Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 52

Author Topic: The End of Doomforests: The Final Turn that Never came  (Read 91518 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: The Final Doom of Doomforest: The Calm Before the Storm
« Reply #330 on: June 03, 2016, 12:54:15 am »

The Guide's Orders
Veterans of Deathgate
14 of Granite 1074

---

We have follied. In Our haste, we did not understand.

In our holy texts, the Checkerboard says that Red must always play first. We assumed that this was a matter of practicality. Magma moves slower than water, and by allowing it to settle allows the Checkerboard to perform its most holy of tasks.

Instead the water defies gravity and does not flow. The Checkerboard is useless, and we must atone for Our mistakes.

---
OOC: Excuse the lack of A mode photos. The fort is borderline unplaying in A mode

Journal of Id "NCommander" Matulcog Italnis Gesis
3 of Granite 1174

Oh gods below.

A Checkerboard. Looks like it was used too.

Or else some madman decided that building grates ontop of obsidian floors was a good idea.

I've seen this damn thing before, back at Swordthunders. Some crazy madman came up with this "game" called Dwarven Checkers. He wasn't a mason so he decided that since demons come in a variety in colors, they would suffice.

Admittedly, its a pretty good defense system, but really? Using Hell to play a boardgame? I'd ask who was stupid enough, but I'm looking at the proof right now.

Basically, by using a grid of grates, you can trick demons into the board and for a time, they will just "stop". That lets you pour the magma in. By itself, it won't do much, but if you can cool the magma, with say, a ton of water, you get steam and obsidian.

Even a demon won't survive that.

Looks like they tried to reuse it too given all this water but failed to realize that the obsidian will form in the gaps in the grates and block the flow. You need to clean them out before the board can be reused. That engineering 101, make sure your system is clean before you reuse it.

Sheesh, first breaching hell, then this?

The idiots who ran this place are retroactively pissing me off.

---

We sense Him. Our Judge has discovered our mistakes and does not approve. An offering must be made but what?

A solution has appeared. Elves. In our visions, we have seen the elves of Deathgate destroyed by those who came before.

The order is given. A sacrifice must be made.

It is done. This elfs head shall be used for a far more noble purpose than it ever had in life. We have decided that we shall build a road paved with the finest materials to for this "Id" to walk on when he comes to this place. Our finest cutters have already begun clearing a path.

That still leaves with how We are supposed to reach the holy land. Eleven months remain. There is no choice. We must use steel and blood to reach the land below. A drawbridge is being installed to isolate the checkerboard controls from the rest of the fort.

As soon as it is completed, and their other tasks fulfill, Our solders will fight. We do not know if they can win the day, but We do not have another choice.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2016, 01:06:34 am »

3 of Granite 1174

---

I can sense Hell directly below me here. I try not to go down there if I have a choice. I've already got enough taint for one existence. But I do need answers. I need to know what happened here.

Fortunately, I have an ace in the hole. My little "trick".

You see, when I left Deathgate all those years ago, I found that when I sleep, I "remember" what happened. I see things as though I was there. Maybe some part of me is. I've stopped trying to understand it, but I won't be able to leave here until I get to the bottom of this. I saw some decent (and secure) looking bedrooms up near the caverns. Despite my unease, it will be nice to sleep in a real bed for once.

---
The Guide's Orders
Veterans of Deathgate
21 of Granite 1074

Our miners has reported that the path to the beast Spugac Rosmic Quazi is complete. A review of our standing orders revealed a most grivous mistake. Our archers have been using bone bolts, instead of the metal granted us by The One True God. This mistake has been promptly corrected.

With that taken care of, Our solders have begun to file into the cavern to find and eliminate this foul monster.

An acolyte says that she had an odd feeling when she passed one of the spearmasters on his way into the caverns. As though he had been touched. The acolyte asked the master his name, and he stated it was Id Matulcog. We have no one on the role with that name ...

---
4 of Granite 1174

No matter how many times its happened, I will never get used to being lit on fire. I'm never going to get used to that. And now since anyone who finds this journal might think I'm mad. I should probably explain.

I stated before I came from a place called Deathgate. That's true, but its not the whole story. Long story short, we dug too deep, and invaded Hell. We won. Yay us. Then a couple of overseers went mad, and decided to burn the place down. I left. End of story.

The thing is, when you've been to Hell, Hell sticks to you. In the many years of my existance, I've lived, fought, and died. I don't stay dead. I just wake up somewhere else. So, you get used to dying.

You don't get used to being ignited and melted to death.

I wish I could say the dream was crystal clear, and I understood all. I didn't. Just pieces of a larger puzzle. I was a Spearmaster ordered to fight some beast. I don't know why, just that it was.

My unit charged into the caverns looking for this Quazi, and I had the misfortunate of finding it first. I fought, but it turned on me and blew fire.

I might bitch about being cold all the time, but this isn't how you fix it. Before I knew it, the cavern was aflame.

Before I died, our captain, someone called "Guide", fought the beast one on one. Strange name, but I used to go by "NCommander", so who am I to judge. Still, he gives me the creeps.

At that point, the beast looked like more a pile of bone and blood than a monster.

He let a feral cry and landed the killing blow. The corpse immediately immolated itself.

Still, I'm no closer to figuring out the mystery of this place. And I feel like I'm being watched ... I don't think I'm going to sleep any more tonight.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2016, 02:51:44 am »

Another update soon. I just accidently the military ... (didn't notice one of the FBs was a webber)

EDIT: 25 dead. Marksdwarfs are on their way

RIP the entire mining team.

It's dead. The fort lives. Total body count looks to be 23. Strangely, I managed to kill off stressed dwarf primarily. Killed off 10 lords at least. The military screen looks like swiss cheese.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 03:17:31 am by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2016, 05:22:15 am »

First Acolyte of the Veterans of Deathgate
17th of Slate 1074
===

Our Guide is dead. Were it not for our timeline, I would have ordered a full month of morning over this. Perhaps he knew his time would come because just before his end, he told upon me what he had foreseen and what must be done.

I must continue his work, but before that, I must write about that brought us this ruin.

The Order of the Miner had made good headway towards carving a path for the Knights Templar to clear the scourge from the world.

The fire in the caverns had extinguished itself, and one of our veterans named their shield after the fight.

A stray goblin was found lurking in an disused section of the fort. Judgement was rendered and execution was swift.

A report had come in that the passage to a serpent beast had been completed. The monster had taken refuge within a lake. Our Marksdwarfs were able to flush it, and a quick stroke of the axe beheaded it.

Hoping to captialize on this quick success, a second mining tunnel was finished. What we didn't know at the time was in addition to its bite, it was also a webber.

OOC: I somehow managed to gloss over the fact it was a spider

The moment the tunnel was completed, the monstrous spider charged, and killed not only the miner, but a workdwarf not far behind him. That's when we realized our folly. Our military, who was stationed close by was quickly webbed and slaughtered.

With our military shattered, the venomous spider charged into the now unguarded gate and began to kill everything

Marksdwarfs were already in route, but the spider fled into the cavern stockroom and managed to get a few who had not headed the burrow orders. Two swordmasters near by died valiantly trying to save them

Just then, one of the marksdwarfs arrived. He hadn't reloaded metal bolts, but flying bone finally managed to get the first blood against this monster. The bolt managed to cripple one of its legs. With its mobility impaired, it chose to defend itself instead of risking attack.

However, its webs prevented us from getting anywhere close to landing a blow. Our marksdwarves would get webbed before they could fire a shot.

With careful manipulation, we were able to surround the nightmare and slay it. 23 are dead in its rampage, half of which were swordmasters, and spearmasters, and one unlucky marksdwarf.

The battle is over, but webs lay all over the cage traps. Already a survivor of the battle has gotten caged.

The question now is how do We move forward towards reaching the Holy Land and the One True God ...

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #334 on: June 03, 2016, 05:59:31 am »

Strawberries grown in hell...
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 03, 2016, 10:42:33 am »

Ryukan lay the message sheet down, thanked the black-robed messenger and just laughed.

That fool, he died because of a forgotten spider. In the end, Imic died not by my hands, but by a beast.

He laughed as the funeral message got soaked in the rain. The rain soaked him and the Walls of the City of Palanthas before him.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #336 on: June 03, 2016, 11:36:26 am »

Am I still alive?

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2016, 12:35:25 pm »

Am I still alive?
Probably, but not for long I would think. /OOC

D3 had walked the halls of this fort many times.  He knew it better than he knew some of his family.  Thus it pained him all the more to know that it was dying.  He sat at his desk, writing what would likely be his last letter to anyone. It read:

Dear Mother;

I'm writing this to inform you that I have failed in our goal.  I have been out played, and there are too many forces arrayed against me for there to be any reasonable hope of scavenging this.  Hell itself has been breached, and while the breach has been contained for now, it will likely not remain so for long.  I'll do what I can, but I doubt that I'll be able to keep the mad-dwarves here from opening it for much more than a year, likely less. 

There is also the threat posed by the Dark One, and his associates, the gods Gogol and Nifh.  They seek not only the destruction of this fort, but of all life as we know it.  I had hoped that by completing the plan we would have the power to oppose them, but it will not happen here.  If you wish to try again, put things into motion now, do not wait for word of the doom of this place to reach you first.  You also may want to name the next place something a little less ominous. There are forces in this world that are all to happy to make sure that such names are lived up to.

Your son, Drazoth the Third.

Sealing the envelope, he hands it to Kronk, telling him to stay away from this place, as he would not survive if he were to remain.  Tears in his eyes, Kronk bows his head and starts packing for the long trip back to The Family's home.  Once he left, D3 drank every drop of rum he had, and began to plan.  For he would not surrender all he and his siblings had worked for without a fight.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #338 on: June 03, 2016, 01:58:15 pm »

Right.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 03, 2016, 02:18:03 pm »

Gameplay AND Roleplaying together... The end times truly cometh.

You know, I just reread the old thread up to here, and it pains me that we now stand in the climax of this saga, when fate hangs on a knife edge.

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2016, 03:04:12 pm »

Did you seriously just murder the Prime Minister on a whim.  >:(

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2016, 05:47:52 pm »

Oh dear.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2016, 06:28:43 pm »

I haven't had a computer for a few days, so
1. FUCKING HELL READ MY NOTES I TOLD YOU ALL THIS ESPECIALLY THE BIT ABOUT THE OBSIDIAN FLOORS
2. GODDAMMIT MAN YOU DEFINITELY ON PURPOSE THE WHOLE MILITARY
3. BLOODY HELL HOW DWARVEN

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2016, 06:58:10 pm »

You're going to have to be more specific. I killed a lot of things on my turn.

Am I still alive?

For the moment. I'm working on that.

I haven't had a computer for a few days, so
1. FUCKING HELL READ MY NOTES I TOLD YOU ALL THIS ESPECIALLY THE BIT ABOUT THE OBSIDIAN FLOORS
2. GODDAMMIT MAN YOU DEFINITELY ON PURPOSE THE WHOLE MILITARY
3. BLOODY HELL HOW DWARVEN

eeek, I've been flamed.

1. The notes in-game don't say anything about obsidian floors. It says use ramps to cave them out but nothing about floors under grates.
2. "Eh, kinda" - Doomforest is almost forgetten beast free.
3. There's a bunch of other merchants stuck in the depo. I want to murder them, but I think Imic might be upset if I left the fort in the middle of a loyalty cascade ...

I didn't have time to read the entirety of the Doomforest threads. We need a summary ... or a tvtropes page.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:01:01 pm by NCommander »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2016, 07:08:21 pm »

Oh god... Not him... All is truly lost...

Can we revert the save???

And I'm a troper, and it is time we had a page, anyone want to do the honors?

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 52