Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Frontier Fortress [WIP]  (Read 7306 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Frontier Fortress [WIP]
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2016, 08:09:10 pm »

As to the issue of ranged training in this mod, instead of (or perhaps in addition to) increasing the rate of learning for ranged skills, what about giving Settlers NATURAL_SKILL in ranged weapons?

Thematically it doesn't seem too ridiculous - a gun-focused culture raises their children to know how to shoot from a young age, thus all adults have at least passable skill. Of course, babies popping out as competent gunslingers will look a bit silly.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2016, 09:56:08 pm »

It would look silly, but certainly seems like a decent supplement to ease of learning the weapons. Would also actually make the concept of pressganging the whole town to fight with ranged weapons a little less wasteful, since they'll actually have something vaguely resembling accuracy right out the gate.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 02:21:05 am »

I suppose that would make them or most of them into gunslingers, so armies should be more interesting in that regard.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 12:46:59 am »

Oh damn, the new DF version is here. As soon as all my finals are done I'll get into implementing these new changes- for now I'll see about getting the mod all shipshape for 43.01!

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 03:21:18 pm »

Updated to 43.01! No new features as of yet, but now you'll be able to build your ideal homestead, so that's nice.

Daelonnn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2016, 03:55:59 pm »

Wow, this seems really cool. Do you by chance have a version that works with 42.06?

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2016, 06:14:01 pm »

Ah crap, I haven't been making backups of the old version- but I'll see what I can do. Shouldn't be impossible to give you a 42.06 version.

As for development going forward, I was making good progress today, but then one wrong button press turned my ZIP into a regular old file- and that meant all the info inside, all the folders and raws and everything, became completely useless. I have to go to a party right now, but with any luck, I'll be able to re-do all the update work I lost and come it with a new version tomorrow (or even tonight.)

Here are the forthcoming changes:

The long requested addition of an innate skill with guns for settlers is finally being implemented! Settlers will now have an innately competent skill with guns, both long guns (rifles/shotties) and pistols/revolvers. Blast away!

We'll also be seeing the addition of the Ferals, a hybrid of the natives and the cultists that are even more savage and cruel than the latter. They'll be low-tech, but strong and numerous.

And there will also be some new beasts to fill out the world. Stay tuned!

Daelonnn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2016, 06:39:13 pm »

Cool beans man. Those ferals and beasts sound pretty awesome.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2016, 07:07:06 pm »

I'm still in favor of calling them outright Savages and renaming Natives to Tribals maybe - shows the settlers have more respect for them than they do their more wild and belligerent cousins. Or possibly simply modify their description to refer to them as a fairly friendly tribal society, rather than refer to them as "noble savages" (as their martial/war honor-related cannibalism may preclude them being called such by civilized folk...)

Buuuut that's more of a nitpick than anything.

Daelonnn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2016, 10:29:46 am »

I dunno, calling them Ferals reminds me of the Fallout ghouls. I'm with you on the Tribals though.

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 09:58:17 pm »

Is this still ongoing? Trying to install on Mac but it's not working
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]