Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Frontier Fortress [WIP]

(1/9) > >>

Cthulhu_Pakabol:

Something of a conversion mod- this turns the Dwarf Fortress you know and love into a wild west simulator!

The age of great beasts is ended. Though magic is not gone from this world, it is certainly less prevalent- while night creatures stalk the dark and titans roam the land, long past is the time where heroes in gleaming armor fought dragons and giants. That world is dead, and a new one beckons- but for the settlers that venture out to colonize it, a strange and uncanny land awaits. A land of false gods, animal-headed men, and savage cannibal tribes. Here, in this foreign frontier, you must carve out a settlement worthy of your nation's pride- but lasting success is, like all things in this place, a dubious proposition.

DOWNLOAD

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11855 (Alpha 0.5.1)- No additions, just updated the mod as necessary to be usable with the new 43.01 changes! Enjoy!

MAJOR CHANGES

Gone are dwarves, elves, and goblins. Instead, there are four "races" of humans occupying this world:

Settlers, the technologically competent and imperialistic men and women that are highly similar to vanilla humans, armed almost entirely with firearms and decked out in the latest in frontier fashion. These folk seek to spread their message of "advancement and freedom" all over the world- though they may have to dispense more than a few bullets doing so. They are also the fort-mode playable race.

Natives, the "noble savages"- they defend nature with a fierce intensity, have an uncanny ability to get along with animals, and coat their primitive arrows and blowdarts with venom. At close range, they engage with crude melee weapons like clubs and spears, and wear nothing but loincloths, thongs and headdresses. Known to eat their enemies, as well as (foolishly) impose "tree quotas" on their neighbors.

Cultists, former settlers and natives deprived of their sanity by exposure to forces beyond their reckoning. They live in pits dug around great slade spires which house their false and cruel gods, use outdated and brutal weaponry (along with some firearms), and are uniformly clad in cold, unfeeling masks and ragged, rough robes- individuality, after all, being the death of mindless obedience. They attack anyone who opposes their theocratic ideals, and are known to kidnap and indoctrinate children.

Revenants, walking, talking human skeletons that inhabit mountains and grave-mounds. They have a monarchistic society, and are shrouded in mystery.

Firearms:

This mod uses a very, very simplified system of firearm making, derived from the firearm system of "The Fall" by Deon. Gunmaking is accomplished simply by making a gunsmithery, and then crafting guns and ammo there like you would in any other weapons shop- no special ingredients needed. Guns fall under the categories of:

Pistol: Pistols and Revolvers.
Rifle: Bolt and Lever action rifles.
Shotgun: Single and Lever action shotguns.

Long guns (rifles and shotties) use the crossbowman skill (which has been renamed to marksman.) Pistols/revolvers use the bowman skill (renamed to gunslinger.) In addition, both bows and blowguns are now governed by the blowgunner skill (renamed to ranger) to facilitate the poison-coated projectiles of the native civ.

Clothing:

Many of the vanilla clothes have been removed and replaced by more diverse, setting-appropriate clothing items. This is purely cosmetic. Actual armor also no longer exists.

There have also been some other miscellaneous changes, like more varied threats/phrases to be used in speech and altered artery locations in the main 3 races. (Expect a lot more bloodspray during gunfights.) This mod also uses the Duerer tileset, though this can easily be changed to whatever you like.

This is about all that's been changed for now. However, hopefully more will be added on/changed as feedback comes in.

Credits to:
Deon for his firearms code from "The Fall" as well as his entity naming system.
Kiwiphoenix for his help with firearm features and other suggestions.

Forwe:
Cheers, the mod sounds awesome, although I have a question; is this mod made compatible for adventure mode, or it only works "right" when playing fort mode?
EDIT: nvm, just found your thread on Adventure Board, sorry
2EDIT: I don't know whether it's possible or not, but would it be possible to make rifles and shotguns require multigrasp? I think it would be a bit more suitable

Cthulhu_Pakabol:

--- Quote from: Forwe on March 15, 2016, 02:55:09 pm ---Cheers, the mod sounds awesome, although I have a question; is this mod made compatible for adventure mode, or it only works "right" when playing fort mode?
EDIT: nvm, just found your thread on Adventure Board, sorry
2EDIT: I don't know whether it's possible or not, but would it be possible to make rifles and shotguns require multigrasp? I think it would be a bit more suitable

--- End quote ---

Hey, thanks! Glad you're enjoying it.

And that's odd, I thought ranged weapons were multigrasp by default, though I must've been mistaken. I'll get on changing that up right away!

Oh, and to anyone that tries this out, I'd love feedback/bug reports/suggestions of any kind. This is my first mod and I want to do it right. Hope you have fun!

Cthulhu_Pakabol:
Updated to alpha 0.2!

Some miscellaneous changes made in this update. Rifles and shotguns are now two-handed, rifle bullets and shotgun pullets have had their size reduced to fix weight problems, Settler civ changed to [SITE_CONTROLLABLE] instead of [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] (CIV_CONTROLLABLE is outdated, I think). "Normalized" the underground- essentially got rid of the more fantastical creatures down there (I.E, cave dragons, cave ogres, etc.) Also, natives had their ethics changed to be a bit more morally grey.

Forwe:
I'll try and post some feedback from adventuring today or tommorow, as soon as time allows basically ^^ The half an hour I spent before was great fun :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version