Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone have any luck rescuing broken saves in the following scenario?  (Read 1326 times)

uebersoldat

• Bay Watcher
  • I've got a gut feeling in my stomach...
    • View Profile

Upon launching I get 'Missing Creature Definition: GIANT_LION' and the game crashes.

I've checked the RAWS for this save and a LION_GIANT exists in the creature_large_tropical file. I've replaced that bit of code there with a known working LION_GIANT section from another save's RAWS but still get the same error in the problematic save.

Amusingly, I noted that if I change the RAW heading for LION_GIANT to GIANT_LION, the opposite error will come up, ie: LION_GIANT.

Does anyone know what this error might be referencing and how to fix it? Thanks!

EDIT: DF v0.42.06 w/ Starter Pack v0.11 (the latest cutting edge pack that works with .06 released last night)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:03:39 am by uebersoldat »

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
Re: Anyone have any luck rescuing broken saves in the following scenario?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 12:35:21 pm »

Does anyone know what this error might be referencing and how to fix it? Thanks!

EDIT: DF v0.42.06 w/ Starter Pack v0.11 (the latest cutting edge pack that works with .06 released last night)

Wall of text reason here. tl;dr reason: The DF repo graphics definition files (used by all the LNPs) are often out of date despite being labeled as "updated."

To fix your current issue, check to see if the author of the particular graphic set has updated the definitions. Barring that you'll need to update the graphic set definitions yourself.

I've replaced that bit of code there with a known working LION_GIANT section from another save's RAWS but still get the same error in the problematic save.

As an aside, you should never change your save's raws.
DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

uebersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 01:02:58 pm »

Hi, thanks for the reply!!

So, that's how it initially started. I was unable to change graphics packs due to this error, but it used to always work going back to ASCII (which honestly I prefer) but suddenly even that stopped working.

I tried launching DF without the LNP and I still got the error with vanilla.

I'd like to look into the issue technically if I just knew where to look, but it may just be gone...like tears....in....rain....

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 03:51:06 pm »

The error message says, "Missing Creature Definition: GIANT_LION"

It's referring to the graphic set definitions NOT the raw file definition. The graphic set definitions need to be updated.

Switching to ascii will circumvent the error (as you pointed out) because you would no longer be using an out of date graphic definition set.

My only guess as to why that method "suddenly" stopped working for you is because you specifically mentioned making edits to the raw files in the save (don't do that).

To be clear, the problem is present in all LNPs, but is not because of the LNP itself. The problem is that the DF graphics repo is often not updated (even though it is "updated!"); all LNPs use the DF graphics repo.

Launching DF without the LNP is not recognizing that the fish scale is actually a snake's ;]

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
The Delvers' Podcast

uebersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 04:16:01 pm »

Thanks again, sorry to trouble you further but I'd love to continue picking your brain a bit..

I don't recall tinkering with the raws until the ascii no longer worked for me. Provided that was indeed the case, is there an article anywhere where I can go edit the graphic set definitions pertaining to this error myself?

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 05:23:05 pm »

No trouble.

Generally speaking, you can find the syntax here. There is also a script Quiet-sun wrote (windows only) that you can run to weed out the culprits. Specifically the "Updater." You can then use the results to manually edit the definitions, if you don't want to restructure the rest of the set (i.e. use the other tools).

Also,

Do you have a copy of the save that does not have the raw edits you made?
What graphic set(s) are you having trouble with? The solution(s) might already exist in their respective threads.

The Delvers
The Delvers' Podcast

uebersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 05:36:47 pm »

Thank you very much, I will see what I can do with those tools. I do have a save of the raws before I tinkered with them, though it made no difference (I do some VBS stuff here and there so I was careful to change back what I had done anyway).

To answer the last question there, it happened at first with all graphics packs aside from the ASCII. Then for whatever reason (likely the culprit) even that stopped working, same error I used to get trying different graphics packs with that save. Two or three times I've tried, other saves working fine, then one day I went back to ASCII to play the newer fort and got the error.

I tried moving raws from other saves (I know, cringe) into the problematic save but I always got the same error.

I really don't have that much invested in the corrupted save, maybe a weekend's worth of work but my inner geek would really like to sort this out for any future incidents. Learning raws and graphics along the way sounds pretty fun.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 07:42:03 pm »

I really don't have that much invested in the corrupted save, maybe a weekend's worth of work but my inner geek would really like to sort this out for any future incidents. Learning raws and graphics along the way sounds pretty fun.

I understand. No worries.

To answer the last question there, it happened at first with all graphics packs aside from the ASCII. Then for whatever reason (likely the culprit) even that stopped working, same error I used to get trying different graphics packs with that save. Two or three times I've tried, other saves working fine, then one day I went back to ASCII to play the newer fort and got the error.

You lost me here. Although, maybe this is related to LNP. Hold on . . .

Okay, this is what I believe happened. Up front, I have never used LNP and I have very limited knowledge about the LNP. I've only briefed myself back in December from the thread I linked to earlier when these issues came up. In short, the LNP is the problem in your case.

My guess is that you are not manually switching your graphic sets and that you used the LNP interface to switch out to different sets and even ASCII, correct? In doing so you inadvertently edited the object raws of your save. In other words, your attempt to fix the problem using the LNP made the situation worse, unfortunately.

The actual problem is that years ago someone (IIRC Phoebus) invented "tileset magic", where via a number of colour and transparency tricks a carefully-drawn tile could look like many different things in-game.  This required changes to the object raws, and those are what cause all the compatibility trouble - most graphics packs are an unholy combination of tileset (hence data folder), mod (hence raw/objects), creature graphics, and now TwbT/DFHack files too.

Based on my limited understanding of how the LNP switches graphics (maybe someone will confirm or deny this) you are editing (or more specifically switching) object raws every time you use the LNP just to change graphic sets or turn them off. That in itself is . . . messy.

To rescue your save, you need the original save file before you tried switching graphic sets in the LNP. If you have that, you'll need to manually transfer the save to the version you want rather than rely on any method the LNP provides. Also, avoid using the LNP all together with this save.

If you need any auxiliary programs that come with the LNP in order to play, just download the ones you need separately.

I hope that helps.

The Delvers
The Delvers' Podcast

uebersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 10:43:21 pm »

HA! You know what? This all started happening when I (attempted) updated the save with Phoebus. Now that you said that things are clicking into place. Using DFHack too with twbt too...seems a recipe for corruption.

Despite that, I feel like if I dig deep enough I can fix it...but thank you again for you help and patience sir.