »

That's unexpected and great. Does it work both ways?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #618 on: September 05, 2016, 07:43:30 am »

That's unexpected and great. Does it work both ways?
If by "work both ways" you mean "query levers to find targets and query bridges/floodgates/etc. to find levers", the answer is Yes.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 05, 2016, 04:56:30 pm »

Waistcoats: Feel free to take the save and give it a go! It should be the most recent one located in the turn list.

Also: Hooray for DFHack plugins! All praise Quietust!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 07, 2016, 01:01:04 pm »

Can I have a turn? of course, considering I haven't played 2d DF before today, I am going to probably destroy the fortress. but, hey, alcohol explosions and guts everywhere are just part of a working fort, right?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 07, 2016, 06:35:26 pm »

Can I have a turn? of course, considering I haven't played 2d DF before today, I am going to probably destroy the fortress. but, hey, alcohol explosions and guts everywhere are just part of a working fort, right?

Of course you can! Considering that waistcoats hasn't responded, you can take the save right now.

It is here: LINK
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #622 on: September 07, 2016, 07:21:00 pm »

Be warned, though: there are only 2 living dwarves, and it'll be 2 months before migrants arrive (assuming the Goblins send babysnatchers instead of thieves just after the Elven caravan).

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | THE END OF BOARPAINTS)
« Reply #623 on: September 11, 2016, 10:06:53 pm »

Okay. This has now officially come to the point at which I am now completely unable to figure out what to do next. I absolutely cannot pester people at this point, because I'm at best able to devote time to the forums every 4-5 days because of college.

Combined with the fact that the chances of fortress salvage are extremely slim at this point, it is with a heavy heart that I am forced to bring !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! to an end. Sorry everyone.

I'll be typing up a conclusion to the saga of Boarpaints once I get the time to do so.

And one last thing: I do plan to start !!THROWBACK FORTRESS 2!! at some point in the future, although it will probably be next year. It will be in 40d, with a couple of special mods that I made earlier on. I'm sure that it'll be just as great as this fortress was.

I'll see you guys around.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 11, 2016, 11:09:53 pm »

We ended with only two people left alive right?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #625 on: September 12, 2016, 01:14:34 am »

Yep.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 12, 2016, 01:18:30 am »

Yep.

Whelp, we can tack on another similarity to Boatmurdered, then.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #627 on: September 12, 2016, 08:01:35 pm »

I suppose it's fitting I survived until the end of Boarpaints. I did burn the place down. I do have some spare time TBH, I could write a final conclusion to close this out this weekend if people want.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 12, 2016, 09:17:24 pm »

I suppose it's fitting I survived until the end of Boarpaints. I did burn the place down. I do have some spare time TBH, I could write a final conclusion to close this out this weekend if people want.

That would actually be pretty cool if you could. I'm still planning to write something up that would tie this into the next fort, so I'll try to tie what you write into my own thing.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #629 on: December 26, 2016, 02:15:41 am »

OOC: I promised a finale and I'm writing it now

This is a scorched masterwork journal owned by Kol 'NCommander III' Uristlaven. It contains the final records of Boarpaints

I don't know how long it's been. Me and Iden remain the last two survivors after the great fortress fire, and the purging of the nobles. Ever since that rent in time, I can't help but think that something has gone wrong with the world.

Not a single dwarf has come since we reclaimed Boarpaints. Year after year, the goblins continue to siege us, only to be met at the hands of a fiercy firery death. Iden and I have learned to cope, we've learned to grow, we survive.

I can't help but wonder what he thinks. Ever since the fire, he's been quiet and I often go days at a time without seeing his beard in the many hallways that make up Boarpaints. We've been underground for so long that we've lost track of the time.

---

"Iden, I'm going to leave. Try and find others, do you wish to come?"

He nods. We decided. We shall leave the cursed earth and find new grounds.

---

The next several pages are unreadable

---

A mistake ... as crossed the hills beyond Boarpaints, we found nothing but goblins, and other nightmares. We ran, but Iden was too slow. Sprinting into Boarpaints, I locked the doors behind me, and flooded the fortress. I stand alone.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44