Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 52

Author Topic: The End of Doomforests: The Final Turn that Never came  (Read 91219 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile

While there have been several overseers that I would openly call incompetent, you fall into one of the other two categories.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

While there have been several overseers that I would openly call incompetent, you fall into one of the other two categories.

Pray tell, what are the other two?
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They're right there. Victims of sabotage or victims of misfortune. These are just the categories of "bad" overseers.

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(OOC:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Aaaaaaarrrrggggghh, but more normally 3-6 so that’s… fine?
And onto more important matters: )

I’ve been given reports, but I’m not entirely sure what to make of them.
It is clear there is an underground war, where the crundles have split into two factions and, lacking the ammunition for the catapults they’ve built, are throwing their own soldiers at the opposing side. This seems to be about as effective as one might expect.

A child has been taken by a fey mood. Hooray, another legendary crafter.

Can’t we just lock him up again? (OOC: No offence meant, of course. Actually, maybe a little.)

Right, I’ve charged Don Pedro with the crimes. I believe he was out of prison for about ten days…

Oh, and I’ve just passed Psycho III in the corridor. He’s beginning to look a little unhappy. (OOC: Why do we have a PsychoAngel II and a Psycho III? Am I missing something?)

The underground war rumbles on… (OOC: Anyone have any idea what’s happening? There aren’t any nearby forgotten beasts or anything. Or catapults.)

Farewell, large rat, we hardly knew ye. Nor did we want to. What we do want to know is how you got here…
Well, it actually took about four more bolts and then the rat crawled downstairs to die, but you get the point.

That child with the fey mood has begun construction. It looks rather elaborate…

Elves have arrived to trade. Nasty, fickle things with no skill whatsoever at crafting. Then again, that means they’ll pay through the nose for even a taste of proper dwarven craftsdwarfship.

This is truly a great day for dwarfkind. Assuming the elves have anything useful, of course.

They don’t. Apart from a bit of food, which I buy, despite us having plenty already. I’m now tempted to use the… hospitality devices…
Not sure what it’ll accomplish, but killing elves sounds fun.

OOC: I’m slightly worried a tantrum spiral’s imminent. When I started the turn, there were two “Very unhappy” and seven “Unhappy”. It now looks like this:
I’m slightly worried Flame was wrong in calling me non-incompetent, and that’s quite a lot of well-trained soldiers…
I feel this is the perfect time for some forgotten beast-hunting, don’t you?

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile

D3 was sitting at his desk, making one last check to make sure he had everything he needed for his trip. Satisfied, he made some final checks to the device while waiting for Kronk to arrive with the final component.  The last few days had been stressful, but at least he was able to get some sleep.  Wouldn't want to repeat the earlier incident, now would he?  Kronk finally arrived, looking somewhat winded.

"What's the matter?  Were you followed?"

"No, but something odd is happening with the crundles."

"Dare I ask what?  Is this something that TechnoXan can handle or do we need to get involved?"

"I think he can handle it.  It seems that the crundles have found a way to launch themselves around, and seem to be using this to attack some remnants of the Seeing Eye they found."

"Ah yes, I remember him telling me about his new breed of 'Ballistic Crundles'.  Hopefully they remain loyal to him.  Now, install the power source but don't turn it on, I have instructions for you two."

Kronk looks around in confusion, before seeing Hans standing behind him, despite the door not having opened after Kronk had entered.  After recovering from this surprise, he installed a small object, about the size of a kettle, into a slot in the portal device.  It looked like a jar full of liquid soap, glowing with energy.

"While I'm away, there are some things I need you both to do.  Kronk, you are to finish up the list of places that need to be scouted.  I've gotten it started, but I likely won't be here long enough between trips to finish it myself.  Make sure to check in the book of dimensions that's on the desk there, to see if there's anything relevant in there.  If you see something that marks a world as having a high potential as a threat to us, mark it on the list.  You are also to open up the portal from here when I need to return.  We'll do some testing to make sure that messages will get through.  Hans, you are to continue to keep an eye out for the others who may have those portal schematics.  By the door there are some constructs that I have modified for you to control.  Plant them in locations where they will be able to pick up any interesting conversations.  The transmissions should be rather hard for others to detect, and they have been tamper proofed.  You can also assume direct control if needed.  Leave a note here if you find anything useful.  Alright, lets turn this thing on."

D3 walked over to the device and placed his hand on the controls, channeling his energy into them.  The runes covering the machine glowed faintly with power, and the portal opened.  It lead to a abandoned room in some other fort, who knows where.  D3 stepped through, and Kronk closed the portal.  After a few moments testing the comms spells, Kronk settled down at the desk and got to work.  Hans went to the small pile of constructs in the corner.  They all looked rather similar to Faustus, and Hans was not surprised to see the little thing sitting atop the others, like an elder brother lording over his siblings.  Hans grabbed him and another, leaving to get them into position.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

The thing about doomforests is that all the roleplaying distracted us from the beutiful cursed mess that is doomforests. We once had no miliatary! We once died! AND THEN WE CAME BACK
NOT BY RECLAIM!
BUT BY SHEER COURAGE!
this is a good day, for the ancient stronghold of Doomforests
LONG
LIVE
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMFOOOOOOOOOOOOREEEEEEEEEEEEESTS

D3 was sitting at his desk, making one last check to make sure he had everything he needed for his trip. Satisfied, he made some final checks to the device while waiting for Kronk to arrive with the final component.  The last few days had been stressful, but at least he was able to get some sleep.  Wouldn't want to repeat the earlier incident, now would he?  Kronk finally arrived, looking somewhat winded.

"What's the matter?  Were you followed?"

"No, but something odd is happening with the crundles."

"Dare I ask what?  Is this something that TechnoXan can handle or do we need to get involved?"

"I think he can handle it.  It seems that the crundles have found a way to launch themselves around, and seem to be using this to attack some remnants of the Seeing Eye they found."

"Ah yes, I remember him telling me about his new breed of 'Ballistic Crundles'.  Hopefully they remain loyal to him.  Now, install the power source but don't turn it on, I have instructions for you two."

Kronk looks around in confusion, before seeing Hans standing behind him, despite the door not having opened after Kronk had entered.  After recovering from this surprise, he installed a small object, about the size of a kettle, into a slot in the portal device.  It looked like a jar full of liquid soap, glowing with energy.

"While I'm away, there are some things I need you both to do.  Kronk, you are to finish up the list of places that need to be scouted.  I've gotten it started, but I likely won't be here long enough between trips to finish it myself.  Make sure to check in the book of dimensions that's on the desk there, to see if there's anything relevant in there.  If you see something that marks a world as having a high potential as a threat to us, mark it on the list.  You are also to open up the portal from here when I need to return.  We'll do some testing to make sure that messages will get through.  Hans, you are to continue to keep an eye out for the others who may have those portal schematics.  By the door there are some constructs that I have modified for you to control.  Plant them in locations where they will be able to pick up any interesting conversations.  The transmissions should be rather hard for others to detect, and they have been tamper proofed.  You can also assume direct control if needed.  Leave a note here if you find anything useful.  Alright, lets turn this thing on."

D3 walked over to the device and placed his hand on the controls, channeling his energy into them.  The runes covering the machine glowed faintly with power, and the portal opened.  It lead to a abandoned room in some other fort, who knows where.  D3 stepped through, and Kronk closed the portal.  After a few moments testing the comms spells, Kronk settled down at the desk and got to work.  Hans went to the small pile of constructs in the corner.  They all looked rather similar to Faustus, and Hans was not surprised to see the little thing sitting atop the others, like an elder brother lording over his siblings.  Hans grabbed him and another, leaving to get them into position.

Edit:  :(
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as I can remember, none of the FBs had any dangerous attacks. Sting/bite is worthless against a legendary soldier. What's the worst that could happen?

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That thing with the crundles is continuing. Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Drazoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Conspiracy intensifies
    • View Profile

Because RP is an integral part of this fort, like it or not.
Welcome to Doomforests, please, choose a cult of your liking or head to the overseers office to register your own cult. Religious freedom is pride of this fortress!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Because RP is an integral part of this fort, like it or not.

Doomforest IS synonymous with RPing, can't have one without the other
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile

Oooooooooooooh, fine.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don Pedro is now in hospital, resting from injuries incurred as punishment for crimes. Serves him right.

Just go mad already!

All our prayers are with PsychoAngel II and Edëm, the parents. We hope with all our hearts that he recovers. Recovers shortly, that is.

Well, yes. That’s sort of what the chains are for. Being locked up again wouldn’t be much good if you could wander off for a quick drink, would it?

The fey mood has finally finished. That’s very detailed.
Oh. Disappointing.

I have received numerous complaints that our soldiers are training outside in the snow. While I do worry about the mental stability of our heavily-armed soldiers, I don’t think a bit of snow will push them over the edge. A bit of cold never did anyone any harm. (OOC: The opinion of my old PE teachers)

I’m now mining into the caverns from that big stockpile room. Simo is getting annoying.

I eventually had to order about fifty soldiers to station because none of them were turning up!

We’re in the caverns and hunting down a gigantic monster with noxious secretions! (OOC: Well, worst case scenario, the framerate improves)

Sigh…
Back in my day we had proper forgotten beasts. None of this namby-pamby nonsense! I mean, I don’t want a Supergoat or anything, but it would be quite nice to be “slayer of something-or-other” and have people actually impressed by it.

You just can’t get the staff.

And this is exactly why you’re locked up.

Some migrants arrive. A metalcrafter, an animal dissector, a wax worker and dyer and a glassmaker. Ah, well, there’s plenty of hauling to be done..

For Olnen’s sake! How did you get there? Starve, then! See if I care!

Well, I did get them out eventually. By Olnen these caverns are a lot of effort.

I give up on this justice system. He is being locked up in a room and starved to death. Any objections? No? Good.

The “Super Happy Team” has been remade and now consists of Don Pedro. It has been stationed inside the queen’s dining room (one of a couple, actually, as I haven’t been able to find all of them and we have enough space anyway). I hope she doesn’t mind.
OOC:
If anyone has strenuous objections to me killing Don Pedro, now is the time to voice them.
If not, well, one less annoyance.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

I have an objection to his death. Please wall him up in a room on a diet of water and raw plump helmets. I have a use for him. Whens my turn?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sacasco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have an objection to his death. Please wall him up in a room on a diet of water and raw plump helmets. I have a use for him. Whens my turn?
Nah, too much effort. I'll just keep locking him up like before, then...
Oh, and Gwolfski, any preferences for re-dwarfing?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

Mechanic, Do i have any relations of my previous dwarf?

Naah, pick a random bugger, Mechanic, Custom title Mad Engineer.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 52